advertisement

Derrick May

kensalriser

pfm Member
A lot of disturbing stories surfacing about Derrick May's alleged serial sexual abuse and rape.

I knew him years ago and became quite pally with him after interviewing him when I was a music journo. As an opinionated, energetic motormouth he made good copy. But one time when he was in London I visited him at the flat he was staying in and for reasons I can't remember, I had my girlfriend and one of her friends with me. This was maybe 1990 or so. He was pretty inappropriate, making comments that made all three of us uncomfortable and really hitting hard on my girlfriend's friend. I didn't think much more about it at the time and probably just thought he was being a bit brash and out there as Americans often appear to us more reserved Brits. A few years later I ran into him backstage at an event in France where I met a woman who later became my girlfriend. It must have been obvious that we'd just hooked up and I can remember May kind of leering at us, it was weird as everyone was just behaving normally.

I'm generally inclined to believe the testimony of people who say they've been sexually assaulted anyway, but in this instance when I started to learn about the emerging reports of May's predation I remembered those personal experiences and thought yeah, that cap kind of fits.

<moderating>

You’ll need to provide some very credible links for this threat pretty fast otherwise I’ll need to lose it as being potentially libellous. I’m struggling to find anything more than Twitter scuttlebut.

Thanks Seeker.

I think this is real Tony. I wouldn't post what I'd regard as unsubstantiated or malicious gossip and have clearly stated the reports are alleged. Alleged and in my opinion credible.

Rumours have been floating around for some time wrt this so not too surprising.

If true, they should cut his gonads off, hasn’t done anything for the best part of 30 years tbh.
He was worshipped late 80’s to early 90’s (me included) but never really did anything else approaching the quality of those early records put out.

His importance and stature shouldn’t be underestimated in the scene for many he was the originator of Techno (Pretty much true) The DJ booths in those early years were pretty wild.....

If these allegations are true, I hope he has the book thrown at him - and this coming from someone who idolised him as a DJ.

I've already had a falling out with someone I've known from the scene for a long time for coming out with the "he was always OK with me when I met him" type nonsense.

**** him, and anyone else up to this kind of shit.

Think I figured out a long time ago he had no creative musical talent. He burned all the people who made/contributed to all those tracks in the 87-90 period, had no-one else to work with and then couldn't work with new partners without revealing his inabilities. Meantime he was earning a good living as a DJ and keeping the myth alive.

More women are coming forward with stories on a daily basis.

Funnily enough, the character and modus operandi similarities with Erick Morillo (who I did know quite well) are striking.

I remember he was lined up for gig somewhere, however refused to turn-up because he wasn't dj-ing the peak hours or not high enough in the pecking order. He has a bit of an attitude if you know what I mean. 'Strings of life' is good record, but other 'Detroit' people have had a much bigger impact on Techno (e.g. Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson) and less the Ego off course.

yes...depressing...spent a day with him in his Detroit dwelling (1990?) ... he was trying to get into movie soundtracks?? still have the demo tape somewhere

advertisement

Back