advertisement

Digital Control?

Linnovice

pfm Member
Hi all. I’ve just purchased a Mac mini with a view to ripping all my CD’s, DVD’s, etc and keeping them in one easily accessed place. I also would like to stream my Qobuz account and the bbc iPlayer/Sounds site. I have a DAC already so I’m just looking for a tried and tested method of controlling it all. I know iTunes would do most of it but would it be the best method? I’m not sure I want to involve the ‘Cloud’ in my system.
Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome (of the musical and positive kind ).

BTW, I do also have a Bluesound Node 2 which I use currently for streaming but I believe having it all on the Apple would make it simpler. Am I right?

You are setting yourself up here for a potential tidal wave of anti-Apple semtiment! There are plenty of people who like Apple devices too, so I suggest you decide for yourself. The first thing I would do is get a trial of Audirvana software which is intended to optimise a Mac as an audio source.
As you use Qobuz, you could also consider Roon. It’s a bit expensive, but again there is a free trial.

I would suggest that you try volumio. I have 3 Mac Minis and volumio works well and is free. You just 'burn' a volumio image to a USB stick and boot from that.

Here is a taster https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/More_first_steps.html

When you boot volumio it sets itself up as a WiFi hotspot and you just access it via any web browser. Its dead simple especially for someone who is a computer novice.

The stuff from Apple is nothing more than a PC sexy yes but you pay the price. I run Windows and Linux on my Macs. Its simple to partition the internal drive or even use external drives.

BTW the best Mac Mini is a late 2012 either i5 or i7.

Cheers,

DV

I have a near identical set up.

I use iTunes to rip CDs and organise any downloads into Artist/Album sequence.

For replay, until recently I used Audirvana but have now switched to Roon. Both have remote apps for an iOS device, and both give you access to Qobuz.

all my music is on an iMac, ripped AIFF.
I use Logitech Media server on the Mac, serving to a RPi/digione with PiCorePlayer. All controlled via iPeng on an iPad.
Works fine and very high fidelity indeed.

I have been using Mac computers as music transports/servers for some 6 years.

My current workflow consists of:
1. ripping a CD with XLD or downlading a recording onto the internal hard disk of the computer
2. importing the files into an iTunes library located in an external USB hard drive which I use as backup — I use iTunes to add/change tags and cover image
3. transferring the newly ripped or downladed recording into the Network Attached Storage disc where I stream my music from.

It's very important to keep at least one backup disk, preferably two with stored one off-site.

I use iTunes for browsing and then I drag-drop the tracks or albums onto the HQ Player window which is my preferred music file player/processor.
To reduce the amount of computer-generated rubbish going into the DAC I have a minicomputer (Cubox) serving as endpoint/buffer between my MacBook Pro and the DAC. The two are connected using Ethernet which is galvanically-isolated.
I use HQ Player to upconvert my mostly Redbook music library into DSD128 which is the highest admissible sample-rate and tone-down a couple of room-modes below 100Hz.

If you have a large CD collection that you intend to rip then I recommend that you buy an external CD/DVD drive. Ripping is a very demanding process and I've seen the internal DVD drive of two of my computers break down...

Thank you all for your responses.
Having learnt today that Apple is discontinuing iTunes has put the final nail in their coffin with me. I suppose they will launch an alternative platform to listen to the music that we’ve already purchased.
Some of the options that have been proposed seem a tad complicated to me. I’d better explain that I do not listen to digital music as a general rule. Most of my music is either on vinyl or tape (reel to reel). But I do have quite an extensive collection in iTunes as well as a couple of hundred CD’s. I’m trying to make life easy for myself by putting the digital recordings all in one place, hence the Mac mini. It has a 1Tb hard drive which is plenty large enough to store my files. I also want to access the bbc iPlayer radio site as well as my account with Qobuz. Plus I’d like to put some movies on there as well. Am I expecting too much?
I have a Teac H001 DAC at present so intend connecting the Mac mini via usb to the DAC for music purposes and to the tv via the hdmi on the Mac.
So, I’m thinking at present that with the Mac running OS10 Mojave I can instal separate Apps to run the various music requirements I have. The HDD will store everything with an external HD for backup. Is that the best/most convenient route?

Seems that Apple will be launching seperate apps for different content. So a new Music app could well be easier to use than Itunes and presumably less bloated (Itunes has been getting a little middle-aged recently). I wonder if this links with the suggestion from elsewhere that Apple devices could be supporting FLAC files soon - maybe hi-res natively too? Could be a good opportunity for Apple here.

Seems that Apple will be launching seperate apps for different content. So a new Music app could well be easier to use than Itunes and presumably less bloated (Itunes has been getting a little middle-aged recently). I wonder if this links with the suggestion from elsewhere that Apple devices could be supporting FLAC files soon - maybe hi-res natively too? Could be a good opportunity for Apple here.

Indeed. There are going to be 3 programs...

Music to rip and replay existing music
Podcasts to listen to, well, podcasts
Movies to watch films and TV

I’d be amazed if the music program didn’t replicate how music is handled in iTunes.

You are setting yourself up here for a potential tidal wave of anti-Apple semtiment! There are plenty of people who like Apple devices too, so I suggest you decide for yourself. The first thing I would do is get a trial of Audirvana software which is intended to optimise a Mac as an audio source.
As you use Qobuz, you could also consider Roon. It’s a bit expensive, but again there is a free trial.
Hi, thanks for the info. Am I right in assuming that I should rip my cd’s with iTunes as well as downloading my purchases from the iTunes Store and allow iTunes to categorise and store them? Then access/play them using Audirvana? I’ve just had a quick look at the Audirvana site and it looks ideal, a bit pricey though at 70$. Mike

Hi, thanks for the info. Am I right in assuming that I should rip my cd’s with iTunes as well as downloading my purchases from the iTunes Store and allow iTunes to categorise and store them? Then access/play them using Audirvana? I’ve just had a quick look at the Audirvana site and it looks ideal, a bit pricey though at 70$. Mike

That’s what I do. I make sure error correction is set to on when ripping CDs.

You then just need to point Audirvana at the iTunes music folder.

Given that iTunes is being phased out by Apple, I guess this might not be the best time to start using it! Only time will tell how much of it’s functionality, including ripping and metadata editing, will be retained in the Music app. So despite my earlier comment, you may be better off looking at dBpoweramp or other third party apps for ripping and editing.

I’ve spent most of today setting up the Mac mini using my tv as a monitor and VNC connect as the wireless control on my iPad. Moved it into my listening room without a monitor but using the VNC app. Works ok but it seems very “clunky” and I don’t think it will last the course. I take your point re iTunes and I’m of the same mind but for the time being it’ll do for setting the system up. I’ve downloaded and installed the drivers for my Teac DAC and that seems to be working with the mini ok.
First problem I’ve come across is that if I try and play a song from iTunes the first 10 seconds are fine then it starts to break up into a garbled mess. Same happens if I use the bbc Sounds website.
I need to get a small monitor attached in the immediate future as using the iPad is really a non starter until the whole is working properly. I’ll worry about a ripping software at a later stage and the Audiirvana.

I’ve spent most of today setting up the Mac mini using my tv as a monitor and VNC connect as the wireless control on my iPad. Moved it into my listening room without a monitor but using the VNC app. Works ok but it seems very “clunky” and I don’t think it will last the course. I take your point re iTunes and I’m of the same mind but for the time being it’ll do for setting the system up. I’ve downloaded and installed the drivers for my Teac DAC and that seems to be working with the mini ok.
First problem I’ve come across is that if I try and play a song from iTunes the first 10 seconds are fine then it starts to break up into a garbled mess. Same happens if I use the bbc Sounds website.
I need to get a small monitor attached in the immediate future as using the iPad is really a non starter until the whole is working properly. I’ll worry about a ripping software at a later stage and the Audiirvana.

Until you get Audirvana you can try BitPerfect which runs behind iTunes but has a lot more options: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bitperfect/id455545700?mt=12

Thanks Tuga, I will have a look at that.

Another question. Would the recommended connection to the router be Wireless or Ethernet? Personally I prefer a cabled connection but that may not be the best choice?

Given that iTunes is being phased out by Apple, I guess this might not be the best time to start using it! Only time will tell how much of it’s functionality, including ripping and metadata editing, will be retained in the Music app. So despite my earlier comment, you may be better off looking at dBpoweramp or other third party apps for ripping and editing.

My understanding is that for PC's (not MACs) the Itunes software will remain. Only on Apple devices will the apps split into seperate video, audio and podcast versions - and presumably a games version coming too.

Another question. Would the recommended connection to the router be Wireless or Ethernet? Personally I prefer a cabled connection but that may not be the best choice?

Cables (Ethernet) would be be the best and most reliable choice.

You spent most of the day setting up the Mini? I've set up volumio several times and it takes around 10 mins to download the image then 'burn' it to a USB thumb drive followed by booting the Mini from it. Once up you use any web browser to access volumio (the iPad is fine) to both configure and use it. Remember the default sets up the Mini as a WiFi hotspot so the distance between iPad and music player is small i.e. good connection.

For more than 7 years now I have used Amarra as my music player that is controlled via VNC on an iPad (initially an iPod Touch) over WiFi. Works fine. Unfortunately I can't use volumio with my DAC (I'd like to) as it doesn't support Firewire. Perhaps one day I'll try and hack it.

Cheers,

DV

Ethernet essential IMO

advertisement

Back