advertisement

Dogs

Ignore Mullardman, he's a well-known dog hater.

Rescue home is the way to go. Pups are good, older dogs may be set in their ways. Avoid Jack Russells, they can be trouble, you need to be a dominant owner with them.

I’d love to have a dog, and I could offer it a large secure garden, lots of walks, lots of love etc.

The problem is that it would need to be alone for about 6 or 7 hours for one day a week. And for 3 or 4 hours for another couple of days. I could afford some doggy daycare but I don’t want to have to rely on it. I’ve always assumed that that was a deal breaker.

Anyway I’d thought I’d post here just in case it wasn’t a deal breaker. Would a rehomed mature dog be happy with that regime?

Last edited:
My first Border Terrier bitch stunk to hell, it turned out to be bad breath due to rotting teeth, once this was sorted out then she was no problem at all. (Teeth seem to be a bit of a weakness for the breed reading other owners reports on forums. To date my dog has had no problems and he has just made up 9)

I’d love to have a dog, and I could offer it a large secure garden, lots of walks, lots of love etc.

The problem is that it would need to be alone for about 6 or 7 hours for one day a week. And for 3 or 4 hours for another couple of days. I could afford some doggy daycare but I don’t want to have to rely on it. I’ve always assumed that that was a deal breaker.

Anyway I’d thought I’d post here just in case it wasn’t a deal breaker. Would a rehired mature dog be happy with that regime.
I really do not see how a large outdoor area with a kennel for day-time snoozes and some water is a problem with those hours you say you'd be apart. Unless it barks all day long. I'd get the dog. Particularly if you don't like your neighbours.

My first Border Terrier bitch stunk to hell, it turned out to be bad breath due to rotting teeth, once this was sorted out then she was no problem at all. (Teeth seem to be a bit of a weakness for the breed reading other owners reports on forums. To date my dog has had no problems and he has just made up 9)
Aaaah, lovely!

HarryB from my experience of the dog over 20 years your description of the breed does not tally with mine.

They are not angels LOL far from it, they are proper dogs albeit small, that need no invitation to chase anything with fur and will happily disappear down a burrow in an effort to get to it. Selective hearing is also a known problem when in this pursuit mode, but at the end of the day they are terriers and will happily dispatch the local rodent (rabbit, bird, fox,) population with a relish if you let them.

My view is its the owners that need as much training as the dog.

From my own experience of the breed I certainly would not discourage Richgilb from taking a look at one. (As a ex owner of a Welsh Border Collie, A black Cocker Spaniel, Dobermann's (both a Dog and a Bitch) Border Terriers are now the only dog I consider.

I love Jack Russells and Whippets, both great dogs with loads of character. I’d be a careful of a Jack Russell with small children because in my experience, they can be nervous and snappy (but not always of course)... however, please do go and visit some rescue shelters, these pooches need loving homes too. If I wasn’t disabled, I’d probably have a house full, dogs are just ace.

you want to watch your blood pressure mate.

watch where you place your feet, more like. i'm just back from my lunchtime amble, along what have quaintly become known as dogsh1t avenue and dogsh1t boulevard. i saw this thread before i popped out and made a mental note.

sooo... 5 landmines and 3 xmas decs. not bad, pretty much a typical day. and let's not forget the owners hurling balls for rover and fido to fetch, into the public drinking water supply, underneath the signs that read "please keep the muts nuts out of the drinking water", or words to that effect.i suppose i should be grateful that it's not humans that are defecating all over the place.

lovely :)

lolz

Rescue Centre every time. Dogs Trust look good to me.
Should well give you one to foster so you can see if they are ok.

No to a JR. We have 4.
Pure JR - a runner, barker and liability. Nice dog apart from that
JR/Probably Staffie - Fear aggressive, odd in too many ways. Kills mice, rats, rabbits and anything that moves. Not nice for me.
JR/Chihuahua x 2. Weird but lovely little dogs. Would consider another on foster as god knows what a JR/Chihuahua mix *could* give.

Staffies are lovely dogs and we might consider one when our pack of 6 becomes less.
Love Dachshunds although the current one is a pain.

Watch The Dog Whisperer when it is back on Pick. Great insight and 100% recommended

They are not angels LOL far from it, they are proper dogs albeit small, that need no invitation to chase anything with fur and will happily disappear down a burrow in an effort to get to it. Selective hearing is also a known problem when in this pursuit mode, but at the end of the day they are terriers and will happily dispatch the local rodent (rabbit, bird, fox,) population with a relish if you let them.
The last JR my Grandma had was a mouser par excellence. Her greatest joy was to disappear into my parents' veg garden and dig a crater worthy of the Somme. Fortunately she never dug up anything too valuable but a white backside poking out of a hole with spouts of earth flowing up in the air was a common sight.
I like cockerpoos. My neighbours in the old house had one, it was a great dog. It was friends with me and would come to the fence to be played with, even to the point of dropping a ball on my side of the fence if I didn't respond soon enough. He and I had a whale of a time, he was a puppy when I was injured and sitting around with nothing to do, so when he was in the back yard I would spend hours playing with him. I miss having him around. The last time I saw my old neighbours, about this time last year, he was all set to come home with me when I left. A great dog, daft as a brush but quite bright, bright enough to have worked out the bounce angle for a ball hitting a fence and to anticipate where it would go after the bounce.

Kelpie/collie cross...the smarts and trainability of a collie without the neuroses. Ours, and another one I know owned by friends, are loving, gentle and full of character.

How about Bedlington terriers? We have two and they have a superb sweet temperment. They love people and are very quite and clean around the house. They do need grooming because they do not shed hair. The old problem with copper toxicosis which used to affect the breed has largely been bred out of them and they will be tested genetically by a good breeder. They cannot be trusted with hens or rabbits but they are not in the mould as the 'noughty' terriers and are a much safer bet .

Border Terriers? You are joking. Nasty, snarling, aggressive towards other dogs. Never come across a nice one yet.
You've not met ours yet. Borders are great dogs, quite feisty and full of character. We encounter loads of them when we're at our second home in the Lake District, and I've yet to meet one that's "Nasty, Snarly, and aggressive towards other dogs". We've a black lab also, which the Border gets on very well with. Highly recommended as a pet.

advertisement

Back