Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Distract me from Covid pain

Discussion in 'audio' started by Del monaco, Oct 24, 2020.

1. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I must admit, I have a bit of an obsession about cleaning my records! Once you latch on to the advantages of no static, stylus not getting clogged up, no noise etc., it's hard to resist. I've cleaned all of my LP's and 12"singles and I'm working my way through the thousand odd 7" singles that I have. I think that an RCM can be considered an upgrade to your record player. I re-sleeve all of my records too.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, sonically I liken it to a pretty substantial cartridge upgrade, pretty much a doubling of cartridge price in many cases.

Since grasping just how obsessive the real top end of the collector market is via Popsike etc I have now moved fully to using Nagaoka inners inside the original sleeve, be they printed or standard plain paper. Back in the 70s-90s I just replaced plain paper sleeves with poly-lined inners which was arguably a mistake as for maximum resale collectors want every single aspect 100% present and correct. I wish I’d at least kept them. These days as a dealer I always keep good condition vintage inner sleeves etc from any condition rejects (I always expect to bin a percentage of any collection that comes in as they grade below what I could advertise here) as they are always useful. I’m slowly restoring my own collection!

3. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Sorry to hear about the test result, well if the worst it gets is being an inconvenience..... Fingers crossed

A record cleaning machine is possibly the best upgrade I ever made bang for buck, I remember being utterly amazed at the difference it made. I've cleaned vinyl for a few friends over the years and they all went out and invested in one afterwards. Mine is a DIY jobbie, a bit of waste pipe, a vacuum motor and a 12rpm motor

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I like these suggestions. Is the Project worth getting. I have seen comments about the quality of build.

5. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I miust admit, I've not gone that far! I tend to use mo-fi sleeves to replace the paper ones and use the Nagaoka sleeves where the inner sleeve is printed or is in some way special.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Del monaco likes this.
  7. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes hyperfi look a good outfit , i saw a marantz 8005 there but it went out of stock . i use a 965bx as a transport into my jolida dac at the moment . if ever the bills stop rolling in i might try and find something better maybe

AnilS and Del monaco like this.
  9. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I think it's excellent VFM, maybe not quite as sturdy as my previous Moth RCM but does a good job, the build quality appears to be simple but sufficient.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

A left-field cheap suggestion from a retired teacher. Radio. Get a NAD 402 or similar or even an older one for peanuts on Ebay and enjoy a wealth of musical genres with good (but variable) s.q. You will need to be in a good reception area (for inside antenna) or have an external/loft aerial.

Another recommendation for an RCM if you have a fairly large collection (>500 records?); not just because of the advantages but because it'll occupy your time in a beneficial way. Bought sensibly, it wouldn't depreciate much either. Make your own fluid up too, cheaply.

The Sony ES range of CDPs is noted as being both affordable and sounding good (I've heard one in my system). Another that I've had, which is also musically even-handed, is the Meridian (G08, e.g.)

Del monaco likes this.
  11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Must try the Rotel into the Sabre Dac of my Yammy.

hifinutt likes this.
  12. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

The Yammy has FM and DAB radio built in and I use it with an external. Very good performance actually but I miss my vintage CT 1010 so not so left field really. My wife has just received a bonus from work and has added another £100 to my budget, so c. £400 now.

13. Robert M

Robert M pfm Member

I'd sell the Yamaha R N803D and get a rega io.

14. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Love Rega. Used to own Rega kit. Unlikely to improve on my Yammy and won’t power the Maggies I’m afraid. Need at least 100 watts.

15. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

So now £400 budget.

16. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I could get a Marantz 6007 for that. Or a second hand Rega Apollo R? Possibilities emerging now.

17. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Agree entirely, and Del I wish you a speedy recovery.

The smaller Project model referenced up-thread is a good choice. Performs just like the larger units but in a smaller chassis so easier to stash away. Within budget and nicely made.

18. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

Get better soon.

If new to record cleaning, I suggest starting with a knotsi disco antistat. About £50

here >
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BFXIVW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Easy to sell on when you grow out of it. Hours of fun, and a great place to start.

(start and maybe stay with? I have used one for years. )

Del monaco likes this.
  19. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I have the Knosti. Bought it years ago. Looking to upgrade.

Big Tabs likes this.
  20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

This is now "excellent 2nd hand phono stage" money, especially if you sell the one you have.

Big Tabs likes this.