advertisement

Detectorists?

I know haha, if the series teaches anything it’s that. 99% nothing and then maybe? But I’m odd and find old rusty bolts interesting.
We visited the Galloway Viking hoard recently. Such beautiful things not 15 miles from here.
I think it would be fun and not expensive to do?

A detectorist acquaintance helped find someone's lost 19th century Chinese opium pipe. The pipe owner was a professional & was hugely embarrassed. He said "it's been a bad day for archaeology".

Last edited:
Sad fact, most of these guys are reduced to scanning beaches after the day trippers have gone home, there's a word for them in the animal kingdom, 'bottom feeders'.

Interesting post....bottom feeders?
As posted, I'd not be interested in any financial gain, so will do my best to avoid the people you describe so bitterly. Thanks for the advice.

A detectorist acquaintance helped find someone's lost 19th century Chinese opium pipe. The pipe owner was a professional & was hugely embarrassed. He said "it's been a bad day for archaeology".

That bit in italics? I'm confused. A professional? Why is that embarrassing or relevant, and how is someone helping him find something a bad day for archaeology? Sorry if I'm being thick this am, but??

That bit in italics? I'm confused. A professional? Why is that embarrassing or relevant, and how is someone helping him find something a bad day for archaeology? Sorry if I'm being thick this am, but??
The "professional" is an experienced archaeologist who prides himself on finding objects - like 19th century Chinese opium pipes - without things like detectors.

We have one in the back room. We got it for the kids really.Always forget it when we go to interesting places. I remember driving through Edwinstowe once and saw a whole load of detectorists rummaging through a newly ploughed field. Intrigued.

We have one in the back room. We got it for the kids really.Always forget it when we go to interesting places. I remember driving through Edwinstowe once and saw a whole load of detectorists rummaging through a newly ploughed field. Intrigued.

Detectorists form groups, and these groups have standards of operating that they present to landowners. If the landowner agrees to the group detectoring on his land, the whole group will go. Lone detectorists can have a difficult time.

Detectorists form groups, and these groups have standards of operating that they present to landowners. If the landowner agrees to the group detectoring on his land, the whole group will go. Lone detectorists can have a difficult time.
The guy that sold us the MD encouraged us to join a club. We did get permission to detect around the Pilgrims Church at Babworth. Was fun.

Page 2 shows mo OP and page 1 the most recent posts

Page 1: a thread exactly a full page (20 posts) long, started exactly a year ago today, 28 August 2021.
Page 2: your thread after being joined up with the Page 1 thread.

tenor.gif

yw

My friend owns and operates an airfield. It’s a number of very large Forres with three landing strips. He rents an acre to a friend for dog walking. I was there yesterday and a guy and his lad turned up to detect. They found an old Roman coin. Not a particular rare one but young lad was delighted.

advertisement

Back