advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

I dragged another one of my long unused bikes out of the back of the garage - this one definitely hasn't been used in at least a decade as I don't have any Garmin traces from riding it and I've been using Garmin wrist and bike computers for at least that long now. This is the silliest of my mountain bikes - a Specialized Enduro SX from 2003 I think. It was Specializeds Supercross race frame back in the day but there are few survivors because they also got used for other stuff, like being a mini downhill bike, which meant they were often used with longer forks they were designed for and snapped. I rebuilt it in maybe 2010 to have Marzocchi Bomber 55r forks with 160mm of travel, a Fox coil shock with some pro-pedal (although not much as its still a little bouncy) and a mix of XT and Deore - and it's still on an old-school Octalink BB and chainset - with a 2x9 drivetrain with 22:32 on the front and an 11-32 on the back. It weighs a ton - 36lbs - so it's all of 8lbs heavier than my next heaviest mountain bike (an S-Works Enduro of similar vintage) so it ain't quick going uphill!

Despite sitting for that long all it needed was air in the tyres and a bit of oil on the chain - although the dropper post that had been fitted was seized so I swapped it out for a normal post. The brakes and indexing etc. all worked fine with no need for adjustments at all, which is quite impressive. Despite being heavy it rolls quite well and even with my currently very limited skill level it was noticeable fast on the more technical downhill bits. In fact I PB'd 3 of those despite feeling like I was taking it easy.

Not a clue when I'm going to do with it. I've got a spare 1x11 set-up with an 11-51 cassette so might stick that on along with maybe a 34 up front (and switch to one of the much lighter spare HTII chainsets I've got spare) and see what it's like. I can't see me riding it a lot but it is fun.

170980993.jZT1VzDy.sx01.jpg
Why change? It all works, so I'd just keep it for what it is and ride it.

Why change? It all works, so I'd just keep it for what it is and ride it.

That is an option i.e. treat it like a classic car and just take it out for an occasional spin. Having said that, at it's current weight etc. it really won't get ridden a lot so given I wouldn't have to buy anything to rebuild it to more of a trail type spec and weight then it is tempting to do that.

Hi Guys

I have just killed my Lezyne 600XL front light, not sure how, it just won't charge any more. It dates back to 2014 so I am not that bothered as it was only £35 then I think.

So what to replace it with, quite like the idea of the smart lights where you can set the rear with the front light controls and the brake light capable rear lights.

I do like a bright front light and want a daytime flash mode as well.

Any suggestions up to £100 or so.

Cateye Volt 800 if you want USB recharging, but it doesnt sync with a backlight or anything. Batteries can be replaced and the mount is very good and interchangeable with other cateye models.

I trashed my mech hanger tonight on a bumpy descent. I bent it a month ago, seemed OK. Wrong. Bunnyhopping the thing down some rock steps at speed tonight it broke off. Time to buy a replacement and a spare. They are sacrificial for a reason. It's not malleable aluminium, it turns out.

Cateye Volt 800 if you want USB recharging, but it doesnt sync with a backlight or anything. Batteries can be replaced and the mount is very good and interchangeable with other cateye models.

Thanks, I ended up blowing the budget and getting Exposure lights, UK made and a great reputation and not smart lights but they arrived today and are the nuts. Can't wait to use them.

Thanks, I ended up blowing the budget and getting Exposure lights, UK made and a great reputation and not smart lights but they arrived today and are the nuts. Can't wait to use them.

It's funny that sometimes we buy things for situations we'd rather not be in and then look forward to using them for the first time. "I can't wait for the next downpour so I can check out my new cycling waterproofs". "I can't wait for the long summer nights to end so I can try out my new lights". "These overshoes will be the business when I'm out on a winter ride and it's -10C". Boys and our toys.

Haha, yes, great lights, I am aware of them. Probably up there with the best battery lights. I have gone the hub dynamo route with a SON 28 and Schmidt Edelux, another budget blower ;-) enjoy your night riding

Direct Line has confirmed driver liability for my recent bump and will be in touch shortly with compensation details. As long as their offer isn't a crazy low-ball insult, I'll be happy to draw a line under the affair and move on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stuck in the past: it's just that the financial fallout has still to be resolved.

I've now received an offer from Direct Line to cover the personal injury aspect of my claim against their policy holder - costs for damage to my property (bike, helmet and sunglasses) has yet to be processed. Anyway, as for the offer that has come through, that's come in at £1,700 - a fair bit more than I'd been expecting! Whether I accept or push for a second offer remains to be seen. But either way, it's still not enough to buy me a pair of those grande cajones I'd need to ride the Charge Spoon saddle Tony bought a few weeks ago :)

03F09E4C_7204_4C78_A405_075B41AB6103_D9CF5448_DA0C_4D7A_865C_10602456C64F.jpeg

I've now received an offer from Direct Line to cover the personal injury aspect of my claim against their policy holder - costs for damage to my property (bike, helmet and sunglasses) has yet to be processed. Anyway, as for the offer that has come through, that's come in at £1,700 - a fair bit more than I'd been expecting! Whether I accept or push for a second offer remains to be seen. But either way, it's still not enough to buy me a pair of those grande cajones I'd need to ride the Charge Spoon saddle Tony bought a few weeks ago :)

03F09E4C_7204_4C78_A405_075B41AB6103_D9CF5448_DA0C_4D7A_865C_10602456C64F.jpeg
I think that is pretty fair assuming you have no lasting damage

I think that is pretty fair assuming you have no lasting damage

I think you're probably right. I had no idea what I would have been offered as this is the first time I've ever submitted a claim in this manner, but I've been 100% straight with Direct Line, detaining everything that happened without exaggeration or rhetoric and I'm guessing they've been straight with me. The only lasting damage to my body is that my elbows and my right big toe are still a wee bit tender, but for all intents and purposes, everything's functional and in full working order - I'm not ready for the scrapheap just yet!

It was an almighty hit and somehow I've gotten away with very minor injuries all things considered, so I'll see what the full offer is and take it from there. Deal, or no deal, as Noel Edmonds used to say...

I think you're probably right. I had no idea what I would have been offered as this is the first time I've ever submitted a claim in this manner, but I've been 100% straight with Direct Line, detaining everything that happened without exaggeration or rhetoric and I'm guessing they've been straight with me. The only lasting damage to my body is that my elbows and my right big toe are still a wee bit tender, but for all intents and purposes, everything's functional and in full working order - I'm not ready for the scrapheap just yet!

It was an almighty hit and somehow I've gotten away with very minor injuries all things considered, so I'll see what the full offer is and take it from there. Deal, or no deal, as Noel Edmonds used to say...
I think I received around £2k for whiplash a few years ago & that took a long time to clear up.

Derek, glad you've got some financial compensation, and hope you continue to get better. The older we get the longer it takes and the more it seems to hurt when I hit the ground, but any bike crash that doesn't require a hospital stay is a fortunate outcome.

I think the term is ‘furious riding’. After a day at work, I really went for it on the little descent on the way home.

And out of 2440 riders, I’m 18th fastest!
Which is nice.

However, if I hadn’t been carrying my rucksack (at least 10lb) and had a better run up to the start, I think I could break into the top ten.

44.5 mph -yeesh - I back off at 35 these days. Lycra isn't great at preventing road rash. Still I know others who go much faster - to them I can only say "there are old cyclists and there are bold cyclists, but there are few old, bold cyclists".

Congrats on the strava segment.

44.5 mph -yeesh - I back off at 35 these days. Lycra isn't great at preventing road rash. Still I know others who go much faster - to them I can only say "there are old cyclists and there are bold cyclists, but there are few old, bold cyclists".

Congrats on the strava segment.

Thank you.

I adore speed. I've been much faster off road down Table Mountain... still wanted to go faster. I need a larger chain ring once my legs are in better shape!

advertisement

Back