advertisement

Diana Krall - WOW

Paul-g

I am familiar with the track you refer to and have heard Costello describe the background to it. I don't care what your personal political alliances may be, but the facts are that Thatcher (doesn't deserve a first name) was an evil, vicious woman bent on imposing her (since discredited) economic dogma on a once civilised nation with a strong sense of community.

Many of the failings in our current society (what remains of it anyway) can be traced directly to the policies of the Thatcher government. She was poison personified and I for one can't wait to join Elvis on her grave.

Returning to the topic of the thread, Diane Krall typifies all that is bad in modern "jazz" - lazy, referential, middle-of-the-road, middle class whitey american ear candy.

Elvis Costello on the other hand - although he has his failings and can be a pretentious prick at times - is one of the finest english singer-songwriters of the modern era. With the Attractions he has recorded some fine records, and vitriol comes from passion and anger and I count the fact that your response to "Tramp the dirt down" is so strong as a testament to the power of his talent.

Having seen the man numerous times live, he is a great performer with a back catalogue to envy.

Mark (the moderate)

The sentiment of "Tramp the Dirt Down" is, of course, eminently reasonable (what sane person won't rejoice in the death of that old witch?). The rest of the Spike album isn't up to much IMO.

I used to really like Costello, then I suddenly went off him some time in the late 80s. The smugness got unbearable. Having said that, Blood and Chocolate is a fantastic record, especially "I Want You", which is one of the most self-lacerating, nastiest love songs ever written. Genius. And I still like King of America too.

Diana Krall, on the other hand, can both play piano and sing a bit, but I rather wish she wouldn't bother, as she has absolutely nothing of interest to offer the world.

-- Ian

but a vituperative attack such as this is one of the best arguments for censorship I have ever seen.

Don't be so bloody prissy!

It's a song that neatly expresses the views of many people who lived through that time, why the hell should it be censored?

Just because you don't happen to agree with it's sentiment, or didn't suffer because of the policies extolled at the time doesn't mean that those who did shouldn't be allowed a voice to express their views.

As with everything in this life we find offensive, we have the choice to listen / look, or not.

I thought Spike was a rather good album, that just hasn't aged particularly well.

vitriol comes from passion and anger and I count the fact that your response to "Tramp the dirt down" is so strong as a testament to the power of his talent.

Exactly, easy listening is, well....easy! It has its place, but why listen to songs about things you happen to agree with, why not be challenged from time to time?

Andy.

Hi Ian

Totally agree on both Blood and Chocolate and King of America. Have you tried "When I was Cruel" - it is easily the pick of the latter day Costello.

Mark

PS I could use some John Zorn recommendations...

It served it's purpose: -

"It'll piss some people off, and that's great. If it ruins anyone's day then I'll be a happy man". E.C.

Tramp The Dirt Down

I saw a newspaper picture from the political
campaign
A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously
in pain
She spills with compassion, as that young child's
face in her hands she grips
Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
coming down on that child's lips

Well I hope I don't die too soon
I pray the Lord my soul to save
Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
long enough to savour
That's when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When England was the whore of the world
Margeret [sic] was her madam
And the future looked as bright and as clear as
the black tarmacadam
Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't
haunted by every tiny detail
'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
all she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends
the same in the long run
Try telling that to the desperate father who just
squeezed the life from his only son
And how it's only voices in your head and
dreams you never dreamt
Try telling him the subtle difference between
justice and contempt
Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful
discontent
When they flaunt it in your face as you line up
for punishment
And then expect you to say "Thank you"
straighten up, look proud and pleased
Because you've only got the symptoms, you
haven't got the whole disease
Just like a schoolboy, whose head's like a tin-can
filled up with dreams then poured down
the drain
Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being
blown to bits or beaten and maimed
Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the Lord
your soul to keep
I think I'll be going before we fold our arms
and start to weep
I never thought for a moment that human life
could be so cheap
'Cos when they finally put you in the ground
They'll stand there laughing and tramp the
dirt down

For the background, take a peek here

Many of the failings in our current society (what remains of it anyway) can be traced directly to the policies of the Thatcher government.
Perhaps you don't recall what the country was like before she came to power - 3 day week, garbage in the streets, the miners dictating to the government....
The only failing that I can see that can be traced back to her is that the present incumbent at number 10 has modelled himself after her, but is f*cking things up. (At least the wars she fought were legitimate!)

Originally posted by MarkW
PS I could use some John Zorn recommendations...

Phew. Where to start, such a diverse catalogue. I'm still trying to get hold of everything.

For his Masada quartet, Live in Middelheim 1999 is absolutely stunning, as is the new Masada live album (volume 7 of the 50th Birthday Series). An amazing group. For Naked City, the first album (also called Naked City). For his more reflective, chamber music, side, The Circle Maker and/or Bar Kokhba and/or Masada String Trio live (volume 1 of the 50th Birthday Series). For extreme noise terror, any of the Painkiller albums. For film music, The Big Gundown: Music of Ennio Morricone. For his more challenging alto sax mouthpiece experiments, The Classic Guide To Strategy.

Check out http://www.tzadik.com/ for other interesting stuff, including lots of great music he releases by other people.

-- Ian

Originally posted by sideshowbob
Diana Krall, on the other hand, can both play piano and sing a bit, but I rather wish she wouldn't bother, as she has absolutely nothing of interest to offer the world.
Sums her up I think. She's not stupid, she has some talent, but has nothing of any interest whatsoever to say.
Look for albums by Nina Simone, Dinah Washington and (especially) Esther Phillips to hear how "smokey" should be done.

Originally posted by joel
Look for albums by Nina Simone, Dinah Washington and (especially) Esther Phillips to hear how "smokey" should be done.

Esther's "From a whisper to a scream" is a particular favourite of mine, and I have a bunch of records by Nina Simone, but I never really got on with Dinah Washington. Her sex is too restrained for me.

not wishing to fuel the fire but isn't this EC song a rip off (tribute to!)of Dylans masters of war?

haven't heard the EC one - does the tune match too, dylan song is one of my favs.

Darren

I really can't see what the fuss is about with DK. Don't see how anyone could be interested. She's not original enough, doesn't have a good enough voice to be worth listening to. Doesn't look good enough to be worth watching.
There are plenty of others of this ilk who outshine Ms K.
Even Clare Teal and Jane Monheit would kick her ass in a fight.

Paul G - if you don't fancy Tramp The Dirt Down much then cop a listen for Morrissey's "Margaret On The Guillotine"! The mere fact that 2 major lyricists of the 80's felt inspired to write songs of such a bitter nature says more about Thatcher than it does about them.

....and yes you can add Masters Of War to that as a great trio of protest songs - anger is an energy!

Rich

Just in case any of the youngsters don't remember Maggie and to scare the rest of you.........

"Margaret Thatcher was the United Kingdom’s first woman prime minister. She came to office in May 1979 and remained until her resignation in November 1990, making her the longest continually serving prime minister in 150 years.

Mrs Thatcher is both admired and despised by many in her country: to some her radical economic policies reversed decades of decline and reinstated Britain as a major economic power on the world stage; to others her harsh economic policies caused social friction and divided the nation."

picb.jpg

"She has the eyes of Caligula, and the lips of Marilyn Monroe"
French President Mitterand

"Pierre, you're being obnoxious. Stop acting like a naughty schoolboy"
On Pierre Trudeau, 1981

"James Callaghan: May I congratulate you on being the only man in your team

Margaret Thatcher: Thatcher's one more than you've got in yours"

http://www.margaretthatcher.net/

I went to watch Diana Krall last night and had a jolly good time.

Clearly listening to the assorted diatribe in this thread I must be deaf.

It may not be Miles Davis but neither is it Busted.

There is just a small chance you could come across as a little sanctimonious.

Neil

Sleb Factoid: I saw James Busted outside the EAT in Soho Square last week.

Matthew

Originally posted by space cadet
Busted and McFly over Ms Krall any day!!
Hey Spacecadet - pity you're back in Derby - Diana Krall is played in Oslo this coming weekend and I got me two tickets. If by any chance anyone else wants one, try looking on www.billettservice.no

advertisement

Back