advertisement

Downsize DSLR

Tenson

Trade: AudioSmile
I have a Nikon D90 with 18-200 VR lens. I love it for the image quality, but I am starting to be lazy about taking it with me due to the size and mostly the weight.

What would you replace it with that is more portable? I've heard good things about the Sony NEX-7. Canon just launched the EOS-M.

I guess I can't have an optical view-finder on any of these no matter how much one pays? This is the most difficult thing to give up for me. I tried the view-finder on Robs Olympus XZ-1 and it didn't really do it for me.

I have a Nikon D90 with 18-200 VR lens. I love it for the image quality, but I am starting to be lazy about taking it with me due to the size and mostly the weight.

What would you replace it with that is more portable? I've heard good things about the Sony NEX-7. Canon just launched the EOS-M.

I guess I can't have an optical view-finder on any of these no matter how much one pays? This is the most difficult thing to give up for me. I tried the view-finder on Robs Olympus XZ-1 and it didn't really do it for me.

TBH Simon , i subscribe to an extent to the opnion that is if it's big it's pobably going to do a good job.

I now own a Nikon D200.

I ebayed it on spec, had never seen or handled one before. When I got it and picked it up I thought Nooooooooooooooo........far too big. Its going back on e bay.

I was told to give it a go and see..

I did and suddenly decided the last owner wasn't getting it back.

As a matter of interest Ive also e bayed a little Lumix compact /pocket thing (for £4!!!:D) whch does a surprisingly good job (DMC FX3 ).

So(for me) the D200 for arty stuff.

The little lumix for some thing abit more portable.

I remember reading about a guy on here who'd bought a micro 4/3rds camera to sit in between his mobile and his full sized SLR. What I couldn't help but notice was an update post by him a year on, saying that he'd really not used it. It was still less convenient than the phone, and not as good quality as his full sized SLR.

So my suggestion would be to use your mobile for snapshots, thus eliminating ALL excess by carrying another piece of gear, then get a couple of decent primes to go with your SLR. I'm really not a zoom fan anymore, and prefer using an 85mm and 35mm on my full frame SLR. For your D90, the nearest would be around a 50mm (which are cheap, simple and high qualiy for the dosh) and a 24mm (no idea how much they cost). Both together would probably weigh less than your zoom.

Simon,

Have a look at a Fuji X10. It's small, lightweight and has an optical finder.

Picture-12.png

The only real downside is its small sensor (i.e., you won't have much depth of field and noise will be intrusive at higher ISOs), but that's common to most compacts.

Joe

buy a 50mm f1.8, and feel liberation!

Or, even better, the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX lens. This will give similar coverage as a 50mm lens on a full-frame Nikon. It's a great lens - light and compact and a very fine optical performer. You will not only find the weight significantly less, but the balance of your camera will be much better.

Tenson,

try the Fuji X-100 or the larger X-pro1 with the 35mm lens. They're making a zoom lens for the latter later this year. I could even meet you in a London pub to show you how they compare to your D90

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll read up on those Fuji models.

I actually already have an 50mm F1.8 prime and very rarely use it. I LOVE my 18-200mm lens. I can't imagine how anyone would be able to 'capture the moment' if they need to change a lens. I frequently use 30mm - 200mm. I don't tend to use less than 30mm though.

I'd consider keeping my lens and downsizing the body. To be honest I have some great pictures taken on my D60 with the 18-55 lens. The only thing I really appreciate about the D90 is better iso performance.

I have had some great results with a Canon G9. I also have useda Panasonic Lumix GF-1 to good effect. However, I find I tend to go for either the Canon as it is compact or the DSLR.

Panasonic's newer 14-42mm powerzoom changes things a bit as it is significantly more compact than the standard 14-42 or 14-45 which I use.

Recently made the switch from a Nikon d80 to a sony nex5n. Amazing iso performance, and generally great camera to use. However the e mount is rather limited, but adapters with manual focus peaking make this liveable.

Very much worth a try as is the nex 7.

So far I think the Fuji X10 looks like a good option. I've read there is an issue with over-exposed areas coming out as noticeably round white disks though. Any experience with that?

Also, how easy is it to get a background 'out-focused'? The closer lens to sensor distance means you need a lower F number to get the same depth of field.

Simon,

Also, how easy is it to get a background 'out-focused'?
The X10 is a good compromise if you want a compact camera with an optical finder and reasonable zoom range. The X10 has a small sensor, though, so it isn't ideal if you need shallow depth of field or low noise at high ISOs. That's the trade-off with a small-sensor compact, so if either or both of those matter stick with your D90 or something with a larger sensor.

I had a good look at an X10 and it's an excellent compact that I almost bought as a replacement for my now-dead Nikon Ti35, but I decided a used X100, for just a bit more money, made more sense for me.

Here's a shot I just took with the X100 -- the Punkin, available light, 1/15 sec, f/4, 1600 ISO.

7633591612_a17ac3542b_z.jpg

I don't have an X10 on hand to compare, but it seems unlikely you'd get that much depth of field or as low noise at 1600 ISO with it. On the flip side, the X100 has a single focal length -- 23mm, which is equal to a 35mm lens's angle of view on a 35mm film camera. I think many would find that too restrictive.

All that said, if you work within the X10's limits it takes nice pictures (Fuji X10 samples).

Joe

Before you sell the D90, try a neoprene strap, it spreads the weight over your shoulder, far better than the branded one supplied,

Simon,

Have a look at a Fuji X10. It's small, lightweight and has an optical finder.

Picture-12.png

The only real downside is its small sensor (i.e., you won't have much depth of field and noise will be intrusive at higher ISOs), but that's common to most compacts.

Joe

Agree, great camera that, I have the X-100 and the thing I enjoy most about these two is their high ISO capability.
X-100 for super image quality , X-10 if you need zoom range.

i have been using the x 10 for about four months now and i take it all over, it never fails to delight,so long as you stay below iso 400 pictures are v good, out of camera jpegs are the best i have seen from a point and shoot.and good enough 99% of the time for A4 blow ups i have taken over 3,000 pics with it , the zoom is super sharp and fantastic to use. i also use a load of leica r gear and canon 1v with l series glass i got the x10 for a laugh and bit of fun but now i would not be without it . get one you will love it!

Agree, great camera that, I have the X-100 and the thing I enjoy most about these two is their high ISO capability.
X-100 for super image quality , X-10 if you need zoom range.

Can someone clear up a point for me; does a small sensor mean poor iso performance or simply fewer megapixals? The ISO performance on DP review looks a little poor to be honest, but it has that clever multi-snap averaging feature so maybe not to worry.

Also, do the optical viewfinders zoom in when you zoom the lens?

Anyone got experience of the Nikon P7100? The large sensor and 7X zoom are attractive. However the viewfinder is only 80% coverage.

Can someone clear up a point for me; does a small sensor mean poor iso performance or simply fewer megapixals? The ISO performance on DP review looks a little poor to be honest, but it has that clever multi-snap averaging feature so maybe not to worry.

Also, do the optical viewfinders zoom in when you zoom the lens?

Yeah smaller sensors mean less light is captured so poorer ISO performance.

I had a play with a X10 at the airport duty free & I'm sure the viewfinder zoomed.

advertisement

Back