advertisement

Diana Krall - WOW

paul_g

Logical member
Recently bought "The Girl In The Other Room" on eBay.

Bloody hell this is good !!!!

Ashamed to say that I've never got into jazz, despite several trips to New Orleans - but maybe I do like it after all .......

I certainly don't like Elvis Sodding Costello - how the hell did she get involved with a piece of s**t like him ?

Buy it folks

Speaking of not getting into jazz, if anyone wants to dip their toe they could do worse than snag a copy of Infracom Presents Re:Jazz.

The gimmick is that it's acoustic jazz instrumental and vocal versions of the label's ambient and electronica releases, but to be honest you can't tell. Just stripped down, meaty, driving music with loads of unpretentious groove.

Thunderous production too.

Originally posted by paul_g
Recently bought "The Girl In The Other Room" on eBay

I certainly don't like Elvis Sodding Costello - how the hell did she get involved with a piece of s**t like him ?

I certainly don't like Diana Krall - how the hell did he (Costello:)) get involved with a piece of s**t like she

Tomek :D

They do make a handsome couple.......

040618_COSTELLO.jpg

I certainly don't like either of them. Let's hope they're too busy planning a family to ever make another record.

Diana Krall is not jazz. More like spazz.

I think both of them have made some bloody awful records in the past, and may well do so again. Having said that, I also think that both of them have produced excellent stuff too, and generalisations are often dangerous.

Elvis Costello is one of the greatest living songwriters and for someone so hugely prolific he's not turned out that much that should be consigned to the bin, which is pretty good going in my view.

All IMVHO, of course ;)

Andy.

Elvis Costello is one of the greatest living songwriters and for someone so hugely prolific he's not turned out that much that should be consigned to the bin, which is pretty good going in my view.
I think he's boring.
Not crap, not radical, not irritating, just dull, lifeless and boring.
"Oliver's Army" was uninteresting apart from that I was in my teens at the time it came out, "Watching the Detective" (?) was dire, I think he had a C&W phase, and the rest was insignificant.
He also went through a phase where he was supposed to be the new John Lennon (ha!).
(Everything IMHO, of course! :) .)

IMHO Barber is better than Krall, but this is still a kind of technical, "effect" Jazz.
Some pieces of Barber are very good for testing audio gear, but generally Miles (O Miles !) and Coltrane did the phantastic work and unfortunately they are not so many really good newcomers.

I like the last recording of Stanko, Garbarek became boaring and for me it is easier to find a good old recordings from the sixties (sometimes amazing quality - probaly used some Studer and Neumann) than a listenable modern jazz recordings...
:(

Cheers, Tomek

Originally posted by tomek
IMHO Barber is better than Krall, but this is still a kind of technical, "effect" Jazz.
Some pieces of Barber are very good for testing audio gear, but generally Miles (O Miles !) and Coltrane did the phantastic work and unfortunately they are not so many really good newcomers.

Absolutely agree. Barber isn't my default choice for "jazz" by any stretch. She's just my default choice for "contemporary piano/vocal diva".

Originally posted by prowla
I think he's boring.
Not crap, not radical, not irritating, just dull, lifeless and boring.

Whilst I agree with most of the above, if I am honest, my antipathy towards him arises from the track "Tramp the dirt down" from the album "Spike".

This is without doubt the most offensive track I have ever heard. For those not familiar with this, it quite specifically attacks Margaret Thatcher & includes the lyrics :-

"Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live long enough to savour, that's when they finally put you in the ground, I'll stand on your grave & tramp the dirt down" .

Political statements have always been a part of music (Dylan is of course one of the most articulate exponents & I have admired him for many years), but a vituperative attack such as this is one of the best arguments for censorship I have ever seen.

Political preferences are irrelevant here - this is simply disgusting.

I have no further comment to make on this topic.

Paul

Originally posted by paul_g

This is without doubt the most offensive track I have ever heard. For those not familiar with this, it quite specifically attacks Margaret Thatcher & includes the lyrics :-

"Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live long enough to savour, that's when they finally put you in the ground, I'll stand on your grave & tramp the dirt down" .

I have not heard this track, but Mr. Costello has just gone up one notch in my estimation.

advertisement

Back