advertisement

DIY bolt question

If you are bothered about movement you can use joist hangers. These will allow the joists to slide back and forth just as they can on a wall plate.

I've not seen these, do they work without plugs then, straight into the masonry?

Yes and they work brilliantly (I was sceptical at first). You need to use a 6mm drill in brick/block and a 6.5mm in concrete. That is the critical part of the process. The box says 6mm in concrete, but you need a 6.5 otherwise the thread locks up not fully tight. A structural engineer put me onto them and they are excellent.

No, thats a different beast entirely.
They work, to a degree, but the amount of holes you will be drilling, it becomes hard work.
Hiring an SDS will be the option IMO.
I have one, but use it a lot.
Many brands out there no need to go bonkers money for what you are doing, or, as I said, hire one for a few days.
The bits bayonet into the drill for easy changing.
This is what I have for light duty (as what you will be doing)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-hr2630-3-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-240v/8602j
That is what I bought

I've not seen these, do they work without plugs then, straight into the masonry?
Became a necessity with fire regs now.
No pipework (gas / water / electric) can now be fitted with plastic plugs that can fail under high heat circumstances.
As Tiggers says, they really are excellent, and can save a ton of time.
Only available in hardened steel (obviously) so permanent damp conditions would become a maintenance issue (old houses with no DPC etc)+

advertisement

Back