advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've qualified for the UCI amateur worlds in Denmark in September...

Paul

Sadly there might be some HILLS in Denmark :D

Well done though to all who rode it. Very quick course from the sounds of it.

Well done on qualifying for the Worlds
Yesterday was the Dragon Ride. 143 miles of a not so fast course with 3,600m of hills!

Yesterday was the Dragon Ride. 143 miles of a not so fast course with 3,600m of hills!
I rode this three years ago. I don't think it was so far then... More than far enough though.

A small group of us are off to the Velothon next weekend, there are rumblings of angry locals, so we'll see. We went to look at the Tumble a few weeks ago, and everybody we met, including the drivers on the roads, was welcoming and accommodating. Very positive feel about the area.

Paul

No issues with the locals on the Dragon. I've seen the chatter re the 'angry' locals and the Velothon but don't expect any problems. Looking forward to it!

This log is crap. One post from the OP does not a log make!!!
I bet he's inside watching telly.

We're logging our cycling tosh, to avoid creating multiple threads and causing annoyance to the cabbie minded.

Paul

I live in what passes, by Lancashire/Merseyside border standards as a 'rural area'. There have been cyclists in the local lanes for all of the 40 years I've lived here. They've never been a problem until the last few years.
Now there are seemingly millions of them. Although there are some that are clearly family groups and some that are clearly very competent/experienced, the bulk seem to be from that same group of 30/40 something males who have got to the stage in life where they can dedicate a bit of cash to a hobby. (And we all here know what a pain in the arse that type can be!)

And the latest craze is?

They are all over the roads on their 'tourers' or whatever. I was confronted with about six of them this morning all too busy chatting ( no doubt about the relative merits of differing bottom brackets or somesuch) to notice that they were allowing legally parked vehicles to force their three wide 'pillokton' over the white line, in direct confrontation with Moi... already part way past another line of legally parked vehicles and travelling in the opposite direction.. I stopped and waited. Not much else to do really. I did give the merest and least aggressive beep I could on my horn. Just to let them know I was there you understand. (Only legal purpose for using the horn IIRC) Mercifully they missed me and went on their merry way.

It is this sudden increase in the popularity of cycling which is causng all the problems. Any old numpty can buy a bike and set off.

When I was a lad there were many fewer cars and many more cyclists. We not only had cycling proficiency classes etc., but in my school, you needed a permit to be allowed to go to school on your bike. Said permit was withdrawn and your bike 'impounded' (In the Tennis Courts) if it was found to be unsafe.

Sadly, the exponential increase in cycling has also resulted in canal towpaths, footpaths of all descriptions, National Parks, mountains, lakesides and even beaches being overrun with the bloody things. Even my local woodland is now a hell hole where some idiot on a 'mountain bike' is liable to emerge from the bushes at head height immediately in front of me with a a shout of 'thanks mate!', as I step back involuntarily in a cross between self preservation and shock.

Is nowhere sacred?

And don't give me all that 'fitness' bollocks.

If you want to get fit, get out of your car, off your bike, off your arse, onto your feet and walk, or run.

It's cheaper. And far less annoying.

Rant over.

Mull

Undertaken by a cyclist while indicating left last night in slow moving traffic he could have gone round me its only a motor bike.

Pete

Nope. Yet again a cycling thread has been hijacked by the pfm anti-cyclist mafia so it didn't seem worth continuing - sadly there's no fighting pig ignorance.

Mull,

I tend to agree that the "nouveau cycliste" in the UK is generally an ignorant twunt - but personally I think that's indicative of the society in general rather than the fact that they have bikes. Look at the behavior of 4x4 drivers for instance, or even pedestrians in many places.

Sadly the whole nation needs lessons in having manners and consideration for others IMHO.

On Sunday I had a right rant at a female cyclist riding the wrong way up a one way street. I would also have a go at idiots riding in pelotons ignoring the rules ( simple shouts of "oil" have been used by clubs for decades to assume narrow profiles and allow traffic to pass unhindered.).

I'd like to see all road users educated in manners and decorum. Sadly I doubt the Tories will initiate such a campaign unless they can privatise the service and offer a contract to a training operation whose directors are party members.

As for footpaths. Cyclists should not be on them and it is punishable by a fixed penalty notice. They are however allowed on bridleways, many permissable bridleways, some towpaths and various shared off road routes. It's possibly down to pedestrians to learn the rules here and to anticipate where they might reasonably expect to find bike riders. If they prefer to avoid them then stick to the footpaths.

As for my cycling blog, I went out on the 17th for a ride, came home nine days later, and am now selling lots of very expensive bikes and accessories. :)

Well done Paul R.
Managed a 40 on Thursday and a 100 on Sunday which is a first. Meanwhile [climbs on high horse] it was silly season in central Manchester this a.m. with several cyclists jumping red lights.

As for footpaths. Cyclists should not be on them and it is punishable by a fixed penalty notice. They are however allowed on bridleways, many permissable bridleways, some towpaths and various shared off road routes.

And motorists should not be using mobiles whilst driving, should not break the speed limits and should pass cyclists with a 'car width' of space. When they comply with the rules I might not feel the need to ride on footpaths to lower my risk of injury.

FWIW I rode up this footpath yesterday evening:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8959881,-1.6782649,69m/data=!3m1!1e3

I did not see any pedestrians but many tens of cars overtook me, some doing >60MPH (some doing nearly that in the 30MPH part).

Sorry but you still shouldn't ride on footpaths. There is no justification for breaking the law full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back