advertisement

Depeche Mode - any fans on here?

Yes, it was himself.

So, I was young working in an 'Apple Centre' in Birmingham in the early 90s. A guy comes in with a Powerbook (they had only been out a year or so), he looked pretty pale and distraught. 'How can I help'? He explained the screen is dead on the Powerbook. OK, standard procedure was that we booked it in, diagnosed the problem and if it was a warranty repair it would be done without quibble which I think this was the case. So I explained this to him and said it should be ready in about 10 days. 'TEN DAYS!, I need it tomorrow, it has the lighting software on for the Depeche Mode concert tomorrow night and I have no backup'. ' I would be really grateful if you could do something for me here, I am really at your mercy and there will be literally no lightshow tomorrow if this doesn't come back to me'.

I can't remember what we did, but we pulled it out of the bag (probably stole parts from another machine) and he came back for it the next day. He was so chuffed and said I don't know what to say how can I repay you?
- How about 3 tickets for the show?
- no problem, they will be on the door.
- back stage passes?
- absolutely

So 3 lads went along on this otherwise very dull Tuesday night, went to the ticket desk and sure enough, 3 tickets and 3 back stage passes. WHOOA! VERY EXCITED.

So excited, that two of us drank many pints during the show and then went back stage.

I remember it took at least 20-30 mins for the band to come into the room. During this time we couldn't believe how serious the fans were waiting, OMG they were totally ready to worship them, completely obsessed. Analyzing every last detail of the show.

Anyway, they walked in (minus Dave obviously, remember it's the early 90s) and everyone starts to whisper etc and saying Hi. My mate, shouts across the room at Martin in his best Brummie accent - 'was that yow prancing around the stage half hour a goo?'. To which Fletch runs from the other side of the room practically and lamps him one, then he starts on me but Martin and the security split it up. My mate gets thrown out into the very wet evening and Martin convinces Fletch that I can stay. Then turns his back and asked 'how did they get in anyway?'. Phew, he was wired!

I would have liked to have said 'I'll have you know that if it wasn't for me there would be no lights on tonight' ;-)

Listening to Memento Mori right now and on my fourth listen. I think it's their best work since Exciter and is what I would call a proper DM album. A good balance of tunes and darkness :D

For reference my two favourite DM albums are Violator (obvs) and Songs of Faith and Devotion (not so obvs).

Listening to Memento Mori right now and on my fourth listen. I think it's their best work since Exciter and is what I would call a proper DM album. A good balance of tunes and darkness :D

For reference my two favourite DM albums are Violator (obvs) and Songs of Faith and Devotion (not so obvs).
It’s definitely a grower. The two that were released first didn’t impress so I was a bit worried.

I would love to buy the new album but at around £42 for the vinyl that just seems excessively pricey to me so I will be streaming that one.

I would love to buy the new album but at around £42 for the vinyl that just seems excessively pricey to me so I will be streaming that one.

Sadly I think the whole vinyl revival movement is now seeing massive profiteering in play. I've been to a few record fairs recently and seen prices steadily increasing even for fairly run of the mill releases. The market will need to find a proper level but it needs people like you and me to stop buying it when the price gets just silly... which it seems we have as my copy is on CD :D

I like their older stuff when they weren't as old and pretentious. Always been awful songwriting though. Up to Violator was enough for me.

I quite like it - only listened to it twice all the way thru tho.

FWIW I think Playing the Angel is their best since Ultra - I have a soft spot for that album. Underrated, Ultra has strong songs and production on it IMV.

If readers want shiny polished synth reworking of DM stuff, check out Marsheaux' complete re-doing of A Broken Frame.

I think Should Be Higher (off Delta Machine), is their best single since 2000..

Starting this off so as not to thread crap over the excellent 80's topic started by @tiggers.

My favourite band. Ever since listening to Photographic on the Some Bizarre LP. See them at least once on every tour they have done since Music For The Masses. I like the drummer in the band - this goes against the grain for some Devotees. i also remember being awestruck watching Alan Wilder play live drums to I Feel You.

2013 tour - we were in Florida when the 1st set of UK dates came out. Bugger. Research ensued, and I spotted Berlin - so off we went there for a weekend break and to the Olympic Stadium to see them. 75,000 ish people(I think?).

I love Berlin. Been several times. The people are superb and friendly and, once they realise you are a UK Mode fan, engage in conversation willingly. It was the best afternoon/evening. They were also impressed that I was drinking Local beer (my favourite being Erdinger).

Loads of other anecdotes, but looking forward to seeing others stories...
Now I have a decent sound system I will have a listen, when only hearing something on TV it can be a completely different experience on good hifi

I haven't heard any DM for years but they always struck me as being DAF for wine bars.

It has to be said, there’s some magnificent Depeche Mode clips from German TV on YouTube…

I like their older stuff when they weren't as old and pretentious. Always been awful songwriting though. Up to Violator was enough for me.

Like most bands, they made their best records in their twenties. My mum got me Black Celebration from Woolworths when I was off school after breaking my arm… one of my first records, that must’ve cheered me up no end. : )

That and Violator is all I have, though I remember being in America during the tour that’s on 101, and being amazed how big they were. Dave a little more interesting by then than he seems in the above clips, I guess…

The turning point
Of a Korean
In Korea
Being insincere

Quality

Ha, yes. I posted all that in another thread quite a while ago, though I thought it was of a career…

(Saying that, I never did understand the I think that dog’s got a sick sense of humour line in ‘Blasphemous Rumours’.)

Too right, £42 for a double- its not really a double anyway as side 4 contains no songs, just an etching !!
The second disc contains a grand total of 4 songs.

First saw them in 1982 when they appeared on a Tyne Tees Television children's show called Razzmatazz. They lip synched See You. Haircut 100 were on the same show. I was a 12 year old in the audience. A few years later I got into their music and next saw them as a fan as opposed to an unsuspecting bored 12 year old who thought Haircut 100 were the better band. It was around 1987 at Whitley Bay Ice Rink. Never seen them since, but I have all of their albums, as far as a I know, and am sure they will be an enduring part of my music life.

I would say they are masters of the exciting, suspense building intro to a song.

As an aside I bought the two remix albums, 81-04 and 81-11. Not knowing what to expect I ended up loving them. Perhaps more than the originals!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back