advertisement

DNM Amps anyone used them or heard them ?

I believe all the manufacturing was moved to CH, a long time ago, with the turntable and cables manufacturing always there.

Definitely marmite products with a distinctive signature and idiosyncrasies. I use a 3 series pre amp and Reson turntable in a system running into a Gradient XO amp feeding ESL57's and their standalone subs.

Most people that hear this are impressed enough.

Someone has to 'make' them but they're DNM designs. And the descriptions of them are peppered with total bollocks...

Joe Joe as the OP on this thread 2 years later I still haven't heard them and perhaps never will.My post was more intrigue as the design is quite radical in some respects like the use of din sockets,low output power,star earthing and made in incredible small numbers etc.But TBH I am not electronic minded talking about amp design.
I know the interconnect @ speaker cable is very marmite.Some people love them others think their awful,maybe its a amp speaker synergy.
Don't use mine so much as have gone over to Atlas cables which I really like and have got a Rega Aethos which will be my last amp as it just sounds fabulous and can drive my Magneplan 1.7 speakers effortlessly.
Great with Naim amps and anyone else’s speakers, Naims speakers where well average until you blew thousands on amps and went active which is where Nytech and Logic where a decade before them.

I had a DNM 2A pre amp with later power supply from Dennis M, I traded up to the non metal (perspex ?) 3 series through DNM, but didn't prefer the upgrade, it was much more resolving but was a little on the lean and analytical side. I went over to Dennis's house and we experimented as he still had my traded in version in the workshop. I swapped back and I actually think he could understand why, the older one was just bolder, richer and for me more real. I used it with a maggies and a Robertson 4010 power amp at the time

I also used it with naim before

I had a DNM 2A pre amp with later power supply from Dennis M...... I used it with a maggies and a Robertson 4010 power amp
..... What a classic period system. I would love to have heard that. What did you have for sources?

..... What a classic period system. I would love to have heard that. What did you have for sources?

A Sondek, Syrinx PU2 and a Koetsu Black. It was one of my most remembered set ups, the voices and tonal richness was sublime, I went to buy a Krell KSA 50 and listen to the Robertson, wanted the Krell, loved to look and had already made my mind up... Until I heard the Robertson, what a great amp. It was so dynamic and weighty, amazing.

I listened side after side of the Rolling Stones, Black and Blue. Suzanne Vega and Dylan were never more than a few feet away

A Sondek, Syrinx PU2 and a Koetsu Black. It was one of my most remembered set ups, the voices and tonal richness was sublime, I went to buy a Krell KSA 50 and listen to the Robertson, wanted the Krell, loved to look and had already made my mind up... Until I heard the Robertson, what a great amp. It was so dynamic and weighty, amazing.

I listened side after side of the Rolling Stones, Black and Blue. Suzanne Vega and Dylan were never more than a few feet away
What a classic system! Fantastic.

Back in the late ‘eighties a mate had DNM amps with SBLs. Couldn’t say what models but it was a three box setup. I *think* it had two stereo power amps, one per ‘speaker, with the treble channel in each having a capacitor in series and the crossovers bypassed. He mainly listened to classical music, and the system (up to spec at the time LP12 with Ittok and Troika as front end) sounded superb - truly immersive - although it seemed strangely uninteresting on the likes of Led Zeppelin. Couldn’t quite put my finger on the reason…

Hi,
I am a very happy DNM user. I have the following kit.
DNM 3C twin pre amp
DNM 3PS power amp
DNM biwire speaker cable and all interconnects are also DNM.
I personally know Denis the inventor of all this gear who has spent many years perfecting the design. Most people don’t get the concept and it doesn’t suit everybody’s listening style. I personally think the speakers are the key to extracting the best from DNM kit. If high efficiency speakers like Klipsch heritage series are used then the results are simply amazing. I love talking about DNM so ask me anything and I’ll try to answer.

I remember back in the early 1980s having a demonstration on the DNM pre-power combination against an Audio Research SP8/D70. Back in those days the DNM combination was reputed to be the best sounding solid state available. This was just before Krell and Mark Levinson came on to the scene. The DNM was very detailed but lacked the warmth and tonal richness and naturalness of sound of the ARC combo. Since then I have had a few DNMs through the workshop for repairs, nothing major, so they appear to be somewhat reliable. Like has been said above, you could add additional power supplies for improved performance. I seem to remember the power amp was about 30 Watts per channel.

I remember back in the early 1980s having a demonstration on the DNM pre-power combination against an Audio Research SP8/D70. Back in those days the DNM combination was reputed to be the best sounding solid state available. This was just before Krell and Mark Levinson came on to the scene. The DNM was very detailed but lacked the warmth and tonal richness and naturalness of sound of the ARC combo. Since then I have had a few DNMs through the workshop for repairs, nothing major, so they appear to be somewhat reliable. Like has been said above, you could add additional power supplies for improved performance. I seem to remember the power amp was about 30 Watts per channel.

I found the later perspx case DNM quite lean, I'd say the earlier metal case 2A's were similar tonally to something like the naim 32.5. I agree something like the ARC is definitely warmer and harmonically richer

Reactions: GT

advertisement

Back