advertisement

Does anyone have a vinyl only system?

Yes. I listen exclusively to vinyl at home. I used to have a CD player, but I let a friend borrow it around 7 years ago, and I've never wanted it back. I also have around 400 CDs that I really ought to get around to selling. Of the lot, I'd likely keep around 20 items simply for the sake of nostalgia, or because some excellent music is forever locked away in/on that infernal medium.

I’m 100% vinyl only ‘cos I reason that what little time I have for serious listening, it should be dedicated to listening to my favourite source and music and if it´s not serious I prefer the sound of silence. This means I only very rarely get to hear new music and tired of sad reissues/remasters I limit my purchases to first issues, wherever possible, of lps, most of which I already own but need renewing. Yes, I´m afraid very little post 80s music is of much interest to me. Neither do I have a radio in my car as the chances are they´ll be playing some "Reggaeton" crap or similar. To many this will probably seem sad at first read but I like to think of it as realistic.
And to think some people envy me for living in eternal sunshine.

A bit of everything for me. Mostly CD/SACD at home when I turn the system on, so much easier (& it sounds good), you can ponder around at the same time. One needs a dedicated session for Vinyl, sit & listen, comes rarely. Now & then (a little bit of Beatles there :) ) I stream through my system but I only have a mobile dac & a phone as a streamer. Streaming is primarily relegated to the Car via Android Auto & the PC through the same dac with headphones for PC.
I also have a Tuner which to be honest doesn't get much use as the car & work usually takes up this time with the medium.

Do you say that for some revolutionary arm or TT coming from yourself or is digital the final frontier for vinyl?
I'm just open-minded about how much progress can be made with vinyl reproduction. Ten years ago I thought that digital had surpassed my vinyl rig and that would be the end of it. These days I don't feel like that any more - I think I often get a result from vinyl which is highly competitive. Of course, as an old vinyl user I'm used to ignoring the pops and clicks when all else is going well. I just don't think we've heard the best of vinyl yet, and I'm glad I didn't consider selling my modest record collection back then. I would probably regret it one day.

I've never had a vinyl only system. There is always an alternate source. Current state has LP, CD, cassette and streamer (Tidal).

I've never been without a turntable either since buying my first hifi in the late 1970s.

I'm just open-minded about how much progress can be made with vinyl reproduction. Ten years ago I thought that digital had surpassed my vinyl rig and that would be the end of it. These days I don't feel like that any more - I think I often get a result from vinyl which is highly competitive. Of course, as an old vinyl user I'm used to ignoring the pops and clicks when all else is going well. I just don't think we've heard the best of vinyl yet, and I'm glad I didn't consider selling my modest record collection back then. I would probably regret it one day.
I will say that the now more widely available ultrasonic cleaners have raised the possible sound quality of my system no matter what the gear they are used with.

Daytime listening is pretty much 100% vinyl in my main setup, evenings in the open plan living room (headphone only system) using either CD or Qobuz

My byline says 100% vinyl. That’s not quite true. I listen to CDs in the car (obviously can’t listen to vinyl there), and I do have a CD player in my system but I listen to it (reluctantly) about once a year. Otherwise, I’ve been vinyl only for over 60 years.

advertisement

Back