advertisement

DIY Armageddon.

Possibly the outputs are balanced around mains earth. Easy to check by measuring resistance to earth pin of the other two pins.

Well if the output winding is not centre tapped, and that connected to earth, the voltages will float and be variable, though summing to 120V. Capacitive coupling to the primary and other metal bits probably set the output voltages.

I've got a Czech variable autotransformer. Its built like a brick (several actually) and fully reliable.

Sounds like all you need is to build the phase split pcb and mount it somewhere. I'd be tempted to mount it in your LP12 and just run an IEC straight to it. No need to shield the wire, there's no benefit.

Nice find.

Are isolation transformers a benefit anywhere else in the audio chain? I've got an Armageddon so don't really need another!

Correct me if I'm wrong (please do), but an isolation transformer combined with an AC phase shift is the ultimate form of mains noise isolation with little or no tonal coloration or loss of 'attack'. I'm really curious about putting one of these on my iMac source, as I've read elsewhere that the Mac PSU will chuck out less noise when recieving 110V rather than 240. A subject for another thread perhaps?

Also... I assume that this piece of kit has been designed to stop mains noise getting into the likes of heart rate monitors / ventilators / surgical equipment but there appears to be noting to stop the equipmnet that's connected to it from interfering with each other - am I missing something here?

there appears to be noting to stop the equipmnet that's connected to it from interfering with each other

That is correct for this unit - all 6 outlets are wired together. I only plan to pull one output to the LP12 motor with one of these IEC-320-C13 PCs.

The whole isolation / mains grunge thing is definitely another thread. FWIW, I've been happiest with dedicated mains lines.

Sounds like all you need is to build the phase split pcb and mount it somewhere. I'd be tempted to mount it in your LP12 and just run an IEC straight to it. No need to shield the wire, there's no benefit.

Nice find.

SQ,

How come there's no benefit to shielding the IEC (or adding a ferrite)?

Have you tried and couldn't hear any difference?

Thanks for all your help :)

Dan

What is the logic in using the Lingo with an isolation transformer - I doubt it will make any difference.

I fixed my Lingo by doing a full 'lytic re-cap. So, having this isolation transformer laying around and no 60Hz pulley in from Linn yet, I tried the experiment of plugging the Lingo into the isolation transformer.

Holy s#1t!! This was one of those instantaneous jaw-dropping audio moments. With the isolation transformer inline, there was articulation, presence, dynamics, poise, chest thumping bass. Even piano sounded almost realistic. Then back to just the Lingo, and everything muddied over and the life got sucked out. Amazing.

The Lingo I was noted for putting garbage back on the mains, so the rest of your gear might have benefitted rather than the Lingo directly.

I suspect it's more than that as wow and flutter seem very much improved. I'll have to figure out how to digitize some test records with and without the isolation transformer and submit them to the speed analysis thread.

I'll have to figure out how to digitize some test records with and without the isolation transformer and submit them to the speed analysis thread.

That would certainly be interesting.

dan the reason there's no benefit to shielding the IEC is because there's no noise on the mains after the transformer that has any audible effect. it would have to be at a huge level for 'shielding' to have any effect.

Adding a choke is a different matter, adding a ferrite will do nothing. You really need an oscilloscope to be looking at the mains to see if any difference exists, there's no point just listening, as you have no idea what, if anything, you are actually hearing.

Thanks SQ, I thought that the shielding was normally there to stop RF getting back into the wire from the rest of your kit??

My 'el cheepo' medical isolation transformer arrived on Friday :)
pros:
1) Total cost was $130 via eBay
2) It's very well built and solid
3) It's also got a 10Amp Schaffner type filter on the inlet, which you can't see in the pics.
Cons:
1) Feet are missing (no biggie)
2) It chucks out 127 or 250V?

Can I run my LP12 on 127V, or will I need to add a resistor??

advertisement

Back