advertisement

Do amplifiers really sound the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used 3 different active xovers in my system, they all had published figures way better than those posted here as a benchmark.
They were a Tannoy x5000, a JBL 5234 and a BSS FDS360, all pro pedigree all auditioned at 800 hz @12db/oct Butterworth each sounded very different, the BSS was cleanest-most transparent. None of them matched my XTA 226 (which is a 24bit/48khz digital job) however.
I can only conclude I'm imagining it.:)
How did they measure?

How did they measure?

I'm sure the data is available if you care to search but the ones I have to hand;

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/5234a.pdf

http://www.audiocore.co.uk/products-dp226.html

http://www.bssaudio.com/discont_productpg.php?product_id=5

Tannoy

7525895588_c647968241_z.jpg

I believe there are/were measurable differences. My point is the threshold(these all have very good numbers) and an opinion that it is how these parameters combine that can account for the differences we hear.

Yes, interesting, 26% couldn't tell a difference, does that mean 74% could?
Does it also point to system synergy in that the little bargain one was preferred over all?
Dunno, but I suppose it means that such differences as might have been audible must've been very small. Furthermore, that such difference as there might have been were found to favour the cheap electronics.

An alternative reading of the results was that there wasn't any difference and the participants either admitted as much or else chose their preferred system randomly.

I rather suspect that there was bugger all difference.

Hi, It shows that 26% were deaf to the differences, probably about the same percentage of people on this thread:)

I just know I've been swapping quality amps lately and settled on one. I now have a completely different cd collection to listen to:)

Actually, 37% did not pick a preference, and just as many picked the Sony/Behringer combo. It is possible that these 'listeners' are not as golden-eared as some PFMers.

Actually, 37% did not pick a preference, and just as many picked the Sony/Behringer combo. It is possible that these 'listeners' are not as golden-eared as some PFMers.
Whichever way you look at it, on the basis of those results, buying expensive audiophile equipment looks like a very bad idea.

Whichever way you look at it, on the basis of those results, buying expensive audiophile equipment looks like a very bad idea.
Yes, for 74% of the test group. 26% seem to get some benefit. Sounds generous if extrapolated to the general population.

Hi, It shows that 26% were deaf to the differences, probably about the same percentage of people on this thread:)

I just know I've been swapping quality amps lately and settled on one. I now have a completely different cd collection to listen to:)

sorry James, yes 37%:)

Yes, for 74% of the test group. 26% seem to get some benefit. Sounds generous if extrapolated to the general population.
If you assume that they really could hear a difference, and didn't just think they could. (Which would give a 50:50 split between systems A and B, given a large enough sample.)

They are the babies of the MC2 range. Driving big 97 dB/W JBL's they have bass grip and effortless ease, an unburstable quality, never ever under strain, never clipped..how loud would you like to go cleanly?:D:D:D

That seems to be typical of prosumer amps. Whilst we are willy waving I use a pair of Meridian 559s each bridged and I'm sure you've seen it before the output is >1600wpc into 4 Ohms.

I'll add to your comments - highly dynamic and real timbre with acoustic instruments. A piano actually sounds like a piano (I have one in the next room for comparison.

Cheers,

DV

That seems to be typical of prosumer amps. Whilst we are willy waving I use a pair of Meridian 559s each bridged and I'm sure you've seen it before the output is >1600wpc into 4 Ohms.

I'll add to your comments - highly dynamic and real timbre with acoustic instruments. A piano actually sounds like a piano (I have one in the next room for comparison.

Cheers,

DV
That's crazy, although I suppose it's nice to know your amplifiers will drive your speakers to mechanical overload without clipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back