advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I have a pea gravel bike, an XC full suss mtb and an Emtb. The EMTB is by far the most fun. If it’s too schnizzly off-road for that I ride the PGB. The Amish mtb is just hard work nowadays.

I did do a bit of roadie stuff on the PGB, but have gradually changed to more and more off road. Just don’t want to take the risk on the road!

Drop bars are shite off road but do make for a bit of fun on the corners. Mild gravel tyres are fine if you accept you’re not getting up muddy hills. I think Santa Cruz do a gravel bike with flat bars, I reckon that would be a good compromise.

I guess it depends how off-road it is Steve, I use 32mm Panaracer Gravelking on mine so I'm not too slow or uncomfortable on the road, my routes typically combine the two.

I did try more ambitious trails using some knobblier tyres when I first got the gravel bike but felt I should be on the hard tail instead with its front-sus, wide flat bars and proper off-road tyres. I also have 35mm Schwalbe G-One Allroad with a much grippier looking central tread sitting on the shelf but the conversion to indoor winter riding means I didn’t get round to fitting and trying them and I may never get round to it now.

For those folks running gravel bikes - any recommendations on tyres?
Mine uses Pana Gravel King. Correction - they are Panaracer Comet Hardpack 38mm. They're OK, it's what it came with. As such they're a low cost general use item. Slightly noisy on the road, OK in dry off road and light mud. I want to try Schwalbe CX pro, I have CX comp on my single speed towpath and town bike and I really like them. The cx pro is more mud flavoured so I fancy a pair for winter.

Last edited:
For those folks running gravel bikes - any recommendations on tyres?

horses for courses, but I use Panracer gravel king SS (semi slick) tyres which do not have a knobby centre tread. They are fast on the road and on hardpack gravel which is where i do most of my riding. No good in muddy conditions, but there isnt really much mud around here.

Been out on a bike pretty much every day for the last week.

Today it was 20km of local singletrack and a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 was the perfect bike to make modest trails fast and exciting.

horses for courses, but I use Panracer gravel king SS (semi slick) tyres which do not have a knobby centre tread. They are fast on the road and on hardpack gravel which is where i do most of my riding. No good in muddy conditions, but there isnt really much mud around here.
Been thinking of trying some GK SK 32s tubeless on my Audax bike. GKs seem pretty much the go-to for gravel tubeless.

Looks nice and a good price, enjoy your rides!
Thank you, will do.

First big trip is to Skipton for a couple of nights B&B, with a ride in the hills around the area. We will set off from Castleford, go through Leeds, Bingley etc, following the rivers/canals.

Looking at getting a rack and panniers for the trip.

Already talk of a camping trip after this, exciting times!

Wiggle has finally stopped trading with a promise to be back soon as part of Mike Ashley enterprises. It'll become just another tired site selling the wares of companies that he's managed to trash.

Wiggle has finally stopped trading with a promise to be back soon as part of Mike Ashley enterprises. It'll become just another tired site selling the wares of companies that he's managed to trash.
Quite a shame as them (and Chain Reaction Cycles who've been part of the same company for quite a while now) were my go-to for bike parts.

My team implemented quite a few of their IT systems before and during the CRC purchase and given how well they were trading back them it's surprising that they've gone bust.

Quite a shame as them (and Chain Reaction Cycles who've been part of the same company for quite a while now) were my go-to for bike parts.

My team implemented quite a few of their IT systems before and during the CRC purchase and given how well they were trading back them it's surprising that they've gone bust.
I try to use small independent shops when I can so get bike bits from SJS. They have a good stock of small parts and it's all very accurately listed on the website with info about what is compatible between groupsets etc.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

advertisement

Back