advertisement

DAC Kit - what else do I need? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Thank you Mr Bemused Sir, just some tidying around has cured the problem & this DAC's sounding really terrific. So much better all round than with the standard upsampling board.

I repositioned the Flea, mounted it on some proper standoffs, shortened & added some more twists to the signal wires between Flea & upsampling board, unsoldered the trafo. to RCAs and RCA digital input to board & retwisted, rerouted cabling here and there. An important lesson learned!

dac-with-modded-repositioned-Flea.jpg

I think I'll tidy up the soldered connections on the trafos - done when I was very unsure about what I was doing (not that I'm exactly confident now...)

Great news Tony, I am really pleased its working well for you.

It takes time to get confidence at this bodging game after all we all have a day job.
Just think how far you have come in a year, you should feel proud.

I see your DIR has a clock... more fleas ? :D

I was going to say no, but actually...

Can I power it from the same generic rectifier power supply do you think?

Yes it will work from a shared supply with the other flea, but you may get some improvemnt with a further transformer and smoothing circuit, you probably need to experiment.
The flea bite is ideal as its not expensive using just one tiny transformer, a pair of dpak rectifiers, and one cap and has a small footprint.

Could any body help out. I have the older red board DAC and want to try the up-sampling module, would also like to try it with some of the mods. I brought one of the black ones off eBay but it does not work. I contacted Gigawork but he has said that all the up-samplers now for sale are different to the older ones and none will work with the older boards. Just wondering if any body has a spare one from the older red board that they could sell me. Hope no problem posting a wanted on this thread, I think it would get missed in the DIY for sale thread.

Thanks

Hi Kirk

I have one you can have. It's from my old red DAC and works fine. However it has been modified with a reg booster in place of the 3.3V regulator on the back of the up sampling board. My DAC is dead so I have no need for it.

All I ask is a couple of quid for postage, PM your address if interested. Here is a couple of pics showing the beastie:

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

Did try he sent me a photo of one asking if that was what I wanted got back to him a couple of times after that, but he never got any replies. That is why I ended up with the black one.

I'm sure that the Red and Black version DAC's, especially the sampling boards, are more or less identical. The only changes were S/PDIF PLL updates in accordance to Cirrus datasheets and some alterations to the output section.

It may be the black sampling board is just faulty, quite a few people had problems with these.

By the way Kirk, I just looked at your website. Now I'm bloody starving! I might have a go at the pasta recipe :)

I was thinking it may be a duff did contact seller who was not that interested saying that he had never had any problems before.

If you are ever in York pop in I definitely owe you a sandwich.

Well, its won, its finaly beat me into the ground.

I just got fedup with fixing it.

CS4398 converter looks toasted now, I have supplies data and clocks on the chip but no analog off of it.

I dont think I will be fixing it up again.

Tony

Thanks Rich arrived today, but have now got a problem so need to sort that before I fit it. Switched the DAC on this evening and have no sound out of the left channel. I have a tube output stage and that seems fine, if I turn up the volume to full I can hear the music very quietly from that channel. Any one have an idea what I need to have a look at.

i hope you're not inundated with to many requests reg upgradeitis kits. what would be a sensible donation btw?

i hope you're not inundated with to many requests reg upgradeitis kits. what would be a sensible donation btw?

Hi Stefan

I was thinking along the lines of a couple hundred quid... or just a fiver, it's up to you.

Give me a week or so to sort them out for you :)

Thanks Rich arrived today, but have now got a problem so need to sort that before I fit it. Switched the DAC on this evening and have no sound out of the left channel. I have a tube output stage and that seems fine, if I turn up the volume to full I can hear the music very quietly from that channel. Any one have an idea what I need to have a look at.

Did you get anywhere with this Kirk?

Well, its won, its finaly beat me into the ground.

I just got fedup with fixing it.

CS4398 converter looks toasted now, I have supplies data and clocks on the chip but no analog off of it.

I dont think I will be fixing it up again.

Tony

really sad to hear that, tony.
since I am currently building a dac unit consisting of 4x PCM1794 followed by a discrete I/V stage (changed plans after a lot of research), I am in need for a digital frontend, in other words a s/pdif receiver and ASRC because I do not want to get into designing the digital side from scratch right now. Since it seems you don't plan on putting any more effort into this DAC- would you be willing to sell me the gigawork dac board with those two chips? I am not asking for all your fleas and teddys though, you probably will reuse them anyways, just let me know what you think.
really no problem if you still want to keep the unit, just thought I'd ask.

cheers,

Holger

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back