advertisement

Dogs

I'd say option 2 or 3, as long as option 3 isn't an option 1.

We had an option 1 for a while. He was a complete bastard. Both we and our springer spaniel were glad to see the back of him.

Rescue/Rehome from somewhere that will vet you properly and match you up with a suitable dog. it would be a Staffie for us, we got Red from Battersea 8 and a bit years ago and you wouldn't find a sweeter, calmer dog ( though strictly speaking she's probably a Jaffie - we think there's some Jack Russell in the mix). On the whole all the Staffies we've met have been very affectionate.

Dogs, like cats, are generally well tolerated by their owners.

This is not necessarily the case with the rest of us, who only hear endless barking and only see dogshit and the equally offensive bright red dogshit bins strategically placed alongside otherwise pleasant footpaths.

Also.. the typical assurance that ' He won't bite', is no real comfort in the case of all too frequent cases of unleashed dogs deciding to growl at or jump all over some innocent dogless child or walker. I was recently attacked by a dog which the owner assured me had only done so because I awas carrying a stick. I was out walking FFS! The dog and owner were very lucky that I didn't give them a real reason to dislike my stick.

The fact that there are THREE sodding great vans now parked within a few hundred yards of my house proclaiming 'Dial a Dogwash' or somesuch.. plus the fact that another local resident is offering dog grooming services from their garden shed, quite possibly in contravention of local By-Laws, is further evidence that the current Dog Mania, is in need of further regulation.

If the number of deaths from dog attack in this country was matched by deaths from attack by, say, pet spiders, snakes, etc I'd be prepared to bet that much more regulation would have resulted. And pet snakes etc., don't generally shit on public footpaths.

End of rant.

Your avatar text. FIFY:

Resident Old Philistine Troll Git

Get one from a local rescue centre - register tell them what you want size, age and temperament wise and they will find a match. There are plenty of animals that just need a good home

eg

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/

http://abldr.org.uk/

Some have some problems which can't easily be trained out because of past treatment by previous owners, but even if you buy a "new" puppy you cant guarantee what they will be like either.

Most dog owners woefully underestimate the amount of stimulation and exercise dogs require to be happy and quiet. Please, please don't be one of them.

Jack Russels can be fun, but they can be aggressive to other dogs and noisy - I wouldn't consider one if I had neighbours too adjacent, they are great dogs if you live rurally and can let them off the lead in fields and woods and so on without bumping into too many other dogs, they're also great for rodent control. Whippets require a lot of exercise to prevent them becoming bored and destructive and generally don't like being left alone for long periods of time.

You say Greyhounds are too big - we've lived in a tiny 2-up -2-down with a massive greyhound and a tiny child for the last 2 years and it's been no problem. They are lovely, lovely dogs and among the quietest and lowest maintenance demand of any breed - but you can never, ever let an ex racer off the lead in an unenclosed space.

Personally, I wouldn't proscribe a breed, take the whole household to a rescue centre have a look at the dogs they've got and discuss how much exercise you can give it, how long it may be left alone and if it might be around children a lot, and they should be able to find you a lovely wuffer that's just right for you.

I'm lining up a min pin for when I retire...sadly a good few years away yet.

miniature-pinscher178474728.png

Get one from a local rescue centre - register tell them what you want size, age and temperament wise and they will find a match. There are plenty of animals that just need a good home

eg

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/

http://abldr.org.uk/

Some have some problems which can't easily be trained out because of past treatment by previous owners, but even if you buy a "new" puppy you cant guarantee what they will be like either.
I'm edging toward a young dog, not a pup.

Your avatar text. FIFY:

Resident Old Philistine Troll Git

'Troll' is an extreme ( and in this case wrong) appellation. I would be grateful if you would withdraw it. I have expressed an opinion on dogs, levels of ownership and the disruption that owning them can cause for those that don't. These are all real issues which all right thinking owners and prospective owners of dogs should be considering. I also clearly said 'rant over', indicating that I have no wish to further comment on this thread.

We have a 19 week old lurcher pup who is 1/2 whippet, 1/4 Patterdale terrier and 1/4 bull terrier
Lovely temperament and very friendly with other people and dogs, will happily snooze for hours and then go bonkers - there is no off switch that I have found yet

She will be whippet sized when fully grown but slightly chunkier in the bone structure
Jay

'Troll' is an extreme ( and in this case wrong) appellation. I would be grateful if you would withdraw it. I have expressed an opinion on dogs, levels of ownership and the disruption that owning them can cause for those that don't. These are all real issues which all right thinking owners and prospective owners of dogs should be considering. I also clearly said 'rant over', indicating that I have no wish to further comment on this thread.
OK, withdrawn. Sorry etc.

Dogs, like cats, are generally well tolerated by their owners.

This is not necessarily the case with the rest of us, who only hear endless barking and only see dogshit and the equally offensive bright red dogshit bins strategically placed alongside otherwise pleasant footpaths.

Also.. the typical assurance that ' He won't bite', is no real comfort in the case of all too frequent cases of unleashed dogs deciding to growl at or jump all over some innocent dogless child or walker. I was recently attacked by a dog which the owner assured me had only done so because I awas carrying a stick. I was out walking FFS! The dog and owner were very lucky that I didn't give them a real reason to dislike my stick.

The fact that there are THREE sodding great vans now parked within a few hundred yards of my house proclaiming 'Dial a Dogwash' or somesuch.. plus the fact that another local resident is offering dog grooming services from their garden shed, quite possibly in contravention of local By-Laws, is further evidence that the current Dog Mania, is in need of further regulation.

If the number of deaths from dog attack in this country was matched by deaths from attack by, say, pet spiders, snakes, etc I'd be prepared to bet that much more regulation would have resulted. And pet snakes etc., don't generally shit on public footpaths.

End of rant.

Blimey Mull

Tories, Brexit and now dogs.

You want to watch your blood pressure mate.

My brother has 2 farm labs. They both chuffing stink.

got a mate with a border terrier and that has a pungent smell... it's a clean dog itself, but smells... another friend has a spaniel (cocker I assume) and that has the softest dog fir I'm stroked/kissed and doesn't smell in the slightest... :)

got a mate with a border terrier and that has a pungent smell... it's a clean dog itself, but smells... another friend has a spaniel (cocker I assume) and that has the softest dog fir I'm stroked/kissed and doesn't smell in the slightest... :)
Yes, I know a border terrier that stinks. It must be the thick coat.

advertisement

Back