advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I've had my Cotic Roadrat since 2010 when I bought it on the bike-to-work scheme as a factory Alfine build which sneaked in just under the £1000 bike-to-work limit that applied back then. Quite a bargain really as it the closest equivalent Cotic frame now costs about the same as the whole bike did. It was mainly bought to be my commuter and for a little bit of light touring although I switched it to gravel tyres a couple of years back. The Alfine has been good (it's not been serviced in that entire time!) but for gravel use the gear range is a bit restrictive so I decided to rebuild it as a 1x11 derailleur set-up instead. That's trickier than it sounds as the bike has sliding horizontal dropouts, however Cotic used to do a chain tug that had a mech hanger on - but unfortunately when I contacted them they no longer have any. Instead they pointed me to DMR chain tugs that can do the same thing so I ordered a set of those.

So this weekend I raided my parts bin and rebuilt it, with the only other bits I needed to purchase being some gravel bike wheels which I got via Facebook marketplace (£60 for a wheelset originally from a Boardman ADV including tyres). It's a proper "bitsa" at the moment - an 11-51 Deore cassette and matching Deore long cage mech (which I think is the only 11 speed one that does 11-51), the 39t Alfine chainset that was already on the bike, a XTR shifter, Deore front hydro brake and the original Magura Julie rear (still on the original pads and not even bled since 2010!). The tyres are mismatched (both 38c but a Schwalbe front and a Vittoria rear) and more for tarmac & hardpack than mud, plus probably wire beaded so likely quite heavy.

174385399.qz6vth5p.rr01.jpg
I took it up in the the Pentlands for a shakedown ride on a mix of tarmac, gravel and muddy/rooty trails and it coped pretty well and seemed fairly fast. Despite the heavy tyres and that monster cassette it's also lost 1 lb in weight compared to when it had the Alfine, despite the Alfine build having what I'm pretty sure are much lighter tyres. Gearing with the 39t chainring and 11-51t cassette seems ideal - fast enough at the top end that I PB'd one of the downhill Strava segments in fact. The only downside I can really see is that it's likely to be a massive pain in the backside taking the back wheel off to fix a puncture, so I might see if one of the local framebuilders will weld a mech hanger on (as it's a steel frame). There is a framebuilder very close to my Edinburgh place that makes frames for Cotic, so I'll see if they'd be willing to do it.

I'm toying with the idea of going to drop bars but don't have any spare road bike hydro brakes and shifters, so it might stay as flat bars with stubby bar-ends for a while. I've got a spare set of XTR brakes which might get fitted, and I've also got more dirt orientated tyres that I'll fit (which are folding bead so probably lighter as well).

There has been talk with some of my friends in the Cairngorms about a bikepacking trip into one of the bothies that we can ride to straight from our village, offroad all the way. That'll likely mean carrying a fair bit of booze and as the Roadrat has rack fittings front and rear (and I have racks for it from back when it was my tourer) it'll most likely be the bike used for that. This was it back in its Alfined tourer days:

134909200.pvQFcb6u.jpg
Nice. Love a new build. The non matching brakes would fry my bike OCD, though.

Been using the 5100 group for a while now. Have you found the cassette gets a bit noisier than it should once it’s wet and dirty? Mine makes a horrible noise on wet trail days, like today.

I did my good deed for the day this morning, early morning drive and temp around zero after hard frost and as I got up to Newlands Corner 3 riders were roadside fixing the puncture one of them had. I stopped and offered my track pump which was gratefully taken up. We chatted a bit and they asked how come I carried one around (in the boot of my convertible), I explained that whilst a huge number of riders ignore you (at least in the counties around London) two or three good Samaritans stick out in my mind and one years ago gave me an inner tube, he wouldn’t take money but said carry one around and help someone out when they need it. That stuck with me and I do have one in the car, hence also the track pump.

Later, a couple of hours on Zwift and 1100 calories burned without enduring the weather, very happy with this in my autumn cycling years.

Did my first biggish ride of the year yesterday, the weather was surprisingly warm for the time of year. We used the strava mapping app to suggest a route based on your preferred distance. The route was surprisingly good, quiet roads that we wouldn’t have known about and lovely scenery. This is me at the top of a climb (1100m ASL) with Mount Pilatus in the background.

FhJ5flu2WrEiMm7M1X97_DNMOsV6lIvNcBmu6xLWoks-2048x1536.jpg

Challenging conditions in the Kent/Surrey lanes on Saturday. The sun came out but at times there was a lot of rain. On the longest continual descent, three and a half miles of a gentle fast gradient we were battered by a hail storm. The road turned into a river and riders were having difficulty feeling their fingers and toes. Some had to stop and warm up in a pub.
Remember a gritty taste when I drank from my bottle and reckon that whatever muck had been splashed up on to it was the cause of a vomiting bug in the evening.

Nice. Love a new build. The non matching brakes would fry my bike OCD, though.

Been using the 5100 group for a while now. Have you found the cassette gets a bit noisier than it should once it’s wet and dirty? Mine makes a horrible noise on wet trail days, like today.
I've got the same cassette and mech on a couple of my mountain bikes and can't see I've noticed them being any noisier than other setups.

Just been checking with the gear calculator on the Sheldon Brown site and with the 39 front and 11-51 cassette then the range is 20.9 to 96.9 gear inches, compared to 25.5 to 78.2 when it had the Alfine. So quite a useful improvement, as well as the 1.4lbs of weight its lost.

Can't really complain about the Alfine though, given it's needed zero maintenance in more than a decade, other than a new chain once.

I've got the same cassette and mech on a couple of my mountain bikes and can't see I've noticed them being any noisier than other setups.
Cheers. I've done some measuring this morning. A 135mm QR hub should have a 49mm chainline. The 5100/4100 crankset has a 52mm boost chainline. 3mm chainring spacers on order. Maybe that'll quieten it down a bit.

This from last weekend, but pretty random.

Out for a lap on my MTB in goodish weather and every other bike seemed to be a gravel bike, which surprised me, as I don't normally see that many. Maybe it's a new trend here.

But most randomest was a guy on a penny farthing! This guy was making pretty good progress along the cycle path, BUT had to kind of hang off the back on the approach to any junctions where he might have to have stopped.

I followed him for a while and was so close to asking him to let me have a spin on it, but I'm thinking the learning curve is pretty steep and pretty painful.

Have any of you ever ridden one? I've never even seen one in the wild before.

Cheers. I've done some measuring this morning. A 135mm QR hub should have a 49mm chainline. The 5100/4100 crankset has a 52mm boost chainline. 3mm chainring spacers on order. Maybe that'll quieten it down a bit.
Mine are using a variety of older chainsets and the chainline looks good on them. They're fairly quiet in use.

This from last weekend, but pretty random.

Out for a lap on my MTB in goodish weather and every other bike seemed to be a gravel bike, which surprised me, as I don't normally see that many. Maybe it's a new trend here.
I see quite a few gravel bikes in the Pentland Hills. In the Cairngorms I see more gravel bikes than mountain bikes.

Just researching gravel bikes, only currently have a MTB, having ditched road riding 7+ year ago, swore I’d never get one, but my mates have them and you know that itch that you can’t help but scratch….🤣

Just researching gravel bikes, only currently have a MTB, having ditched road riding 7+ year ago, swore I’d never get one, but my mates have them and you know that itch that you can’t help but scratch….🤣
I was in the same position, I've a fleet of bikes and didn't need to get another sort. But I persuaded myself that a gravel bike that took luggage would be an ideal adventhre tourer. 2 friends have them. Since then I've used the gravel bike loads, the MTB not, and I'm having a great time. If your mates are on gravel bike s, get one too, you'll use it plenty.

I was in the same position, I've a fleet of bikes and didn't need to get another sort. But I persuaded myself that a gravel bike that took luggage would be an ideal adventhre tourer. 2 friends have them. Since then I've used the gravel bike loads, the MTB not, and I'm having a great time. If your mates are on gravel bike s, get one too, you'll use it plenty.
It does make sense to get one, thanks Steve

I'm keeping an eye out for a decent 2nd hand drop bar gravel bike locally, as I'm pretty sure I'd use one a fair amount.
Good luck. I did similar but they are thin on the ground. People who buy the decent ones tend to use and keep them, and they have not been around for too long in the spec that we all want (hydro discs, 1 x, etc) so after a fairly fruitless search I landed on a Planet X special offer. About 25% off RRP made it a very good deal. They do similar fairly often, generally in short period limited stock deals, limited sizes. If you take an XL, your luck is in. I'm not, I'm a S or at best M, they are less common (S) or very heavily picked over (M). I'm not sorry though, because to build up the bike I wanted from a stray 90s MTB frame would have been nearly £1000 in big ticket parts alone. I stopped counting after that. For less than twice that they had my size, Ti frame, carbon forks, all the toys, brand new out of the box, guaranteed and working.

I was close to pulling the trigger on one of the Planet-X ones recently, but I'm in no rush so expecting I'll see a Boardman ADV or similar locally. I usually ride a M or sometimes an L with road bikes so sadly tend not to get the really good offers.

Hydro brakes are the main thing I want and the reason the Roadrat is still on flat bars as I don't currently have an road bike hydro brakes and shifters in the spares bin.

I'd love a gravel bike. Lots of good gravel roads around my parts. I even live up one.

My poor man's gravel bike is a 1980ish Claud Butler touring bike with 42mm tyres. It's a comfy ride and the geometry seems ok but disc brakes and a little less weight would be great.

advertisement

Back