advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Direct Line has confirmed driver liability for my recent bump and will be in touch shortly with compensation details. As long as their offer isn't a crazy low-ball insult, I'll be happy to draw a line under the affair and move on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stuck in the past: it's just that the financial fallout has still to be resolved.

I've been finding the wheel-on TACX trainer a bit noisy, it's not too bad if you're climbing at lower speeds but if you're on the flat or god forbid downhill then it can get quite loud and annoying, so seeing as Zwift doesn't seem like a fad and I'm enjoying it I've shelled out on a bit of an upgrade in a Wahoo Kickr Core.

Bonus being that the sale of the TACX and some bits from the spares box I'm never likely to use have made it pretty much cost neutral, which is how I do the Hi-Fi upgrades as well!

Should have it set up tonight, looking forward to giving it a go.

Been back on the bike for the first time in a while the last week or so. Lots of fun in some lovely weather, a couple of nice 2.5 hr rides for the last two Sunday mornings and have come up with a 25k with 260m climb midweek 1hr ish training route. Mostly climbing all the way out and some lovely steady long downhills for the return. I will use it as a routine route to build my fitness back and there are quite a few variations to mix it up as well.

Also following a direction from the wife we are going to get a training bike for us both to use and mu daughter may use it as well. I was going to go the Wahoo Kickr route but it looked complicated messing around with different bikes and cassettes so a dedicated gym bike seems the best solution. I am looking forward to trying Zwift and getting a lot more miles in.

34 miles today, on the roads from home to Rattlesden, Felsham, Lavenham, Monks Eleigh, Bildeston and home. As usual, no problems with traffic at all, some were even too courteous. Bloody windy though. Outward leg heading west, so into the wind, return leg... headwind most of the time. Grrrr.

After assembling a large flat pack wardrobe on the garage floor yesterday (to store my cycling gear) and then this ride, my legs are really suffering.

It was foggy this morning so I took off my sunglasses as they were fogging somewhat. I then received a bumblebee in the eye - thankfully going under 20mph and no stinging involved. However it hurt somewhat and made my eye water profusely. Cyclists - wear eye protection 1 If I'd been heading downhill at 35mph+ it could have been very uinpleasant.

It was foggy this morning so I took off my sunglasses as they were fogging somewhat. I then received a bumblebee in the eye - thankfully going under 20mph and no stinging involved. However it hurt somewhat and made my eye water profusely. Cyclists - wear eye protection 1 If I'd been heading downhill at 35mph+ it could have been very uinpleasant.

Clear safety glasses are a good cheap alternative for rides like that.

I never bother with eyewear, really struggle with ‘fogging’ as I live in a hill area.

I do want to try & find a suitable pair as I have had a few near misses with flying objects.

Funnily enough, I set off this morning and at about ½ mile I realised I’d forgotten my cycling glasses. Turned back and grabbed them, as I just know that on a longer ride I’d definitely suffer a smack in the eye.

My clobber cupboard. Keeping my cycling gear in the garage will free up loads of space in the house, thus scoring smarty points with the ex-girlfriend.

Clear safety glasses are a good cheap alternative for rides like that.

Not in fog - the it was like cycling in fine rain - there's really no good solution. To prevent glasses from fogging wash them with dilute dishwashing liquid (or baby shampoo) and do not rinse - let them dry with soap film on the lenses.

34 miles today, on the roads from home to Rattlesden, Felsham, Lavenham, Monks Eleigh, Bildeston and home. As usual, no problems with traffic at all, some were even too courteous. Bloody windy though. Outward leg heading west, so into the wind, return leg... headwind most of the time. Grrrr.

After assembling a large flat pack wardrobe on the garage floor yesterday (to store my cycling gear) and then this ride, my legs are really suffering.

I did a 30 this morning as well, my longest for a year or so. Felt good and enjoyed it but the old bottom is complaining now.

Not in fog - the it was like cycling in fine rain - there's really no good solution. To prevent glasses from fogging wash them with dilute dishwashing liquid (or baby shampoo) and do not rinse - let them dry with soap film on the lenses.
That’s a tricky one, RainX was marketed as a windscreen water repellent and might work on glasses.
I have switched back to contact lenses instead of glasses and that has helped.

Did you stop to see how the bee was ? Bet he was saying bloody cyclist's

On the theme of bees, I've rescued three bees this year with a small blob of jam or a small piece of apple; I presume the inherent moistness of an apple contains enough sugar to get a bee flying again. Anyway, it just so happens I took the bold decision to pet one of the bees on the furry bit on its back while it was still on the ground having a drink, but before it had soaked-up enough fuel to fly away or fight off my finger of love (keep your thoughts clean!). It was cool and the bee didn't seem to mind. Who knows, maybe next time I'll see if I can get a selfie :)

Bumble bees aren't aggressive. I did my bit the other day, I captured a Peacock butterfly in the middle of the factory. Had a substantial walk to get it outside. Normally insects get killed in the fly zappers.

I dragged another one of my long unused bikes out of the back of the garage - this one definitely hasn't been used in at least a decade as I don't have any Garmin traces from riding it and I've been using Garmin wrist and bike computers for at least that long now. This is the silliest of my mountain bikes - a Specialized Enduro SX from 2003 I think. It was Specializeds Supercross race frame back in the day but there are few survivors because they also got used for other stuff, like being a mini downhill bike, which meant they were often used with longer forks they were designed for and snapped. I rebuilt it in maybe 2010 to have Marzocchi Bomber 55r forks with 160mm of travel, a Fox coil shock with some pro-pedal (although not much as its still a little bouncy) and a mix of XT and Deore - and it's still on an old-school Octalink BB and chainset - with a 2x9 drivetrain with 22:32 on the front and an 11-32 on the back. It weighs a ton - 36lbs - so it's all of 8lbs heavier than my next heaviest mountain bike (an S-Works Enduro of similar vintage) so it ain't quick going uphill!

Despite sitting for that long all it needed was air in the tyres and a bit of oil on the chain - although the dropper post that had been fitted was seized so I swapped it out for a normal post. The brakes and indexing etc. all worked fine with no need for adjustments at all, which is quite impressive. Despite being heavy it rolls quite well and even with my currently very limited skill level it was noticeable fast on the more technical downhill bits. In fact I PB'd 3 of those despite feeling like I was taking it easy.

Not a clue when I'm going to do with it. I've got a spare 1x11 set-up with an 11-51 cassette so might stick that on along with maybe a 34 up front (and switch to one of the much lighter spare HTII chainsets I've got spare) and see what it's like. I can't see me riding it a lot but it is fun.

170980993.jZT1VzDy.sx01.jpg

My clobber cupboard. Keeping my cycling gear in the garage will free up loads of space in the house, thus scoring smarty points with the ex-girlfriend.

I've got one of the cheap Ikea fabric wardrobes in the garage to stop most of my riding gear in.

On the subject of garages, hears a glimpse of the bicycle end of the chaos which is mine at the moment. That's not quite all of the bikes (there are 2 at the other side of the garage and 2 in my motorhome at the moment) but it's most of them.

170981068.1v6lepKO.sx02.jpg

My garage is a disaster at the moment as it's still got a load of stuff from our old London house that we haven't decided what to do with yet, plus there are 5 motorbikes in there as well - and a load of stuff we're storing for people temporarily! It can be a struggle just to get the bikes out at times!

I've got one of the cheap Ikea fabric wardrobes in the garage to stop most of my riding gear in.

On the subject of garages, hears a glimpse of the bicycle end of the chaos which is mine at the moment. That's not quite all of the bikes (there are 2 at the other side of the garage and 2 in my motorhome at the moment) but it's most of them.

170981068.1v6lepKO.sx02.jpg

My garage is a disaster at the moment as it's still got a load of stuff from our old London house that we haven't decided what to do with yet, plus there are 5 motorbikes in there as well - and a load of stuff we're storing for people temporarily! It can be a struggle just to get the bikes out at times!

I think I prefer the simple life... :eek:

advertisement

Back