advertisement

Dedicated Mains Spur or don't bother ?

Roy is the man for this job. My mains install (now largely redundant, thanks to batteries!) was fully RKR-compliant. He was heroically helpful in liaising with the bemused electrician, too!

I don't doubt that some of the mains products work a bit, but often you're just swapping one problem for another. It's fundamentally the wrong way to go about it.

New mains, or (better) batteries: John Kenny, Red Wine, Econote, MSB, sealed lead or lithium, ultra-lean notebooks: it's all do-able without spending a fortune.

Is your world so ideal where everything is predictable and easily controlled, Baz?

Mr Tibbs

When it comes to electrical goods, yes...

Relationships, on the other hand... whew!!!!!!!!

Stand back 'n' watch the sparks...

Mr T,

When was the last time you read in the instruction manual for a DVD or TV that it would work better on a seperate spur?

When it comes to electrical goods, yes...

Relationships, on the other hand... whew!!!!!!!!

Stand back 'n' watch the sparks...

Mr T,

When was the last time you read in the instruction manual for a DVD or TV that it would work better on a seperate spur?

With respect Basil, what you are demonstrating is lack of understanding of the physics involved.

For example;

Do you understand how a power amplifier imprints its output waveform on its mains power input?

Do you understand how switch-mode power supplies can cause noise to be injected into the mains supply feeding them, and what effect this can have on other items attached to the same socket?

Mr Tibbs

With respect Basil, what you are demonstrating is lack of understanding of the physics involved.

For example;

Do you understand how a power amplifier imprints its output waveform on its mains power input?

Do you understand how switch-mode power supplies can cause noise to be injected into the mains supply feeding them, and what effect this can have on other items attached to the same socket?

Mr Tibbs

It would have to be an extraordinarily badly designed one, for the audio to make it's way back past the rectifiers, the caps and transformer coils...

I have tons of SMP supplies, and my kit is silent, as in ear pressed to the driver silent...

It would have to be an extraordinarily badly designed one, for the audio to make it's way back past the rectifiers, the caps and transformer coils...

Really? In actual fact, it would have to be a remarkably superbly designed one to reduce the effect by even a small fraction against that of a plain jane one.

I have tons of SMP supplies, and my kit is silent, as in ear pressed to the driver silent...

So you reckon your driver can reproduce frequencies in the RF range?

Better still, you're saying you can hear frequencies in the RF range?

And this is relevant because?

Give up now Baz - the hole is already very deep ;-)

Mr Tibbs

Really? In actual fact, it would have to be a remarkably superbly designed one to reduce the effect by even a small fraction against that of a plain jane one.

So you reckon your driver can reproduce frequencies in the RF range?

Better still, you're saying you can hear frequencies in the RF range?

And this is relevant because?

Give up now Baz - the hole is already very deep ;-)

Mr Tibbs

Sorry, I stopped caring about stuff that makes no difference to my kit several years ago...

It baffles me; alternatively I was fed the wrong info. many years ago, but it seemed logical then, and still does.

Bear with a pedant, please ! Would you call a plug a socket? Or vice versa? Of course not. Why on Earth, then, after countless dedicated mains threads, do people talk about SPURS ??????

A SPUR is an appendage FROM AN EXISTING CIRCUIT (whether ring or radial)

A RADIAL CIRCUIT radiates from a source (the c.u., e.g.). Think of radii or wheel spokes which emanate from a hub.

A SPUR cannot, repeat cannot be dedicated in the sense that nothing else is sharing that circuit.

Wait a moment while I don my flak jacket. :)

Sorry, I stopped caring about stuff that makes no difference to my kit several years ago...

Obviously you do care about this 'stuff' or you wouldn't bother throwing in your tuppence worth at every opportunity!

Have a nice evening.

Mr Tibbs

Obviously you do care about this 'stuff' or you wouldn't bother throwing in your tuppence worth at every opportunity!

Have a nice evening.

Mr Tibbs

rofl,

It's a forum...

You too, I have some Beethoven and Faure to play, enjoy listening to your mains...

;-)

mike you are right.

what people need to remember also, is that the quailty and condition of the incoming earth needs to be measured and brought up to standard if needs be.

have done this thing for clients many times and there is always some improvement. if youve got naim kit there is a huge improvement.

anyone who wants this doing im in leeds,and can quote

(part p reg spark, hnd, city and guilds etc etc etc,)

mike you are right.

what people need to remember also, is that the quailty and condition of the incoming earth needs to be measured and brought up to standard if needs be.

have done this thing for clients many times and there is always some improvement. if youve got naim kit there is a huge improvement.

anyone who wants this doing im in leeds,and can quote

(part p reg spark, hnd, city and guilds etc etc etc,)

An audiophile sparks !!!!! Definitely worth a premium rate !:)

Don't bother. I did it and all I can say is that it seems no better and no worse.

You're not alone; there have been one or two others in the past three years or so who've found no benefit. However, I suspect there is a good reason for this and London to brick on it's in your installation; shared c.u., hydras, low-amperage t.& e cable (s), feeble MCBs,/RCBOs or whatever.

Mind you, I s'pose it ultimately depends upon the quality of your incoming mains, but it does surprise me, as there are so many people who have benefitted from a more dynamic (read s.q.) presentation and less electrical interference.

It baffles me; alternatively I was fed the wrong info. many years ago, but it seemed logical then, and still does.

Bear with a pedant, please ! Would you call a plug a socket? Or vice versa? Of course not. Why on earth, then, after countless dedicated mains threads, do people talk about SPURS ??????

A SPUR is an appendage FROM AN EXISTING CIRCUIT (whether ring or radial)

A RADIAL CIRCUIT radiates from a source (the c.u., e.g.). Think of radii or wheel spokes which emanate from a hub.

A SPUR cannot, repeat cannot be dedicated in the sense that nothing else is sharing that circuit.

Wait a moment while I don my flak jacket. :)

pig[cat]eons..

-sound of brows furrowing and doubts being seeded. The level of neurosis around here is incredible.

Don't bother. I did it and all I can say is that it seems no better and no worse.

I've heard at least one system that sounded better on a standard lighting circuit ( a regular AC line w/multiple outlets that might have TVs, a clock radio or two, mom and sis's Hello Kitty battery charger, etc) than pop's dedicated AC line so nothing is a sure thing IMO.

I live in a very rural location. All the power for several houses comes in on ancient overhead lines. In fact this summer they switched us off a couple of times while they cut all the branches down that were rubbing on the lines for miles around. I haven't half wasted some money on this game!

advertisement

Back