advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that most irks me is when car drivers refuse to overtake you until/unless they have both sides of the road to do it in! I hate that feeling of being closely tailed for 1/2 a mile whilst I'm shouting and swearing that "you could get a feckin bus past no problem, just overtake me you wazzock!"

This is where I prefered to ride my bike.

17cbbfd5.jpg

No arrogant 21st century numpties driving pretentious penis extensions. Few pot holes. Just good roads and proper people.

the picture of the road cut into the rock cliff looks familiar. i road in the villard-de-lans area once. a tour stage finished there. the one where lance surprisingly (well, not so surprisingly now) out sprinted the sprinters to win the stage. 1994, i think.

Most roads are about 16' wide, my car is 6' wide plus a bit. That leaves a rather slim 2' for you unless i go into the opposite carriageway.

I'd rather not have to take you to hospital thx!

The thing that most irks me is when car drivers refuse to overtake you until/unless they have both sides of the road to do it in! I hate that feeling of being closely tailed for 1/2 a mile whilst I'm shouting and swearing that "you could get a feckin bus past no problem, just overtake me you wazzock!"

You aren't playing the game. You are supposed to derive a sense of shadenfreude from holding up the traffic for half a mile or so.

I hate that feeling of being closely tailed for 1/2 a mile whilst I'm shouting and swearing that "you could get a feckin bus past no problem, just overtake me you wazzock!"

Yet you obviously don't hate it enough to just stop and wait until they have passed you and thus alleviating your need to swear and rant?

But if you swerve or wobble, then the driver is in the wrong if you go under his wheels. Drivers don't trust cyclists, generally, IMO.

Do you have a chip on each shoulder Steven or just the one?

That was meant in jest. You bit.

When I used to cycle a lot I hated holding up the traffic.

Now that roads have been narrowed in urban areas and bollards erected in the middle of them to bring cyclists and drivers into conflict I no longer feel safe cycling. I'm thinking of getting a MTB and going off-road. It would be safer.

But if you swerve or wobble, then the driver is in the wrong if you go under his wheels. Drivers don't trust cyclists, generally, IMO.

I always give them plenty of room both behind while I wait and alongside as I pass them. Some pull in a bit to help you get past them more quickly and safely once they know you are not aiming for them. Others don't.

I'm only wary of them when they are in numbers. They can behave unpredictably by, for example, suddenly pulling out and overtaking one another just as you've judged it safe to pass them.

I'm well aware of their presence and I ain't going to swerve or wobble.
At around town traffic speeds a meter between me and them suits me fine... just overtake!

I'm well aware of their presence and I ain't going to swerve or wobble.
At around town traffic speeds a meter between me and them suits me fine... just overtake!
How do you know? Are you prescient? And more importantly, how do THEY know? If you're turning round and ranting at them? Serve you right if they run you over.*
*Obviously not, I just thought I'd join you in the ranting game. :D

the picture of the road cut into the rock cliff looks familiar. i road in the villard-de-lans area once. a tour stage finished there. the one where lance surprisingly (well, not so surprisingly now) out sprinted the sprinters to win the stage. 1994, i think.

It IS near to Villard just before the Col de Machine on the way up there.

A lovely part of the world and one where I have spent many months. Indeed I acted as a guide for the London Dynamo Challenge Vercors trip a couple of years ago.

Often overlooked by the col baggers who are only familiar with Le Tour. Bloody good jazz club there too - just best avoided by our German members.

I sorry but you really are not worth discussing anything with. Why do you have to be so foul mouthed and odious all the time?

I can't put my finger on it but Jez and I are almost polar opposites both in our views on hi-fi and politics yet I'd happily have a few beers with the bloke and I'm sure we'd get along just fine.

He seems to match the forthrightness with refreshing honesty.

This is where I prefered to ride my bike.

17cbbfd5.jpg

No arrogant 21st century numpties driving pretentious penis extensions. Few pot holes. Just good roads and proper people.

Just wow ! A road to ride before I day (I hope).

If you like that kind of scenery then I can recommend the Tour D'Oisans. It starts in Grenoble and goes anticlockwise around the Oisans mountain range (Parc Nat. des Ecrins) taking in Mont Ventoux as a bit of a highlight. Set aside 7 cycling days and be fit. The views are sensational, but make sure that you take a coat even in summer.

Back in 1992 I had a day's MTB training in the Garrigue to the North of Montpellier. It was very enjoyable and fulfilling. The scenery isn't as breathtaking as in the Alps but it was still good nevertheless.

I have Cannock Chase near me and it has some lovely MTB trails. I really must get me a MTB as I could do with the cardio-vascular exercise and not having to play with traffic is a benefit to all.

I wonder if I would be able to remember the stuff I learnt 23 years ago in the heat of July 1992, although at the higher altitudes of the Cevennes it was noticeably cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back