advertisement

DIY Shielded main cable (Uk plug/IEC)

Rack Kit

pfm Member
Trying to find longer lengths of shielded mains cable other than the standard 1.5m hasn’t gone so well so far. I need around 4-5m so looking at going DIY but can’t seem to find any shielded cable out there.

if anyone has any links, let me know.

Cheers,
Rack.

Last edited:
You need to search for Control Cable. I use Belden CY 2.5mm2 3 core shielded. The Belden part number is CYSE03.0050.
I buy mine from RS Components and their stock number for it is 363-395 for a 50m reel. Hopefully that is enough to go on to get some cut to length from a supplier, possibly on eBay.

If you don't want to make your own, then Mark Grant Cables can do what you require, and at reasonable prices IMHO...

Local Medlocks , CEF or Edmondson electrical wholesaler would likley have screened CY cable in stock that you can by by the meter.

Ive used 1mm SY cable before now with the braided screen connected to the earth pin at the plug end, a slight improvement in grip over standard mains cables. I’ll ask my wholesaler about the Belkin cable - hopefully there’ll be a job I can book it to...........

I recommend Supra LoRad because it’s dead easy to work with. It doesn’t need any attention to the shielding, just strip and connect the 3x wires.

Why mess about with shielding a metre of mains cable when there's miles upon miles of unshielded wiring between the socket and the power plant? I can see the merit of using shielded wiring in a some industrial setting with high levels of EM noise, but there the whole building would be using it. In a normal home, the EM noise levels are not high enough to require such measures.

Of course, a shielded power lead won't do any damage either, so experiment away. Just be careful to get the wiring right. A faulty power cable can be lethal.

advertisement

Back