advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

First commute today on the bike rather than walking. I have been out in the daytime over the last month, but do not enjoy riding in frost or even a little above because I get that cold headache from the forehead that can takes ages to pass. I used to commute come wet or shine frost of heat, but these days not.

As I get older pains in the head seem less bearable.

Of course the old Carlton is still as lovely as ever, and as it has not done much work since last August, when I really serviced it ready for a weekend cycling, so it is smooth and quiet. That weekend proved to be more about walking to the pub as it went!

I am looking forward to my first proper haircut since September when the barbers re-open in April. Hacking away with kitchen scissors is no pleasure at all!

Best wishes from George

I did about 30 miles yesterday morning. Started out at -4C and was up to about 2C by the time I got home. A bit chilly, but I love early Sunday mornings for the lack of traffic. Very little fauna to see except for one massive wild turkey - one of the biggest I've ever seen. The forecast is great, so hopefully more cycling during the week, and not so cold. First time trial of the season is a week on Wednesday - hoping for dry weather for that.

I did my first 2 real-ish rides of the season this weekend: a 40 mile, mostly dirt road ride on my gravel bike, and a 45 mile road ride. It was sunny, not too windy (it can get windy in spring here in the northern rockies), and unseasonably warm with highs in the upper 60's.

Just got back from an(other) MTB ride. Conditions are now wunderbar, a bit choppy in parts but firm, fast and grippy. The foliage hasn't gone mad yet and it's too cold for bugs... perfect!

Wondering if I made a mistake buying the gravel bike. Off-road is so much more fun and so much less stressful/conflicty.

Managed my first outdoor ride as well this weekend. Was a fairly gentle one at 26miles but the 1500ft climbing was not quite what I had in mind. Bloody Chilterns, not high but lots of ups and downs, ah well, better route planning required. Have another ride with friends on Wed this week (took the day off) around South London starting in Barnes.

51111935651_2ee51d3b9b_z.jpg

Managed my first outdoor ride as well this weekend. Was a fairly gentle one at 26miles but the 1500ft climbing was not quite what I had in mind. Bloody Chilterns, not high but lots of ups and downs, ah well, better route planning required. Have another ride with friends on Wed this week (took the day off) around South London starting in Barnes.

51111935651_2ee51d3b9b_z.jpg
That's a good looking bike. Is it titanium?

Got out on Saturday rode across the Snake, lovely and sunny in Sheffield, it was white out with sleet and hail on top of the snake. Not a fun 21 miles back home, soaking wet in sub zero conditions and wind for the first ten miles. Suffice to say, not my most comfortable 40 odd miles on the bike. Probably should have worn a waterproof and winter gloves...

Rode our first ride yesterday using real time Strava Segments uploaded to the Garmin Edge - quite fun and really motivates you to push! - Interestingly Strava knows your times from prior rides on all the segments it has listed so you can compare backwards once home, but the real time timing and comparison to your PR during your ride add a another level.

Yup, it is a Reilly Cycleworks Gradient gravel bike, a 50th birthday present to myself with Ultegra Di2 groupset. It is way more bike than I could ever really justify really but it is gorgeous and a real go anywhere bike. I have some 650b wheels with chunky tyres for the winter mud as well.

I've got a Gradient too, it's just great. It does everything well, with an armchair ride. I'm going out now for 60 round Gisburn and Clitheroe, looks like a good day for it!
A club colleague has had one on order for 6 months though. Apparently the frame is made but Reilly can't get finishing parts, there is a global shortage of Shimano.

It really does need to warm up, I am not greedy but 10 degrees plus isn’t too unreasonable an ask. I had my biggest mileage week in a long time last (220 miles) but the low temps & strong winds really made me question why I do it.

I find it really demotivating when riding solo; managed a group ride Sat/Sun and that was far more agreeable.

Chain gang tonight with some strong riders & hoping I can cling on.

That's a lovely thing. I just looked up the price though, I wouldn't be able to let it out of my sight without either an armed guard or an Arcturian Vulpomegadog slavering nearby.

I never leave it anywhere for that reason. The good thing is that it is only the informed that recognise it for what it is. To most uninitiated it is just a simple metal bike, the modern fancy road carbon bikes look way more tempting.

It really does need to warm up, I am not greedy but 10 degrees plus isn’t too unreasonable an ask. I had my biggest mileage week in a long time last (220 miles) but the low temps & strong winds really made me question why I do it.

I find it really demotivating when riding solo; managed a group ride Sat/Sun and that was far more agreeable.

Chain gang tonight with some strong riders & hoping I can cling on.

Looks like tomorrows ride will be over 10 deg so I have changed my plan and am going to cycle down to Barnes to meet my friends rather than getting the train hopefully can find some tracks and cycle paths rather than the main roads. They are purely recreational cyclists so no fast pacing. I will probably get the train back as we are finishing around 6pm and I don't fancy riding through London at that time.

I never leave it anywhere for that reason. The good thing is that it is only the informed that recognise it for what it is. To most uninitiated it is just a simple metal bike, the modern fancy road carbon bikes look way more tempting.
I don't think the general public can tell a carbon bike from anything else. I'll be honest, I know what I'm looking at and even I have to check the welds. Oh there are none. The general public don't have a clue about bikes. A typical comment was one from a chap at work back in the 90s when MTBs were taking off as an interest. "Cycled to work Steve? Nice. Have you got a mountain bike then, or one of those old fashioned ones with curly handlebars?" Most people these days have similar levels of observation.

The snag is that unless the bike looks like hell, it's desirable. I bet I could get £30 for that off Dodgy John. It's gone.

advertisement

Back