advertisement

De-Naimification Complete!! I Feel Cleansed...or do I?

I've had 4 naim systems since the mid 90s. lots in between and my last two have been naim. No one else has (yet) produced such a neat, high-end, class A-B one box solution as the SuperUniti. Great foresight from naim way back in the time line.

Never chose the Naim path when the fork in the audio road made a choice between Linn & Naim.
too much faffing aboot wi' power supplies,but they (Naim); did look proper Kosher kit wi' all they big knobs!.

I de-Naimed about 12 years ago when I grew tired of all the boxes (plus my toddler son kept switching off the hi-caps), after a brief spell with a Denon AV setup I returned to proper hi-fi with NVA pre and power amps before returning to Naim.

Same, went from various early system to my first proper system of CD2/72/HC/250/R1sc's which I kept for a decent stint just after uni. Then got into other things, needed to grow up so all went and I returned to a more adapabtle small integrated system of rega elicit/micromega TDrive/DAC/PMC then ATC SIA2-150/meridian588CDP/PMC ... a few various iterations of the same systems and then found streaming audio.

Bought a naim supernait in 2007 which is a fantastic amp but was missing the tech of streaming so moved to a few others in pursuit of such a system. Went active for a few years then found naims 172/155 was everything I wanted and asked for back in 2007. Had that for a few years and recently bought an ex-dem superuniti.

Started way back with Naim and to this day I run a Nac52/Supercap with 135s, the source being LP12 and CD12.

I'll never change :)

Same, went from various early system to my first proper system of CD2/72/HC/250/R1sc's which I kept for a decent stint just after uni.

That's a helluva system for an impoverished student. Finally managed to save for something similar (CD2/82/HC/180/R1SCs) in my late twenties. Still one of the systems I miss the most.

To the OP, I've moved away (with a certain amount of fanfare - including 'I've dumped Naim!' threads on pfm...)and partly come back (with an SN2). I can't get away from the amps - they always seem to be the best balance of virtues for my ears.

Started out with a Nait 2, progressed through numerous permutations of pre/power/PSU, finally ending up with a 52/SUPERCAP/250.

The catalyst for me dumping the lot was Naim's apparent disinterest in vinyl replay. I was thinking of getting a Dynavector P-75 phono stage but had the opportunity to borrow an L-300 pre with P-300 phono module on home loan for a few days. To my ears, the L-300 simply blew the 52 into the weeds - no contest. Out went all the Naim olive boxes to be replaced by a pair of DV boxes. That was 12 years ago...

Today, I still have the L-300/P-300, having upgraded the power amp from an HX-75 to HX-100 a few years back. No regrets at all.

If you've spent long enough with Naim kit, you will subliminally equate enjoyment to the glow of little green logos. They knew what they were doing, they know you'll be back. Green, green, green...

That's a helluva system for an impoverished student. Finally managed to save for something similar (CD2/82/HC/180/R1SCs) in my late twenties. Still one of the systems I miss the most.

To the OP, I've moved away (with a certain amount of fanfare - including 'I've dumped Naim!' threads on pfm...)and partly come back (with an SN2). I can't get away from the amps - they always seem to be the best balance of virtues for my ears.

I was lucky, after I finished my architectural course I had an exhibition at the RCA (where I studied) and was commissioned by a German practice to do some presentation modelling for them at £1K p/w (cash) in Berlin. That lasted for 6 months and they even gave me free accommodation and flights. Twas an amazing time.

What an odd thread, you never find anyone announcing they are leaving any other brand, I find the whole Naim thing quite strange.

That's a helluva system for an impoverished student.

Strangely, I had a 401 and 12" SME plus Revox amplification, tuner and R to R during my student days, then went a bit crazy on top-flight quadraphonics (all systems) before ending up with a used Naim 42/110. From there, it was uphill all the Naim way for 3 decades, such were the addictive properties of the Naim brand. Never their speakers, though. Isobariks were as close as I got.

Totally different now, though

I'm not sure I would buy Naim again if starting all over and knowing what I know now. But my reasons for that are only financial and value for money.

Naim are very good at providing a system which provides engagement, but engagement is not a monopoly of Naim or Linn.

Provided one has a good source like Chord Mojo, and good quality cables from Chord or Vertere, then I find that very engaging too - only minus the huge costs. There are good amplifiers around, that are available at sensible prices. I think Naim is still competitive in terms of pricing, but I know of people who went from a Naim to Roksan, Exposure, Teddy Pardo, and Plinius with no regret at all.

I love Naim very much, but technology in cables and digital sources have caught up. Before advising anyone to buy any hardware at all, or any upgrade, today knowing what I know, I would say try a chord or vertere interconnect first. Could be all that one needs to be engaged.

It is quite telling with Touraj of Vertere says he has nothing to add to the market in terms of speakers, or electronics, and says those are as good as they can get today from various companies. His value addition is with cables, as he says, well those are really the weak links in today's systems.

This is a quote from one of his interview

"TM: Say you go to a jazz club and they’re playing music through a P.A. system. I guarantee you that, even with a modest P.A. system, when a guy gets up and starts strumming his guitar, you’ll immediately think, oh, somebody is playing!
You know it’s real. And that is true ‘high-end’.
The things we normally associate with high-end, like manufacturing efficiency and the technical
aspects of a product, you’re attributing that to the quality of the reproduction. But that is not the sound quality.
So going back to my Singapore experience, Customer A’s system had dynamics and detail... but I could not listen to it for long. Customer B’s system made music; I couldn’t stop listening to it.
Then, at the first guy’s system, my dealer came with the new tonearm cable. We replaced the old one and everything changed. I couldn’t believe it. And it wasn’t a subtle thing, it was really a transformation.
So I wanted to find out what was going on. I got lots of different cables from dealers, customers and friends. I put them in a system that I knew inside out. And again, the same thing. From unlistenable to music. A complete tonal balance change. So I started thinking about this and began looking at connections between components."

What an odd thread, you never find anyone announcing they are leaving any other brand, I find the whole Naim thing quite strange.

Over the years I've been pleased that people move on from the Naim brand as it's meant that there has been a good range of s/h gear available that continues to hold its value,sounds good, is well built and can be serviced at reasonable cost, which is more than can be said for a lot of the so called esoteric gear that people get seduced by.

So hopefully announcements of this sort encourage more people to sell their Naim :)

You're poking the dragon with a stick, on purpose, aren't you?

Where's Julf when you need him? :D

I have no issue with analogmusic's statement:

Before advising anyone to buy any hardware at all, or any upgrade, today knowing what I know, I would say try a chord or vertere interconnect first. Could be all that one needs to be engaged.

It is quite possible that all that the OP needs to be engaged is a chord or vertere interconnect. Or some crystals, wooden blocks, joss sticks, a glass of good wine, a nice painting, a massage or a favourable horoscope.

Over the years I've been pleased that people move on from the Naim brand as it's meant that there has been a good range of s/h gear available that continues to hold its value,sounds good, is well built and can be serviced at reasonable cost, which is more than can be said for a lot of the so called esoteric gear that people get seduced by.

So hopefully announcements of this sort encourage more people to sell their Naim :)
Again, very odd.

Why does anyone have to move on from a brand, i find this way of thinking very strange.

I own Naim, Rega, Arcam, Rotel Marantz, i would not consider moving on from any of it, i would just sell it on if i felt the need.
Surely it's about the music & which equipment allows you to enjoy it to it's fullest.

I enjoy swapping around when i'm bored.

I have no issue with analogmusic's statement:

It is quite possible that all that the OP needs to be engaged is a chord or vertere interconnect. Or some crystals, wooden blocks, joss sticks, a glass of good wine, a nice painting, a massage or a favourable horoscope.

My next upgrade will definitely be some good wine and a massage...Now we're talking! :D

I'm not sure I would buy Naim again if starting all over and knowing what I know now. But my reasons for that are only financial and value for money.

Naim are very good at providing a system which provides engagement, but engagement is not a monopoly of Naim or Linn.

Provided one has a good source like Chord Mojo, and good quality cables from Chord or Vertere, then I find that very engaging too - only minus the huge costs. There are good amplifiers around, that are available at sensible prices. I think Naim is still competitive in terms of pricing, but I know of people who went from a Naim to Roksan, Exposure, Teddy Pardo, and Plinius with no regret at all.

I love Naim very much, but technology in cables and digital sources have caught up. Before advising anyone to buy any hardware at all, or any upgrade, today knowing what I know, I would say try a chord or vertere interconnect first. Could be all that one needs to be engaged.

It is quite telling with Touraj of Vertere says he has nothing to add to the market in terms of speakers, or electronics, and says those are as good as they can get today from various companies. His value addition is with cables, as he says, well those are really the weak links in today's systems.

This is a quote from one of his interview

"TM: Say you go to a jazz club and they’re playing music through a P.A. system. I guarantee you that, even with a modest P.A. system, when a guy gets up and starts strumming his guitar, you’ll immediately think, oh, somebody is playing!
You know it’s real. And that is true ‘high-end’.
The things we normally associate with high-end, like manufacturing efficiency and the technical
aspects of a product, you’re attributing that to the quality of the reproduction. But that is not the sound quality.
So going back to my Singapore experience, Customer A’s system had dynamics and detail... but I could not listen to it for long. Customer B’s system made music; I couldn’t stop listening to it.
Then, at the first guy’s system, my dealer came with the new tonearm cable. We replaced the old one and everything changed. I couldn’t believe it. And it wasn’t a subtle thing, it was really a transformation.
So I wanted to find out what was going on. I got lots of different cables from dealers, customers and friends. I put them in a system that I knew inside out. And again, the same thing. From unlistenable to music. A complete tonal balance change. So I started thinking about this and began looking at connections between components."
Well done :)

I fear Julf may explode after reading this.

In truth...I sort of have to agree with you! Somehow Naim has become part of the British Audiophile psyche and seems to be intertwined with talk of upgrades and indeed sound quality. It's just a thing that many of us seem to discuss because it is in effect such a good brand that is entrenched in the British (mostly) Hifi mindset.

You're quite right, though, that it would also seem strange to discuss the disposal of Meridian, Cyrus or Mark Levinson in the same way as Naim...apart from which I couldn't even hope to spell or pronounce the appropriate adjective describing the ridding oneself of those particular brands - Lol!!!

And further to that...IMHO...I think many of us on this distinguished Forum are possibly a bit crazy! :D;):cool: ......I know I am!!!

advertisement

Back