advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

Even more badly after that, each correction procedure uses power from the power supply and adds noise inevitably
That's a route to madness. If you think like that you'll be like Gene Hackman's character at the end of the film The Conversation.

The weird thing to me is that people seem apparently happy to argue that data transmission over ethernet in the home is so precarious that it needs £1000 cables and magic switches with special power supplies to function properly - yet are discussing it over a messy global network running on re-purposed 50 year old telephone wire.

If it was really that unreliable half the posts on these threads would be unreadable gibberish...

Accepted and that sounds badly)
By what mechanism does one correctly-decoded bit sound different from another when transmitted asynchronously before sitting in a buffer before being passed on to a dac (verily likely via a further asynchronous transmission and another buffer or two)?

Last edited:
Have you tried at least 2 digital sources head-to-head in the system? Did they sound the same?
That depends what you mean by "sound the same" but basically yes and yes. But have a go at answering the question: what is the mechanism?

I assume the label is to identify the correct orientation in your directional mains cable (although no longer strictly necessary once you've put the plug on.).
It’s a captive plug so this label says “You mug, you’re supposed to throw away the crappy thing we’re obliged to put in the box”.

but basically yes and yes

You have absolutely no worries therefore, why to care about mechanism?

For those who feel there’s a kind of difference, it’s simple - in the world of streaming audio each network component is effectively a part of the source. Its power supply, grounding etc. has almost the same impact as if it was inside the streamer. The fact that they’re separated into different boxes inside the house somehow makes people think it’s not important for the sq, idk why really.

Incidentally has anyone noticed that we don't seem to hear about how raw PCM or WAV are supposed to sound better than FLAC these days? Is that still a thing? It was big around the same time as the guy who swore blind that LMS sounded better on windows than linux (I think he was called Soundcheck). He had a set of tweaks for LMS which made him a bit of guru until a counter-movement developed which claimed that longer or shorter (I forget which) buffers sounded better than his setting and it all ended in a flame war.

For those who feel there’s a kind of difference, it’s simple - in the world of streaming audio each network component is effectively a part of the source. Its power supply, grounding etc. has almost the same impact as if it was inside the streamer. The fact that they’re separated into different boxes inside the house somehow makes people think it’s not important for the sq, idk why really.
Oh that mechanism. Apologies I should not be interrupting you from your lab work.

I don’t understand why others are interacting with you.
You’re far too committed to this insanity to be swayed.
Why not enjoy your view as should others that disagree & move on?
It’s all very boring.

Nothing is more certain than audiophiles creating problems where there are none, and hifi manufacturers creating expensive solutions to those non-existent problems. If you cannot measure it, that's because you should only use your ears. If you cannot hear it, your system cannot be resolving enough. If your ears and system are both good enough and you still cannot tell the difference, it must need 500 hours to burn in.

Still no answer. I came to the thread open minded. Is Wi-Fi worse than Ethernet? Thinking logically, I can’t get over the data aspect. There is no difference in the end packet however it’s transmitted and over what medium. It’s bit perfect.

That’s why I now think it’s not important.

I don't think this is quite right.

You can upgrade your ethernet cable to audiophile grade cryogenically frozen plutonium with diamond encrusted quantum connectors but wi-fi is stuck with the lame sounding consumer-grade air in your house.

Something to think about.
The air in my home is filtered thank you very much. I pass it all through my vacuum cleaner which has muliple HEPA filters.

advertisement

Back