advertisement

Do men drink cocktails?

Margaritas are my favourite cocktail. My decline and fall started when I was about 20, and I fell in love with a girl from Santa Cruz, and she introduced me to bars which serve guacamole and corn chips with pitchers of Margaritas. Every day I would go, and best of all I would love the sensation of walking out, pissed, in the California sun, and eating a cheap milk chocolate bar. Bliss!

Pacificos is, or was, very much a second best experience, but still, very good.

That sounds like heaven!

Margaritas all the way for me. I was introduced to them in California in 1983 or so. Even went out at 1am to the liquor store to buy more Tequila so we could carry on. At 26 years old I discovered I had a high capacity for the things.

And I still love to make one at home today..

And If I go to the USA for business then the first steak type restaurant I go to, I will always order one as soon as I arrive.

gintonic said:
eh? Plenty of drinkers like sweeter cocktails, and come back for more

Only younger people in Spanish hotel resorts or drunken girls in Wetherspoon's are into sweet cocktails. All that shaking and straining into fancy glasses + crushed ice, and you still have a sickly concoction that anyone with a developed palate will grow tired off quick...

No one in their right mind will routinely drink sweet wine or sweet beer, it is all about balance.

Only younger people in Spanish hotel resorts or drunken girls in Wetherspoon's are into sweet cocktails. All that shaking and straining into fancy glasses + crushed ice, and you still have a sickly concoction that anyone with a developed palate will grow tired off quick...

No one in their right mind will routinely drink sweet wine or sweet beer, it is all about balance.

clearly you are wrong......

Oh dear. You'd better avoid Quarts de Chaume and Sauternes then, and definitely Yquem. Don't ever, ever consider either with Roquefort on a cracker or a duck pâté on melba toast.
Oh, and bières de gard are out too. Never mind, leave it for me to drink.

I rarely would drink a cocktail in a bar in the UK as they are invariably too sweet or don't seem to have anough alcohol!

There are a few 'hidden' bars here in Hangzhou that I like. Hidden as in there is absolutely no sign there is actually a bar until you press a button or lift a phone and a wall slides open leading to a flight of stairs etc.

These bars have incredible selections of Whisky that would take me years to work through. They generally have no cocktail menu but to date have produced the best mixed drinks I have tasted. I even asked for an Aviation one evening to be greeted with 'traditional' or 'extra flora' sir? It was one of the best cocktails I have tasted.

Oh dear. You'd better avoid Quarts de Chaume and Sauternes then, and definitely Yquem. Don't ever, ever consider either with Roquefort on a cracker or a duck pâté on melba toast.
Oh, and bières de gard are out too. Never mind, leave it for me to drink.
I agree, many years ago we stayed in a converted watermill hotel called Le Moulin du Roc around Brantome in the Dordogne and sat on their terrace in 35c heat opting for fois gras. After the third time of declining wine they simply brought me a glass of Monbazillac on the house insisting the two need to go together. An absolute treat that then made us visit one or two chateaus locally and take a case home. On another occasion I took a chance on a 22 year old bottle of Ch Le Coutet barsac and sipped it all Christmas Day. Both absolute bliss examples of sweet wines.

There's a time and place for everything, my grandfather ended up with Grand Met and tasted wine for a living.

His most memorable tasting was Chat d'Yquem; i still love a good dessert wine.

a very nice Espresso Martini for Louise, last night. Surprisingly, for a pub, the mixo took great care in making it...

apologies for the shonky angle - dunno what I was doing

20230805_210431 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Living in Coventry in the 1980s we had.... Ray Rastall.. He had no dress policy and so long as you were polite you were welcome. A gorgeous Art Deco themed bar in the middle of 1960s brutalism, How he ended up in Coventry via Vegas I'll never know, he was mates with all the Rat Pack. I fondly remember a bunch of us tripping our lids off on mushrooms sipping "Guava Creams" watching the sunset through the panoramic window that overlooked the Coventry precinct
ray-rastall-the-undisputed-king-of-cocktails-at-rays-bar-the-hotel-ER695C.jpg

I swing with the drink-whatever-the-heck-you-like crowd. Some of mine are;
Whisky sour
Vodka gimlet
Margarita
Mai Tai
Sol-y-sombre
B52, way too nice, go down fast and get you drunk pdq.

my goto ones ATM

Negroni
Ultra dry Martini
Boulvardier
bloody Mary
Gimlet
Gibson
Whisky sour
Corpse Reviver (all of em)
Clover Club
White Lady
French 75