advertisement

Digital Control?

You spent most of the day setting up the Mini? I've set up volumio several times and it takes around 10 mins to download the image then 'burn' it to a USB thumb drive followed by booting the Mini from it. Once up you use any web browser to access volumio (the iPad is fine) to both configure and use it. Remember the default sets up the Mini as a WiFi hotspot so the distance between iPad and music player is small i.e. good connection.

For more than 7 years now I have used Amarra as my music player that is controlled via VNC on an iPad (initially an iPod Touch) over WiFi. Works fine. Unfortunately I can't use volumio with my DAC (I'd like to) as it doesn't support Firewire. Perhaps one day I'll try and hack it.

Cheers,

DV
Yes, it took the best part of a day around walking dogs, cooking dinner, etc. As I said, I ordered the Mac mini on Sunday, it arrived Tuesday and as anyone who has bought a Mac (or any computer come to that) the time you’ve connected it set everything up and started downloading the updates it’s surprising where the time goes.
I’m now waiting for a vga to hdmi adaptor then off we go again tomorrow :)

My understanding is that for PC's (not MACs) the Itunes software will remain. Only on Apple devices will the apps split into seperate video, audio and podcast versions - and presumably a games version coming too.
You’re probably right, I haven’t examined the details to be honest. The OP is using a Mac, though, so in time, may decide that it’s time to move on. I assume Apple are more interested in selling Music subscriptions that downloads, and for decent sound quality, I certainly wouldn’t be looking at the iTunes store.

You’re probably right, I haven’t examined the details to be honest. The OP is using a Mac, though, so in time, may decide that it’s time to move on. I assume Apple are more interested in selling Music subscriptions that downloads, and for decent sound quality, I certainly wouldn’t be looking at the iTunes store.

The first beta of the new Mac OS is due to be available for developers. The reviews should start to appear soon.

I now have the Mac mini all set up now and running well. Just imported my first CD into iTunes using the Apple Lossless Encoder. Would this be the best setting and/or best program to Rip with?

I now have the Mac mini all set up now and running well. Just imported my first CD into iTunes using the Apple Lossless Encoder. Would this be the best setting and/or best program to Rip with?

It’s what I used. Just make sure error correction is turned on.

As long as you choose a lossless format it’ll be fine. You can convert to WAV, FLAC or whatever later if you want, and you can point other music playback apps at the iTunes rips if you find someone you prefer. No harm in doing the free trials of Roon, Audirvana etc. just to see if you prefer them, or you may just be happy with what you’ve got now.

Well, we’re up and running now with iTunes ripping, Audirvana playing both files and streaming Qobuz and the BBCiPlayer handling the radio side of things. I’m quite impressed with the sound but my next step will be to download some high res files and register the differences.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions, it’s been much appreciated.

(The ripping lark going to be a slog though!)

Well, we’re up and running now with iTunes ripping, Audirvana playing both files and streaming Qobuz and the BBCiPlayer handling the radio side of things. I’m quite impressed with the sound but my next step will be to download some high res files and register the differences.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions, it’s been much appreciated.

(The ripping lark going to be a slog though!)

Ripping is indeed a slog, but once it’s done you can reap the benefit of having everything available - just don’t forget to take a backup. I fed CDs into the Mac while I was doing something else, so my time wasn’t dominated by such a boring process.

I’ve noticed that a couple of my cd’s do not appear to have the album artwork available. Is that usual?

Yes, when that happens I download it from Amazon.

What I do is Right click on the album in iTunes and then select album information - I can’t remember the exact name. Once that’s been done there’s a tab for album art and I select that. I then go to Amazon in Safari, find the album and click on the album art there to get it to appear in its own window. You can then drag and drop the Amazon image into the open iTunes window.

I’m guessing you could also use Discogs, but I’ve always used Amazon.

Thanks Stunsworth, great advice. All cd’s ripped and artworks downloaded. I’ve also upgraded the OS to Mojave.

Now comes the testing of the playback system. At the moment I’m using Audirvana which is working well on the trial software. Was tempted to try BitPerfect but the reviews in the App Store were quite daming so will give that a miss. Perhaps Volumio should be my next attempt.

Sorry about this never used a MAC and never likely to so no comment on how to make that work . However if you just want a simple solution then transfer all your files to a suitably sized USB HD unit (2TB units are quite cheap and will leave loads of room for new rips) . Plug that in to the Bluesound Node 2 make sure it is attached to your nework and you can acces it with any network device including you MAC .
This has a couple of advantages , one it takes all your music away from the MAC which will often be used for other things which can (emphasis on can) intrude on the best sound quality . Secondly the Bluesound has from all accounts a very good Android/Apple contol APP which means you can control all of its features remotely .

advertisement

Back