advertisement

De-Naimification Complete!! I Feel Cleansed...or do I?

Linn/Naim for me was a rite of passage. I didn't start out with it, I haven't ended up with it, but I enjoyed the journey very much. I spent much of the '80s aspiring to an LP12, 32/HiCap/250 and a pair of Briks and finally got there in the mid-90s second-hand (I actually had 135s). Kind of wish I'd kept a mint boxed Nait 2 though, but no way would I pay today's prices for one! I've still got a lot of respect for the proper Vereker-era kit. It is good stuff.
Agreed, all the Naim stuff I had was great fun and generally reliable. Lived with my 135s and Briks for a long long time. But what at I have now and no disrespect to Naim stuff is another world away. Still have the LP12 from '87 though...

Moved my Naim on a while ago.Couldnt afford to go the upgrade route and decided I should go second hand.Ended up with Yamaha,Rotel,B&W with Roon based streaming.No regrets.I love the system and Naim is a warm distant memory. It's good to change I think.

I'm using rothwell attenuators on my audio note DAC as it pumps out a hefty 2.5V which gave me very little range on the preamp.

They have done the trick and I don't notice any difference in sound.

I'm sceptical about gong this route, and my CDP shunts out 3.4V. It's been calculated that I need attenuators of about -4dB (?) but 10 seems to be the lowest Rothwell. I'm tempted to have the input sensitivity on my pre. reduced, which shouldn't theoretically compromise s.q. What value attenuators do you use?

Linn/Naim for me was a rite of passage. I didn't start out with it, I haven't ended up with it, but I enjoyed the journey very much. I spent much of the '80s aspiring to an LP12, 32/HiCap/250 and a pair of Briks and finally got there in the mid-90s second-hand (I actually had 135s). Kind of wish I'd kept a mint boxed Nait 2 though, but no way would I pay today's prices for one! I've still got a lot of respect for the proper Vereker-era kit. It is good stuff.
Naim was a sharp blip on my hifi consciousness back in the late 90s/early noughties. Started with a simple 102/180 combo to replace a crappy integrated amp, and it quickly progressed to a full-blown CDS2/52/135 system over half a dozen years.

For similar reasons as the OP, I consciously de-Naimed my system; replacing it piece by piece with Densen. But I never got rid of it all. I still have an ARO and 'Geddon PSU for my LP12 and a NAIT2 in the loft. These are all Vereker-era kit and bloody good at what they do. I have no desire for any other pieces of Naim in my retro-Japfi paradigm.

I'm sceptical about gong this route, and my CDP shunts out 3.4V. It's been calculated that I need attenuators of about -4dB (?) but 10 seems to be the lowest Rothwell. I'm tempted to have the input sensitivity on my pre. reduced, which shouldn't theoretically compromise s.q. What value attenuators do you use?

I'm using the -10dB ones which drops my 2.5V DAC down to 0.8V which is fine with my preamp as I now have a very wide range of volume control.

For you -10dB would drop your 3.4v down to 1.1V which should be fine with the vast majority of preamps.

I think the speakers are your star buy - a great find. Do you have any pics of the crossover internals (I love all that sort of stuff :))?

I had a Linn / Naim set up for over 30 years. LP 12, 32 Hi-cap and 250 a feeding a pair of Isobariks.

Still got the Isobariks but moved onto Avondale Grad 1, Paradise phono stage, TPX2 and Witch Hat monos ( similar to M130's. Stiletto LP 12, Aro, Armegeddon, Cirkus, Kiseki Blue NS, Trampolin 2.

Only Naim kit left is Nat 101 / Snaps Tuner and CDS / CDPS.

Regards,

Martin

Had Linn and Naim for around 30 years.
Upgraded gradually and Linn and Naim didn't give me the sound quality or the price I was after

I think the speakers are your star buy - a great find. Do you have any pics of the crossover internals (I love all that sort of stuff :))?

Hi...yes I tend to agree! I have one photo of the crossover internals taken by the seller....but I will try to get some better ones as this is a bit limited. Cheers. More Photos added at the top of the thread.

Awesome looking speakers.

I myself have almost concluded de-naimification. What a term! The project will be complete Tuesday week and then all will be revealed. On thinking about it, I will not have completely de-naimified - the Aro remains!

Those large green capacitors look like they may be Russian ex military Teflon - looking at the number strapped to each other they must be making up quite a high value.

Well I have no idea...but I will open a box up and have a nosey :) Whatever they are...they make great music together!

Awesome looking speakers.

I myself have almost concluded de-naimification. What a term! The project will be complete Tuesday week and then all will be revealed. On thinking about it, I will not have completely de-naimified - the Aro remains!

Yes...it is quite a term! I borrowed it from other Members! It will be interesting to see what your replacements will be! Cheers Andrew

There was a time when I had a full Naim system and nothing else. Over a fairly long period of time I realised that throwing money at the system in the form of upgrades was just wasting cash. I took a punt on a Teddy psu and now have a Teddy pre, monos and dac. One of the biggest shocks I had was hearing a squeezebox touch with a Teddy psu. A superb digital source for about £600. I changed the speakers for NVA cube 3s and added a Rega tt plus NVA phono stage. All great bits of kit to my ears and the upgrade itch has disappeared.

The 3 manufacturers must be doing something right !

Erm...I haven't, well some would argue I have but conceptually I haven't - I'm pleased for anyone enjoying their audio journey though, in a non-secular sense :).

I wouldn't be surprised half of the ones who got rid of their Naim gear come back to it sooner or later. That's ok and if they dont it's ok too.

advertisement

Back