advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

Aside from the obvious tragedy in all these events, another thing that saddens me is that Staffies get tarred with the same brush. Pretty much without exception, every Staffie I've met has been a happy, friendly bundle of fun, but speaking to their owners, a lot are reluctant to let them off-lead in public parks because of the reaction of parents or sometimes, other dog owners.
It doesn’t help that they’re ugly looking feckers. (The Staffies, not the owners).

Most dogs have a 'personality'. With the exception of some breeds and cross breeds, the 'personality' may vary from gentle to vicious, and not always be predictable in all circumstances.

This renders it problematic to generalise about the causes of dog attacks, or put forth solutions.

Aside from the obvious tragedy in all these events, another thing that saddens me is that Staffies get tarred with the same brush. Pretty much without exception, every Staffie I've met has been a happy, friendly bundle of fun, but speaking to their owners, a lot are reluctant to let them off-lead in public parks because of the reaction of parents or sometimes, other dog owners.

One of my best friends had to put their Staffie down after it first killed a pet cat and then attacked and bit his 5 year old daughter, not saying 99.9% aren't fab but its the 0.1%.

It was their first dog and really still a pup but a very powerful one, almost certainly not the dogs fault and very sad.

Most dogs have a 'personality'. With the exception of some breeds and cross breeds, the 'personality' may vary from gentle to vicious, and not always be predictable in all circumstances.

This renders it problematic to generalise about the causes of dog attacks, or put forth solutions.

much the same as people then

One of my best friends had to put their Staffie down after it first killed a pet cat and then attacked and bit his 5 year old daughter, not saying 99.9% aren't fab but its the 0.1%.

It was their first dog and really still a pup but a very powerful one, almost certainly not the dogs fault and very sad.
Yes, very sad. Probably not a coincidence that it was their first dog. It's nearly always some fault of the owner, usually either a failure to set boundaries or a failure to establish who is the boss in the relationship, but it's the dog that pays the price (plus any others harmed by what led up to it).

Yes, very sad. Probably not a coincidence that it was their first dog. It's nearly always some fault of the owner, usually either a failure to set boundaries or a failure to establish who is the boss in the relationship, but it's the dog that pays the price (plus any others harmed by what led up to it).
Yes indeed. Find a problem dog and 9 times out of 10 there's a problem owner. Like any other living thing, dogs do respond to the way people behave around them. I remember once, when aged about 10, I was left in charge of the house and 2 dogs while my parents went to the pub with their visiting friends. At some point I found the visiting dog asleep on one of the upstairs beds, which wasn't allowed. I told the dog to leave and it growled at me. Undeterred, having grown up with a dog, I went and fetched its lead, told it again and rather unceremoniously dragged it off the bed and downstairs. It wasn't especially happy but complied. That was the end of the interaction. A few months later I heard it had bitten someone and had to be put down. I still believe that it had a tendency to be vicious but the fact that I'd been calm and firm around it had persuaded it that (a) I wasn't a threat and (b) noncompliance was not an option.

There was a Russian experiment researching behaviour and genetics.

At one point they managed to return some friendly typical dogs to savage wild beasts in six generations of selective breeding for worst temperament.

'Such is the nature of many dogs and many dog owners'

'It is time we moved from a system of banning a handful of certain breeds to a system of only allowing certain breeds of dogs'.

The OP's prejudices are clear. I'm out on this one, anything that calls for banning of something the person has an antipathy for isn't a thread that is likely to produce a balance of measured and considered argument. Calls for bans are, in the main, a bit of a tell.

I love dogs but still agree that "agressive" breeds should be banned.

I love dogs but still agree that "agressive" breeds should be banned.

Do you mean, Labradors (been bitten once and attacked by another, Boxers (had to slap one with a handsaw, flat side, when working in a house and left with 3 of them when working), Corgi's like a nibble.

So how would you draw lines separating breeds into which are so called 'aggressive'

Do you mean, Labradors (been bitten once and attacked by another, Boxers (had to slap one with a handsaw, flat side, when working in a house and left with 3 of them when working), Corgi's like a nibble.

So how would you draw lines separating breeds into which are so called 'aggressive'

Evidence-based decisions are usually the best course of action.

This is so very sad and, unfortunately, predictable. Where I live, not far from this incident, there are a number of dog 'breeders' making tens of thousands per year from sales of 'designer' dogs, including the breed of dogs involved in the latest incident. That is where the issue lies but they only breed the dogs because of the income it brings: stop buying the dogs and the attacks will cease very quickly.

PETA (very sensibly) calling for a ban: "People must stop denying the irrefutable fact that most serious and fatal dog attacks are by “bully” breeds, deliberately created by humans to be easily provoked into fighting without being distracted or deterred from a kill. … 'Bully' breeds have been selectively bred for over a century specifically to attack. Uncomfortable as it may be to face, the way to prevent more attacks is to stop allowing these types of dogs to be bred. It is of the utmost urgency that we take this step to protect humans and other animals from a danger of our own making." https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/call-american-bulldogs-banned-after-25177153

I would say a ban is looking inevitable. Too many fatalities of recent. But our libertarian government will probably say American bulldogs have a right to kill people.

The Liverpool Echo article confirms the poor woman was "mauled to death by multiple dogs". And we know there were five of them. Must have been an absolutely horrific scene.

PETA (very sensibly) calling for a ban: "People must stop denying the irrefutable fact that most serious and fatal dog attacks are by “bully” breeds, deliberately created by humans to be easily provoked into fighting without being distracted or deterred from a kill. … 'Bully' breeds have been selectively bred for over a century specifically to attack. Uncomfortable as it may be to face, the way to prevent more attacks is to stop allowing these types of dogs to be bred. It is of the utmost urgency that we take this step to protect humans and other animals from a danger of our own making." https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/call-american-bulldogs-banned-after-25177153

I would say a ban is looking inevitable. Too many fatalities of recent. But our libertarian government will probably say American bulldogs have a right to kill people.

The Liverpool Echo article confirms the poor woman was "mauled to death by multiple dogs". And we know there was five of them. Must have been an absolutely horrific scene.

Unless action is taken against those breeding - and HMRC could be a key tool - any such ban is pointless.
The breeder of the dogs that killed this lady has a website. One quick look at Instagram and TikTok will show that this is widespread and the market, or profit, has to be removed.

advertisement

Back