advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Horse shit not as bad as dog but it is not very pleasant & much harder to avoid. Flies tend to settle on it & then fly into your face as you ride near.

It is against the law for horse owners to leave their animal's shit on the public highway. Not sure if this applies to bridleways, although it's largely irrelevant since nobody does anything about it on the roads.

I don't really mind horseshite, it's much easier to spot than dogshit and much less offensive. It tends not to get hung from branches in plastic bags as well!

Can't say I'm happy about the amount of erosion that horses cause on the trails, though. Especially those businesses that charge for groups treks - they should have to pay for maintenance of the tracks!

It is against the law for horse owners to leave their animal's shit on the public highway. Not sure if this applies to bridleways, although it's largely irrelevant since nobody does anything about it on the roads.

I'm not sure how the law in Scotland differs but there are a lot of horses round here and it's quite common to see piles of horse shit on the roads and paths.

I don't really mind horseshite, it's much easier to spot than dogshit and much less offensive. It tends not to get hung from branches in plastic bags as well!

It's not too bad when it's dry but when it's rained you can end up with a thin film of horse shit across the paths that's impossible to avoid.

Can't say I'm happy about the amount of erosion that horses cause on the trails, though. Especially those businesses that charge for groups treks - they should have to pay for maintenance of the tracks!

I was surprised by just how much damage a few horses can do to a muddy trail. Bikes aren't great either but horses do see to be a lot worse.

I'll stand corrected but there doesn't appear to be a Law in England and Wales that states that riders have to clean up after horses. Seen quite a bit of horse poo on central London cycle lanes recently. I can only presume that it's left by Police horses or one of the mounted regiments that have barracks in town.

A bloke I used to work with, while he was an RAF apprentice, was in the detail following Churchill's funeral cortege, shovelling horse poo off the road. His career later improved.

Looks like there aren't any laws in Scotland regarding horse poo, however this is the guidance in Scotland from the The British Horse Society:

If your horse dungs on a multi-use path, especially on a path used by cyclists, wheelchairs or prams, it is courteous and responsible to:
• position your horse at the side of the path if you can before it starts, or
• dismount and kick it to the side. Please only kick the dung though, and not the path surface too.

I've never seen a horse owner follow that advice though.

Today i put some fancy carbon wheels and brake discs on my gravel bike, in the process saving around 800g over the stock items. Astonishing weight saving. Should transform the feel of the bike.

What, they lie in wait and eat them? Blimey, better watch out for that in future. Don't want my bike eating.
Not sure there is a verb to predate as in what predators do which actually is to prey upon. Suspect Chris Packham invented it.

Not sure there is a verb to predate as in what predators do which actually is to prey upon. Suspect Chris Packham invented it.
Erm... jokes don't have to use real words. An awful lot make up words or deliberately use the wrong word for comic effect. That's sort of the point.

The word malapropism springs to mind... coiling, as is its want, around the horsey-bottom cud presently being here chewed.

Today i put some fancy carbon wheels and brake discs on my gravel bike, in the process saving around 800g over the stock items. Astonishing weight saving. Should transform the feel of the bike.

I have two sets for mine, mavic open Pro rims built on cx rays and Glory Hubs (super light Taiwan high end oem), and another set with hopes, wtb rims and plain spokes, the difference ain't subtle.

May have to change to DT Swiss. Mavivs are a PITA. Sturdy and light but the free hub death scream every 1,000 miles or so is boring. Then you have to change the free hub because the fat washer inside goes wobbly leading to cassette movement. Oh and the bearings don't last long either.

advertisement

Back