advertisement

Do both lengths of speaker cable really have to be the same length?

Eddie Teflon

pfm Member
Looking to upgrade from my cheap Cable Talk 3.1. Looking at various options, but the thing is, one speaker is only about a metre from my amp, the other, about 3m as the crow flies (may go under the floor boards) or 4-4.5 if routed around the skirting board.

Is it really necessary to have them both the same length? If so, what to do with the excess cable?

And another question.. Are there any decent plugs for DIY termination?

Thanks again....

I don't think so unless you are relying on the characteristics of the cable to stabilise your amp a la Naim. Even then they don't have to be precisely the same, just both within the acceptable range (whatever it is, something like 3m as a minimum, 8 or 10 max, isn't it?

I don't think so unless you are relying on the characteristics of the cable to stabilise your amp a la Naim. Even then they don't have to be precisely the same, just both within the acceptable range (whatever it is, something like 3m as a minimum, 8 or 10 max, isn't it?

What is the reasoning for this. I would've thought the shorter the better?

I used to be obsessional about this kind of thing when I was young but when you think how much componentery is in the chain and how part specs shift over time then it's probably meaningless in context.

What is the reasoning for this. I would've thought the shorter the better?

Not for naim cable. The older amps were designed without a Zobel circuit on the output for stabilisation purposes; instead, the speaker cable performs this task but has to have a minimum amount of inductance as well as low capacitance to achieve it.

The minimum for NACA5 cable is 3 metres...optimum is around 7 metres.

And +1 on TheDec's comment..within reason it matters little if they are of differing lenghts.

No audible difference - the effect of moving your head a few thousandths of a mm during listening will have more effect than a 3m cable difference.

All my cables have to be the same length and i can't tread on the cracks in the pavement.

Honestly it's one of those things that I'm sure makes no difference but I can't bring myself to cut one shorter than the other. Whilst I've never actually sold any speaker cables, I'm sure you'd struggle to sell unequal lengths to the vast majority of pfmers unless it was bell wire.

I am running two different speaker cables at the moment whilst I wait for my other matching one to arrive... Both different lengths. Can't tell a difference.

No it really doesn't matter.... nor will "upgrading" your cable make one jot of difference.

Will upgrading from Cable Talks 3.1 really not make "one jot of difference"?

Unfortunately my local shop doesn't offer a home trial of speaker cable, so I'll need to buy and sell on if no good. I know I'll make a loss, but travelling to get a demo will also cost.......

Will upgrading from Cable Talks 3.1 really not make "one jot of difference"?

Unfortunately my local shop doesn't offer a home trial of speaker cable, so I'll need to buy and sell on if no good. I know I'll make a loss, but travelling to get a demo will also cost.......

One bunch will tell you it won't, another bunch will tell you it will, a third group will say let your ears decide and they will repeat that for 30 pages.
I reckon if there is so much division within a group who all have broadly similar aims it probably is a waste of money.

Normally an amplifier will have high damping factor at its output terminals, but will be much worst at the end of the speaker cable due to the cables resistance. This resistance will effect the speakers sound quality - its better to have both channels sounding the same...

John

I think it goes like this.

IF one can tell the difference between speaker cables, then there is probably either an intrinsic "filtering" effect of the cable itself, OR, the resistance/capacitance/foo, has an effect on the amplifier so changing its output characteristics.

Therefore, IF one can hear a difference between speaker cables, then one would expect that the length of the cable will affect either the resistance/capacitance/foo or the length of the "filter". So, one would expect different lengths to affect the sound. Whether this is noticeable when there is a 10% difference between lengths I have no idea.

My experience.
In yesterday's system configuration I needed 8 metre lengths of speaker cable, which is a lot (£).
I tried, 2.5mm sq mains cable.
It sounded CRAP! Unlistenable. Unbearable.

My 6 metres of Avondale Blacklink sounds much better (OK - it's not 8 metres) and the "run" would have led to divorce.

My 6 metres of NVA LS2 sounds different again (better defined bass - but a bit "thin") and the "run" would still have led to divorce.

My conclusion.

With my amps (Avondale 135's phase 3), my speakers Epos ES25's, speaker cable makes a difference.

Logically then I should aim to have approximately the same lengths of cable.

But I can't afford an 8 metre pair of "good" cable

So being a pragmatist (and not wishing to become divorced) I've moved my amps and speakers to get the shortest run I can (2.5metres - amps equally distant from each speaker) and will now sell my longer cables and buy some short lengths of "better" cable.

Maybe.

Ian

advertisement

Back