advertisement

DNM Amps anyone used them or heard them ?

IIRC, the DNM boxes were made from acrylic and glued together. Sounds a bit Heath Robinson until you realise that these boxes have the same effect as no box at all.
What about shielding? Yes, I've read the "metal bad" stuff on the DNM website.

You're bang on the money there!
Better looking but another brand I've never heard.
I use Albarry, the AP11 pre, and M1108 monoblocs. I still think it is among the best amplification I’ve heard. Consistently bettered only by Accuphase and Spectral, and I’m not sure about Spectral.

I use Albarry, the AP11 pre, and M1108 monoblocs. I still think it is among the best amplification I’ve heard. Consistently bettered only by Accuphase and Spectral, and I’m not sure about Spectral.

Albarry M1108 is good but I've heard it bettered by many things. Had a pair I'd repaired alongside my MF A370 (ish..) power amp for a couple of weeks once many years ago and although the Albarry was good at the same things the MF was good at the MF easily bettered it and in every way. Shocked to see the final retail price for the Albarry amps! £6K ish!

Never had an Accuphase in but was unimpressed with Spectral.

A lot of speculation from folks who never lived with the amps tbh. I can’t comment on much of the design theory but can say that it was all rather excellent sounding. The PA3^S was a stunning power amp (if fragile) and sounded considerably more powerful than the 200w monoblocks it replaced (albeit into fairly sensitive speakers). The reason I quit the DNM ideology was a mix of worries about reliability/longevity and the enormous delays (and eventual pricing) of the 3D Six preamp. I never did hear that preamp in the end - by then I’d defected to Naim for a bit - but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were among the very best sounding preamps at *any* price...

Albarry M1108 is good but I've heard it bettered by many things. Had a pair I'd repaired alongside my MF A370 (ish..) power amp for a couple of weeks once many years ago and although the Albarry was good at the same things the MF was good at the MF easily bettered it and in every way. Shocked to see the final retail price for the Albarry amps! £6K ish!

Never had an Accuphase in but was unimpressed with Spectral.
When you say ‘many years ago’, how long ago are you talking? The M1108s only came out about 8-10 years ago. The original amps from the ‘80s were the M408s, and the more recent M608 and M1108 were from the ‘Albarry reborn’ period and were in a different league, IMHO.

When you say ‘many years ago’, how long ago are you talking? The M1108s only came out about 8-10 years ago. The original amps from the ‘80s were the M408s, and the more recent M608 and M1108 were from the ‘Albarry reborn’ period and were in a different league, IMHO.

Ah well in that case I'm getting it mixed up with an earlier model then... I'm talking around 1997 here. I would guess that they were several years old when I had them in. It was the biggest then available and IIRC 100W so no doubt M1008. Very good they were but the A370 was obviously better still and in every regard... "faster", more transparent, better "slam", better soundstaging.. the lot. The Albarry's were no slouch though!

Ah well in that case I'm getting it mixed up with an earlier model then... I'm talking around 1997 here. I would guess that they were several years old when I had them in. It was the biggest then available and IIRC 100W so no doubt M1008. Very good they were but the A370 was obviously better still and in every regard... "faster", more transparent, better "slam", better soundstaging.. the lot. The Albarry's were no slouch though!
Was the A370 from MF’s ‘not spontaneously catching fire’ era? ;)

I’ve not heard much MF stuff, so have no frame of reference, though I’ve generally liked what I’ve heard, but yes, the new generation Albarry stuff was in a different league. The old stuff, IMHO, outdid the contemporary Naim equivalent in pretty much all respects, but the new stuff took on much tougher competition and usually won, IME.

advertisement

Back