advertisement

Do men drink cocktails?

Ok, thanks for the advice. I prefer less sweet cocktails, so might start without the syrup..but I like the idea of a mixture of sweet, sour, bitter and saltiness. A decent glug of tequila sounds very sensible...

something I've been working on for a friend who runs a cocktail bar

Saffron gin and orange negroni

25ml saffron gin,
25ml dry vermouth,
20ml orange liqueur
and a few good shakes of orange bitters

20230924_164559 by uh_simon, on Flickr

almost there. I am pondering shaking and serving with burnt orange peel

something I've been working on for a friend who runs a cocktail bar

Saffron gin and orange negroni

25ml saffron gin,
25ml dry vermouth,
20ml orange liqueur
and a few good shakes of orange bitters

20230924_164559 by uh_simon, on Flickr

almost there. I am pondering shaking and serving with burnt orange peel
That sounds really nice, probably nicer than the original Negroni which is to my taste overly dominated by the Campari. I think it would work with orange peel, burnt or otherwise, as the dominant flavours are already citrus based. However I might be tempted to go the other way - staying with the Mediterranean theme, add an olive to complement the herbal flavours coming from the Noilly, add bitterness and salt and to offset the orange zest and sweetness coming from the Cointreau. Feel free to laugh at this suggestion, alternatively, if you want.

Back in the day there was a drink in Crusts in Cambridge called a brain-neutralizer. I liked that one a lot.
Nowadays, a good Bloody-Mary suits me.

How the other half live. 😮
Ah, c'mon, there's nothing stopping you doing the same. Recipes all over the internet, you need tequila, lime, orange bitters, a fresh chilli of your choice and the rest is storecupboard. Tequila is from £20 a bottle in Asda, limes £1 a bag, orange bitters is tricky but Asda generally have it (that reminds me, I need to buy some) at around £10. You're making that at home for less than £2 a go, which is the price of a bottle of beer in the supermarket.

@SteveC I was only joking, yes I can afford to make my own cocktails at home although I don't. I do how ever have a few when abroad, and also enjoy a drop of Jamesons in my coffee when in the uk.

we do make cocktails at home, but part of what we like is the atmosphere of being in a bar.

Pricing has been interesting over the last few days - London £13-£15 a pop, Belfast £9

advertisement

Back