advertisement

Desktop system for homeworking?

tonyx

pfm Member
For obvious reasons I am now homeworking. I have set up the computer in a spare bedroom and installed my Audioengine A5+. This is best described as adequate, pleasant enough but I think I could do better.
At present I listen mainly on Spotify.
So with nothing better to do I have been casting around for an upgrade. I have discovered the Kef LSX which has rave reviews, and for a just under grand is surely the most that I ought to be paying for this. But then I thought, would it be better to go with separates, a DAC and amp (something like Topping I guess) and a small pair of speakers (such as Wharfedale diamonds?) I would still be under a grand and would have more flexibility, but how would it sound? It would not look better than the Kefs of course, but because they have a lot of tech built in then that may become obsolete I think think they may not be the best long term buy.

How would you spend that grand? Or do I need to save up a lot more money? Anyone got the LSX? Any thoughts?

I’ve just made up a relatively modest system using a mint pair of JPW Mini Monitors, a Pi and Justboom Amp hat with integrated dac. It sounds lovely and I have access to music through a hard drive add on and various streaming services. It sounds so much better than expected. I have my eye on a JPW sub to add depth. All in all £70 and to be honest it sounds much more expensive and I think it would challenge a few budget separates rigs. Really, it’s that good and very non fatiguing. The software even allows for Airplay and Bluetooth if needed.

Big pro amp and a pair of Cerwin Vegas. But not the ones with two 15” bass drivers - that would just be silly.

And a bigger desk...

AVI actives or genelec would be great near field
I agree with the Genelec suggestion, the little 8010s are excellent and properly tiny. Ideal for near field desktop use.

Personally I have an Arcam ir DAC, Linn Majik i and Q Acoustics 3010s, fed by an iMac running Qobuz, that sounds great.

I have the Audio Engine A2+ speakers - OK but for interest tried adding a spare, small sub (REL T-Zero). In fact it replaced the stack of books the monitor was sat now. Odd set up for sure but it sounds fab.

Some interesting ideas there. I am attracted to the Genelecs and could get them used fairly easily which saves a lot. Their range is confusing though so some research needed. The JPW mini Monitors with the Justboom Amp Hat very interesting but would need a pi and then would not be using the PC as a source I guess. Cerwin Vega could be good too I guess, but sadly you are right about the 15" bass drivers! As for AVI, their website is a menace.

Any other ideas?

The AVI website is not active, they are sadly now out of business but their speakers do sound wonderful on a desk. I have a pair of AVI DM5’s which are active and fed by a Sonos port.

whole system less than £1000 and I think it would be difficult to find something as elegant, the 5’s go in to standby when not used and the whole system controlled by a computer, iPhone etc.

So no switches to turn on, just listen.

Some interesting ideas there. I am attracted to the Genelecs and could get them used fairly easily which saves a lot. Their range is confusing though so some research needed. The JPW mini Monitors with the Justboom Amp Hat very interesting but would need a pi and then would not be using the PC as a source I guess. Cerwin Vega could be good too I guess, but sadly you are right about the 15" bass drivers! As for AVI, their website is a menace.

Any other ideas?
The Pi doesn't need to be connected to your PC to access music.

A Raspberry Pi with a DAC Hat (e.g.Allo Boss DAC) into a Temple Audio Bantom Gold class D amp will set you back around £300, so plenty left for some decent speakers, cables etc. I think £1000 is a decent budget to put together a nice sounding system.

I have a Marantz integrated amp powering some Quad S1s, with a HiFiMeDIY USB DAC. Sounds fantastic and the Quads are really well-suited to nearfield listening. They're a bit bass-light but Equalizer APO has sorted that.

Don't underestimate how good a BY speaker and a £30 Amazon Fire can sound. Seriously. For casual listening (you're at work, right? At least nominally) I find them good enough. It's my hotel bedroom system when I am actually allowed to travel for work.

Genelec 8020s here. They seem very tolerant: just moved the desk right into a corner and they still sound good. Don't seem fussy about pre-amps either.

If it's only for use in this context, then a USB DAC (Dragonfly, Meridian and Cambridge Audio spring to mind) and some good S/H active monitors would be a compact and sensible solution - also most USB DACs double as superb portable headphone amps if you get the right dongles to go with them.

I'm currently using a Dragonfly USB DAC and a pair of Meridian M30 active monitors. <£300 S/H and sounds bloody excellent since I realised that the M30's shouldn't have any toe in for nearfield use.

I'm using iLoud micromonitors, they're cunning little things disguised as computer speakers. I believe they do a larger version now too. I drive mine from a cheap Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface, which also has a Creek headphone amp since the built-in pair leave a lot to be desired. I have the Focusrite in the tape loop of my Nait 3 in normal times.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/?pkey=iloud-micro-monitor

My temporary setup in the corner...

Last edited:
This is my desktop setup (I usually work from home):

fxZn1hf.jpg

SBT -> CA DacmagicXS (not needed because the SBT has an internal dac, bit of an experiment but works well, think I prefer it) -> JBL LSR305 monitors (designed for nearfield listening) + JBL LSR310S sub (which certainly adds to it...but costs twice what the speakers cost!).

I'm more than happy with it and would be well below your £1K budget.

And can be used as a weapon if the neighbour's kids get a little loud in the garden..

cross post from another thread - this works for me.
IMG_1724_600px.jpg

Work from home, they said ... well, OK!

Macbook pro, Mojo, McCormack Micro Integrated Drive (erm, fettled) ; and, the other day, a pink bass + roland microcube (today, instead my Yamaha acoustic) and incidental practice to break-up the day with a complete change of thought context / as or when workflow allows or requires. And tea, obvs.

We use Meridian M3 actives on some small stands so the tweeters are just above ear level, because we have a desk for two the speakers are far too far apart for excellent imaging, but oddly enough, not as bad as you would think. Source is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch via a shunt passive preamp - it sounds brilliant. Very distracting!

I have finally solved this problem. I now have a Topping DX7 pro, and a pair of Genelec 8020D's. this all seems very good to me. The headphone out on the DX7 is also great. Source is my PC (a Surface Pro) all separate to the work PC. A bit more than I intended to spend at the start but seems worthwhile.

advertisement

Back