advertisement

Desktop system for homeworking?

I salute all of you who can listen to music and use the computer at the same time.

I find that either the music is so good that I stop doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing on the computer, or so bad that I'm trying to ignore it.

I sell the LSX (and LS50 Wireless) so I am somewhat biased, but I do think they work very well as a desktop system. Obviously, you do not have the same flexibility to swap out speakers, amplifier and DAC components, but they look very smart sitting on top of the matching Desk Pad stands. They are a true active design and they have some very sophisticated DSP onboard, which you are unlikely to find in a sub £1,000 separates system.

I salute all of you who can listen to music and use the computer at the same time.

I find that either the music is so good that I stop doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing on the computer, or so bad that I'm trying to ignore it.

I am finding that exact problem right now listening to Abraxas by Santana on my newly fettled meridians via the new Arkless transcapacitance phono stage.

I’d get these: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/kef-ls50w-mk1-stands.262633/

I also have the LS50w mk1 for my home office and they’ve been great for the price. The setup is not that flexible if you like upgrading bits and pieces but works fine as a whole, has native support for spotify (and others like roon) and is hard to beat for under 1000£

I was tempted to try passive LS50s, but they're a bit too big. A passive version of the LSX would be awesome.

Funnily enough, I found my Meridian M30s a bit too fruity used on a desktop, subesequently tried some of the usual small 2 way suspects, including LS3/5as, and ended up going back to my modest Myryad A170's on the stands I've mentioned upthread, which now sound fabulous.

Pic of mine, sub used as monitor stand. Works well.

51814647356_f99bfbda31_b.jpg

Reactions: ask
Like @zippy I am unable to work and listen to music at the same time, computer-based or not.
I have a pair of Yamaha active monitors, HS5's on my desk and they spend most of their time switched off when I am not using them with my Line 6 Helix guitar processor which isn't often either.

I'm the opposite. If I don't have music playing in the office, I'm fidgety and unproductive. The trick is finding the right music to match my mental state and task at hand.

Given I spend more time in my home office than anywhere else, my main system is actually in my office.

My main system is in my studio (I’m a painter) and tend to listen to jazz while I’m working as that seems to help me think and work. And if I’m not working I can sit back and it sounds great! Listening to decent music keeps me in the studio and makes me more productive. It stops me from wandering around the house; looking in the fridge, switching on Netflix etc. and doing anything but work lol.

advertisement

Back