Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Distract me from Covid pain

Discussion in 'audio' started by Del monaco, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Hope you start to feel better soon Del. How about an Audiolab 6000 CDT transport feeding the superb DAC in the 803?

hifinutt and Del monaco like this.
  2. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Nice suggestion. What would you recommend?

3. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I looked at the 6000. Will it better the CA CXC? Tried my Rotel into the Dac. The Rotel lost some immediacy but gained some smoothness.

4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

5. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Del monaco likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Ah, a receiver. That's one option down then. Back to CDP; too much choice but there are big differences (I have a valved CDP)

7. OldSkool

OldSkool Active Member

I have a 6000CDT and it's superb into my Chord DAC64, a real hifi bargain IMO. I note there's one for sale in the classifieds at the moment. I've read that it's sonically superior to the CA CXC and certainly of more solid build quality.

Del monaco likes this.
  8. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Can’t see the one in the classifieds.

9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I just wish you well for a speedy recovery.

Del monaco likes this.
  10. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Del monaco and OldSkool like this.
  11. fegs

fegs pfm Member

How about a valve phono amp?

12. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

RCM is a good idea but I wouldn’t recommend it as a cheer up device when ill. I have one, it is useful but I only really use it on the odd 2nd hand purchase. Never bother with new releases unless they seem noisy.

I would look at a CD transport.

Del monaco likes this.
  14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Cart and phono stage. Obvs you really need an Arkless GTi when you get an MC cart! Get well soon:)

Del monaco likes this.
  15. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Del monaco likes this.
  16. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

If you can find some more loose change down the back of a sofa, I'd keep an eye open for a Resolution Audio Opus 21. Easy to service/repair, including the transport, which is actually a DVD drive. Buy a spare and tuck it away in a drawer just in case.

I still can't think of any CD player under three grand I'd rather have. You also get an extremely capable DAC (S/PDIF only) as part of the deal. I've seen these as low as £650, which is frankly mental for the sound quality on offer.

Del monaco likes this.
  17. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

well to throw in my tuppence I sold my Rega Apollo in favour of the Rotel 955 (albeit a tweaked version via S-Man on here).
    I found it to give a wider soundstage and more defined bass not deeper or heavier but more controlled if that make any sense.
    only drawback is rather ruthless of the recording

18. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I had the Apollo. Nice machine in many ways but found it’s soundstage lacked depth. The 965BX is way better in this respect. I’m just trialling it as transport into my Yammy Sabre Dac and it sounds good.Will listen a bit more later when family is engaged in other activities.

19. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

hi

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

I just recently bought the pro-ject VC-e and it’s better and easier than the nitty gritty I had years ago, comes with everything you need to get started except distilled water and some bottles to spray or drop the liquid on. Not too noisy and seems well enough built.

I bought mine from Juno records, if you ask the on the chat or by email they‘ll send you a code to get it discounted to £299.

cheers

Chris

Del monaco likes this.
  20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I’ve looked at the transports. They seem much of a muchness and I’m unsure what they’d give me beyond what is already have. Don’t like the look of the Audiolab either. I don’t think I can better the Dac without spending much more on an external one so decision made really. So my potentials are narrowed down to a sub or RCM. The phono stage I have is good and I’d have to pay much more to better it IMO. I also love the sound of the cart. Or I can just get on with transferring my Classical CD collection into the folders I bought a few weeks ago.