advertisement

Dac/streamer - not as involving as vinyl

I have the Kamasi Washington - the Epic LP box on the shelf, one of the many albums I've not had time to listen too; sounds like I'm in for a treat!

I understand where you guys are coming from on this but if you get digital right there really isn't any difference.

The reason vinyl makes you listen to whole albums is that it draws you in. It makes you forget about the machine and connect with the artists but this is not exclusively the domain of the turntable. Digital can do this too. Ok, there are more turntables that do it and fewer digital front ends but both can be just as good at it.

You can't just brush all turntables as good, all digital is bad. It's just not true.

And there is also the fact that you tend to play albums you like all the way though as you can't be bothered getting up to skip tracks ;0)

Very true, and this is why I'm careful in just expressing this as my opinion and not trying to pass it off as fact, to be fair it's what works in my system but being honest my system is very much vinyl biased, I'm sure if I bought a decent CD player the digital sound would be just as good with the right recordings

...to be fair it's what works in my system but being honest my system is very much vinyl biased...

That was always a problem I had, getting vinyl and CD to both sound right as the players sound so different. The Saturn-R removed that issue as it has a very similar sonic signature to a good turntable.

That was always a problem I had, getting vinyl and CD to both sound right as the players sound so different. The Saturn-R removed that issue as it has a very similar sonic signature to a good turntable.
My FIL has an original Saturn. Really nice player.

There are instances where the vinyl version of an album can turn out to be a lot worse than the digital.

I recently bought a copy of Suzanne Vega's New York Songs and Stories on vinyl. On on one of the LPs (it's a double album) there is a background roar, a bit like rumble from a poor TT, which is very noticeable in the quiet passages. The vinyl itself has a noticeable orange peel appearance, which I have seen before and recall is the result of the disc being ejected from the press when too hot. I also recall that this type of defect can be the result of a poorly cut original. The other LP isn't as bad. The digital file streamed from Qobuz, however, exhibits no such issue and, as a result, is far more enjoyable.

The recording was of a live show at the Carlisle Hotel in New York and has not been brick walled (She is not the type to request this type of nonsense!).

My greatest reservation about streaming services is that you own nothing. Stop paying for the streaming service and you are left with...zero music. With vinyl and CDs you own that music forever, and you at least know the artist got more royalty money (though hardly a generous amount) than the pittance streaming companies pay. I find it troubling how easily people have adapted to the idea of everything as a perpetually-billable service. It’s a great business model (steady revenue stream for the service providers), but I prefer to decide when I want to spend money on something or simply sit tight with what I already own.

Not necessarily true. Much of my streaming is done from lossless rips of my own CD's stored on my NAS.
That’s what I do as well, my reference was to streaming services. I’ll edit that first sentence to make that more clear.

The streaming set-up I'm listening to at the moment is pretty basic but is certainly involving enough. It's using lossless rips stored on my local DAC via a Squeezebox touch using it's optical output into a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. If I played the original CD via the Music Fidelity M1CDT transport in that system into the same DAC I'd be struggling to tell the difference.

Whether it's as involving as the vinyl set-up is open to question, but it's not an issue as all the sources are enjoyable.

Yep, sitting on my sofa and using the Audirvana app on my iPad to control playback of ripped CDs on my iMac is glorious. Love it! I’ve got Atom Heart Mother playing right now as I type this.

My greatest reservation about streaming services is that you own nothing. Stop paying for the streaming service and you are left with...zero music. With vinyl and CDs you own that music forever, and you at least know the artist got more royalty money (though hardly a generous amount) than the pittance streaming companies pay. I find it troubling how easily people have adapted to the idea of everything as a perpetually-billable service. It’s a great business model (steady revenue stream for the service providers), but I prefer to decide when I want to spend money on something or simply sit tight with what I already own.

Excellent point, but in my book a tenner a month for access to 50 million songs is just one of 21st century life's essential utilities. Plus there's still internet radio.

I do buy CDs occasionally and store them, but it's hard to stay motivated. The CD is usually only marginally better than Spotify. And for a lot of new releases that come out in 24 bit, the CD itself is now the "compressed" version. I should really start buying hi-res downloads, but then it's back to the faff of managing files on computers and all the associations of work rather than relaxation. Hi-res streaming I can take or leave, enjoy for a few months and then unsubscribe and resubscribe if/when I miss it.

Not necessarily true. Much of my streaming is done from lossless rips of my own CD's stored on my NAS.
Likewise with an Innuos Zen. Now that I have ripped my own collection to the hard drive, I am beginning to rip the most desirable CD's that belong to friends and family. Great fun. I get the notion that there are risks attached to depending on streaming services for ones music and if they go bust, one is left with nothing, but that is a risk many are happy to take, which is down to the convenience of streaming.

I actually use Qobuz (there was a free trial included when I bought Audirvana for my iMac), and find it quite useful for auditioning albums to see if I want to then purchase the CD. It’s been very helpful when I think I really need to buy some old album from decades ago, only to realize it’s pretty weak and not worth getting.

I actually use Qobuz (there was a free trial included when I bought Audirvana for my iMac), and find it quite useful for auditioning albums to see if I want to then purchase the CD. It’s been very helpful when I think I really need to buy some old album from decades ago, only to realize it’s pretty weak and not worth getting.

I am getting into streaming through Qobuz. I am finding it a good way to explore music. In the past I've bought CDs and played them and wonder if they were worth the money, or even if I'll ever listen to them again. Probably about 30% of my CDs are unlikely to be played any time soon.

Any thing I like I mark up as a favourite in Qobuz.

I stream to find new stuff, which I'll then then either buy on vinyl if it comes with lossless digital, or if its one of the bands I'm a completevist for, and if not ill just buy the digital. Streaming pays musicians feck all, I like to buy what I like and make sure they get paid for it, fairly.

I stream to find new stuff, which I'll then then either buy on vinyl if it comes with lossless digital, or if its one of the bands I'm a completevist for, and if not ill just buy the digital. Streaming pays musicians feck all, I like to buy what I like and make sure they get paid for it, fairly.

exactly what I do

If you want the "involving" sound of vinyl it can be captured very effectively using digital recording techniques (16/48 is plenty). WIth a bit of de-popping, it can be better than the original, and you can skip the crap bits of music easily.

I'm surprised there is not a "vinyl app" to make CD etc sound like LP. Roll off and mono the bass, add a peak at hf to emulate cartridge resonance, add some modest random resonances, add some end of side distortion etc. :D

If you want the "involving" sound of vinyl it can be captured very effectively using digital recording techniques (16/48 is plenty). WIth a bit of de-popping, it can be better than the original, and you can skip the crap bits of music easily.

I'm surprised there is not a "vinyl app" to make CD etc sound like LP. Roll off and mono the bass, add a peak at hf to emulate cartridge resonance, add some modest random resonances, add some end of side distortion etc. :D
Yes but....a good record deck and digital front end can sound remarkably similar. Also not all decks produce end of side distortion.

advertisement

Back