advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Cycled today for the first time since my bump last Friday. Warp drive is currently offline, but I managed 25 miles at impulse speed... all the while the Klingons kept their distance!

Well that's one less bike in the garage as I've sold another one. This wasn't one of mine though - it was a little 24" wheeled Ridgeback mountain bike that was my daughters many years ago. It's been sitting in a corner of the garage unused for many years (maybe as many as 15!) but was in good condition as my daughter barely used it, and everything including the 21-speed drivetrain was working fine. Looks like it's gone to a good home as well and I'm sure the young lad it's going to will enjoy it.

The hole it's left in the garage is already sort of filled though, as I've started building up a bike from spares as I've a very light hardtail mountain bike frame and a set of SID race forks that were living in a corner of the garage. When last built it was a full XTR build with light American Classic wheels and was something like 20lbs. It probably won't end up quite as light as that this time as it's probably only going to have Deore/X317 wheels and a probably a 3x9 drivetrain with whatever I've got lying around (mostly the spares left over from converting some of the other bikes to a 1x drivetrain). At the moment I think I've got everything I need except I haven't managed to locate a spare 27.2 seatpost yet (although I'll be amazed if there isn't one in the garage somewhere).

The Frame is badged as a Dave Hinde M3 although it's identical to a Dolan badged frame I had previously. If I recall correctly I think it was a frame from an XC race team, rather than one that was sold generally.

I'll probably try and sell it once it's built up - not that it'll make much cash but it'll help get rid of some of the massive pile of drivetrain bits that are now spare as well as reducing the number of wheels I've got lying around.

Tasty. Better brakes than on some of my old cars.
Haha I've got an old '71 vespa 150 back home that originally had about 5hp.

It became my go-fast project for a couple of years. I added a polini 180 cylinder, mikuni carb off a Suzuki, massively cut the crank and ported the cases, custom expansion chamber etc, and it still had the tiny original drum brakes which were underpowered to start with.

I had to weld the clutch cage shut because it had a habit of grenading when the revs got up. I had a lot of fun on it but kind of wish it was slow again now. I might find an original motor for it.

Hi, Yes but was put off by a few folks saying that it wasn't the easiest of processes.
If you don't want to diy then a LB S will fit the conversion, they do it all the time and will know exactly what's involved. It will cost an hour's Labour tops and give you a lasting repair for less than the price of a wheel.

People knock Shimano but their gear works and has few obvious design flaws.

Haha I've got an old '71 vespa 150 back home that originally had about 5hp.

It became my go-fast project for a couple of years. I added a polini 180 cylinder, mikuni carb off a Suzuki, massively cut the crank and ported the cases, custom expansion chamber etc, and it still had the tiny original drum brakes which were underpowered to start with.

I had to weld the clutch cage shut because it had a habit of grenading when the revs got up. I had a lot of fun on it but kind of wish it was slow again now. I might find an original motor for it.
A go fast project based on a Vespa 150?
I'm reminded of the guy stopping his car in the middle of nowhere and asking a local chap for directions to Dublin. "Dublin? Ah sure now, well if I was you I wouldn't be starting from here!"

Well some start with 50cc mopeds. It ended up a very quick and angry wasp in the city. I have a Suzuki T500 project but I want to grow old one day so it will get a much milder treatment.

I don't know why people bag shimano, it's great. I always thought 105/deore was the sweet spot but I've heard that even the lowest groupsets work great these days.

People knock Shimano but their gear works and has few obvious design flaws.
Well, I'll start with one. The bolt that goes through the Ultegra (and 105 I think) disc brake caliper to secure the pads and spring is made of cheese. Shimano call it the pad axle (Y8J798060). I've just had a real struggle to remove one (I didn't put it in!) on my Reilly. Do not overtighten! There's the little spring clip to keep it there. This one https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/shimano-deore-xt-brm785-pad-axle-snap-ring-y8jz98010/ fits and has a hex head. Actually maybe it's not a design flaw, more using a cheap component.
Apart from that I agree, it's incredible how well even the dirtiest, most worn components keep working. This is on other people's bikes of course, mine are always shiny and perfect :)

Apart from that I agree, it's incredible how well even the dirtiest, most worn components keep working. This is on other people's bikes of course, mine are always shiny and perfect :)

There was a thread on the Singletrack world forum on this recently and the standout that a lot of people mentioned are the M520 pedals. I've got those on nearly all my mountain bikes - some of them 15 years old and have had no maintenance other than a (very) occasional squirt of WD40 and they just keep working.

I think the same can be said about the SPD-SL road pedals. I have done 50,000 km with my Ultegra road pedals with barely any maintenance and they are still working fine.

There was a thread on the Singletrack world forum on this recently and the standout that a lot of people mentioned are the M520 pedals. I've got those on nearly all my mountain bikes - some of them 15 years old and have had no maintenance other than a (very) occasional squirt of WD40 and they just keep working.
Yes, I have a couple of sets of those, they are bulletproof. Immersed in mud and water, even the bearings are still sound. Not expensive either.

I recently serviced an ancient pair of m520s, they'd done a couple of winter commutes back in the day and were a bit gritty.

They're a doddle to service and feel like new, shame they look like they've been at the bottom of a canal for ten years.

Another brilliant pair of pedals I have are the Wellgo I have on the commuter. They are just conventional pedals with space for clips and have been on it for 25 years after the crappy plastic originals lasted 3 weeks. They have a threaded grease cap over the bearings. It's protected by the design, so it doesn't get chewed by rocks, and every so often you unscrew it, fill it with clean grease, and screw it back on. It forces the fresh grease down the axle, through the bearings and any dirty grease is forced out at the crank end. It's a brilliantly simple bit of old school design that has been around since the days of steam. I used to have a car with a grease cap on the water pump. It was old fashioned but it didn't wear out. Nor have my pedals.

Well some start with 50cc mopeds. It ended up a very quick and angry wasp in the city. I have a Suzuki T500 project but I want to grow old one day so it will get a much milder treatment.
I bet it was a laugh to scoot around town! I have a mate who restored a Suzuki GT 380, which is in the same mould as your T500. He prefers building to riding these days though, he sold it to a dealer who had a collector lined up for it. It fetched more than a modern 350, but that's collectors for you.

Unlike the Cinelli mention above (which is a nice looking bike) that BLB thing is absolutely horrible and screams "fixie fashion victim" to me as well! It'd be horrible to ride in town as well - the massive drop to the bars would give me a neck ache.
I suspect that you are not their target audience. It's not a bike for riding, after all. It's all about the looks.

First off road ride on the spiffy carbon wheels. Bike is transformed. Very happy with the results.

DfShBBc0DcnCnONKBwqm4nChX6akaZtqK7-qcD7isKM-2048x1536.jpg

gMSj-DyxfJJ2MRb5MFaFHO3FqMSiDnIhPi-tPNsZwUw-1536x2048.jpg

The last couple of days have made me almost want to quite cycling. Yesterday I found that the rear wheel on my best bike was trashed, much swapping of wheels before ride today only to have 3 punctures resulting in a pick up at 99.86 kms.

Ended up spending just over £600 on a new wheel set.

Was supposed to be having a few beers this afternoon but not in the mood now.

The last couple of days have made me almost want to quite cycling. Yesterday I found that the rear wheel on my best bike was trashed, much swapping of wheels before ride today only to have 3 punctures resulting in a pick up at 99.86 kms.

Ended up spending just over £600 on a new wheel set.

Was supposed to be having a few beers this afternoon but not in the mood now.

Tough going, man - may your mood rise with the sun in the morn...

I put my spare parts bike together earlier. It was supposed to be 1x10 (and possibly later 2x10) but while I know there is a 11-34 10-speed cassette somewhere in the garage I couldn't find it so did a 1x9 build instead, still with an 11-34 and with a 32t up front. It's got some nice bits on it including some carbon (bars, seatpost and stem) a Ti railed saddle (although not a particularly light one) and some Continental Supersonic tyres (cast offs from my Epic as it's got a new set on). Brakes are Deore levers and XT calipers and the drivetrain is XT except for an SLX rear mech. The wheels are the weak link from a weight perspective, just being Deore hubs. Overall it's quite light though, at 23lbs.

On it's shakedown ride the only issue was the carbon seatpost slipping (an issue I've had before with 27.2 posts on mountain bikes) and it dropped quite a lot and no amount of tightening would hold it in place. Despite that the bike is a pretty fast climber and in fact I did the initial road climb into the Pentlands in my best time on a mountain bike, plus PR'd one of the off-road segments. It's quite fun to ride in a very old-school XC way, with its narrow flat bars.

170884692.J9KE2Jt6.dh01.jpg

I just placed an order for this Genesis Day One 10 single-speed - it's the same as the last one except it's the current spec. The only potential snag is it's a small and the one I have just now (hah!) is a medium. I'm 5'7 so I'm at a crossover height and so it should be fine with some seat post adjustment... I hope!

1556096966.jpeg

I'll phone the insurance company tomorrow to see if they've confirmed driver liability yet for I've got bills to pay, as you can see from the pic above.

advertisement

Back