advertisement

Dac nearly caught fire… soncoz

Oh dear, and thanks for the warning and reminder that electronic equipment can and occasionally does catch fire.

Perhaps Soncoz dealers should be offering complementary fire insurance, or maybe an audiophile fir extinguisher!

Last edited:
Just a warning for those of you with a soncoz sgd1. Turned it on, then a burning smell and loads of smoke.

That’s worrying, I’m using one here, excellent DAC. Is yours still in the warranty period, have you let the supplier know what’s happened?

I had the cheaper soncoz dac. I’d only owned it a few weeks when it suddenly got very hot and started making a loud clicking sound. I unplugged it immediately.

It didn’t work after that, and soncoz weren’t exactly brilliant about refunding me. I had to get PayPal involved.

Speak to Purite Audio, he is an importer/distributer and supporter of these little fire boxes, should be able to help you out with warranty claims.

Just a warning for those of you with a soncoz sgd1. Turned it on, then a burning smell and loads of smoke. Be careful leaving yours on. Now need a repair.

Cheers Tim
Did you buy it from the UK distributor Tim?

Looking at a video showing the internals of an SGD1, I don't see any of the usual fire hazards like tantalum bead capacitors. I do see two of those blue potted mains transformers, that always seem to cook on UK mains

Looking at a video showing the internals of an SGD1, I don't see any of the usual fire hazards like tantalum bead capacitors. I do see two of those blue potted mains transformers, that always seem to cook on UK mains

I am sure Keith @Purité Audio being a self appointed expert of everything will have investigated that before opting to become an ambassador of the brand..

Fear not, If there's a problem...If no one else can help...And if you can find them...Purite Audio! Duuu dum dar dum dah dah!

Last edited:
I’m sure Keith may be concerned but surely discussions and questions should be around the maker, not the dealer?

I’m sure Keith may be concerned but surely discussions and questions should be around the maker, not the dealer?

They can be about both, especially when often such dealer portrays themselves as an expert, so they will be able to explain the build of the units and the safety/BS standards implementations that have been incorporated into the design and build which provided them with security and trust when stocking such a product, and selling it on the British market to people whole will be plugging them into the sockets in their houses.

I would be interesting in hearing these sort of things and therefore feel it is relevant especially when the business is an active forum member.

They can be about both, especially when often such dealer portrays themselves as an expert, so they will be able to explain the build of the units and the safety/BS standards implementations that have been incorporated into the design and build which provided them with security and trust when stocking such a product, and selling it on the British market to people whole will be plugging them into the sockets in their houses.
So why not have a go at the maker then? I’m not sure that he portrays himself as an expert. I may not agree with some of his opinions but at least Keith is consistent in these. It does look personal TBH.

So why not have a go at the maker then? I’m not sure that he portrays himself as an expert. I may not agree with some of his his opinions but at least Keith is consistent in these. It does look personal TBH.

I haven't had a go at anyone. I asked the dealer/self appointed expert who stocks and sells these to explain justifications of taking them on as a brand and that they conform to all BS safety standards. He has a choice to do so or not. It dosent matter if it was bought from him or not, I doubt they make special 'Purite' versions.

He may come in and explain everything is legit, which is great, but if it not it would maybe extend the conversation to ensure maybe that these units get some revisions and thus don't get the chance to burn people's houses down. Only a positive surely?

advertisement

Back