advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

Keep the PSU impedance as low as humanly possible, better the correct traffo than chucking a 40r 5w resistor in there.

Yes I agree and those traffos have a faint buzz anyway so Ill source something better, I have 2 nice Rcores but they are 24-0-24v as well.
Actually I have 47R in there now and loaded I get 29V out.
Left them on cooking :rolleyes: all week and they are starting to sing now ;)
lovely wide sound stage and separation of instruments is excellent, also great timber and voice sound, the battery phono stage is well balanced but sounds small scale by comparison now. The voltages are not drifting anymore either and the temperature inside the case is cooler now?
Getting there slowly :)

Alan:)

Yes I agree and those traffos have a faint buzz anyway so Ill source something better, I have 2 nice Rcores but they are 24-0-24v as well.
Actually I have 47R in there now and loaded I get 29V out.
Left them on cooking :rolleyes: all week and they are starting to sing now ;)
lovely wide sound stage and separation of instruments is excellent, also great timber and voice sound, the battery phono stage is well balanced but sounds small scale by comparison now. The voltages are not drifting anymore either and the temperature inside the case is cooler now?
Getting there slowly :)

Alan:)

Hi Alan

Good work

My build took a good few weeks to really get going and the sound that you are describing now matches what I have more closely.

Having the correct trafo’s should help the heat issue still further so worth the effort IMHO.

Getting there.:D

OPA 627 arrived today and inserted within nano seconds :D, this allowed me to trim both boards down to 4mv from pin 6 so another great result.

Alan

OPA 627 arrived today and inserted within nano seconds :D, this allowed me to trim both boards down to 4mv from pin 6 so another great result.

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes seems like just about everyone that swaps in the 627 is more than happy with the result. 4mv is pretty respectable and with the Calvin it can go even lower.

But a good time to just enjoy the sound of all that hard work.:)

Thanks for the tip Alan. Yes I did, but the language button only changes the framework language, not the actual forum content as far as I can see. Bloody clever if it could though.

Thanks for the tip Alan. Yes I did, but the language button only changes the framework language, not the actual forum content as far as I can see. Bloody clever if it could though.
Yeah I know sorry just kidding :D

Here is part of that thread translated with google

Because transformer transformers I 've now received feedback from 2 Companies ( exchanger and Bremer transformers)
of CHK unfortunately I have 2 emails will not get any feedback , maybe it would still who are trying to make contact .
CHK transformers FTR 18:24 - http://www.chk-wickeltechnik.de/Flachtra ... n_Frameset.html

inquired I = Transformer with footprint as block - fit exactly onto the board - with 18VA
Feedback as follows :

Bremer (Unit price)
1 pc = 45 €
20 pcs = 9 Euro
50 Pcs = 8,37 € - In case of an order of 50 units and get 1 piece of pre- transformer as a release pattern.
Additional info , producers are to: a really noiseless transformer there from the known physical reasons nicht.Alles between "quasi inaudible " and " buzz " is thus a subjective perception unterworfen.Ich not hear our Transformers series FT and FL .

Exchanger ( unit price )
1 pc = 193 €
10 pcs = 28,56 Euro
20 pcs = 15,60 Euro
50 pcs = 10,45 € - In case of an order of 50 units and get 1 piece of pre- transformer as a release pattern.
Additional info , producers are at : The transformer is calculated hum-free , ie he would not " buzz " . Your noise problem would be eliminated with it.

as previously , there is still interest ?

As every power supply needs 4 transformers, I would have thought getting enough interest for 20 pcs was quite easy and 50+ pcs not out of reach.

Does anyone know if the transformer buzz is inherent or are they buzzing due to reacting to other transformers in close proximity?

Could be that they are being used at the top end of their VA rating so flat out?, some transformers don't like that and buzz & get hot as well
Also could be they are rated for 220 -230V primarys and you have 240-250V mains like I have and some transformers don't like that either.
The 2 EI transformers I have used have a faint buzz as well so I am changing them
Alan

I've built two of the pre-reg based psu, one I purchased all the parts for separately, the other was built from group buy parts. The group buy one hums like buggery at least as loud as my US power amp, so much so i had to damp above and below the traffos with soft neoprene blocks to make it reasonable. The other ones that I purchased separately are barely audible at all. They will then they are poor versions.have a faint buzz, if you can hear them from only a couple of feet away they are good, if you can hear them from 15 feet away

Could be that they are being used at the top end of their VA rating so flat out?, some transformers don't like that and buzz & get hot as well
Also could be they are rated for 220 -230V primarys and you have 240-250V mains like I have and some transformers don't like that either.
The 2 EI transformers I have used have a faint buzz as well so I am changing them
Alan

Hi Alan,
i am the man who was betrayed by Block.
The parts were picked properly in terms of rating.
Despite the fact Block is a well known german
manufacturer and i used some of them stuff in the
past without any issue.
Those Trafos are just crap !
Sadly, there is no hum-rating in the spec-sheets,
not even mentioned,
so there is no legal chance to get the money back. :(
If you have any questions in terms of translation....

Cheers
peter

advertisement

Back