advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Sad news indeed. I never owned a Mercian but had some bikes resprayed by them back in the 80's. They always did a sterling paint job.

I've more or less given up saying hello to roadies when out and about. Seems that the racier the outfit the less friendly they are.

What's the collective noun for a group of roadies? I would suggest a 'misery' of roadies. :D

I do almost always nod or do a small wave, sometimes I miss someone but it nothing personal. As ever, if you are smiling when cycling then you are doing wrong;)

Had an interesting chat with a chap the other day, I overtook him, said hello & then 10 minutes later he overtook me. He was a big bloke, I sat on his wheel for a little, noticed my watts had gone up a bit, he was on a very subtle e-bike, all in the rear hub. A really nice guy, had started cycling to lose some weight but had a heart murmur so watched his BPM.

As ever, if you are smiling when cycling then you are doing wrong;)

Funnily enough, I have noticed it's not that easy to smile when on a drop bar bike. Much easier on an MTB where you don't have tip your head as far back (to see where you're going).

On the subject of overtaking I have had the exact same thing happen in the same place twice....
I'm at my usual cruising speed and come up behind a small 'misery'. I decide to ovetake (as non-aggressively as possible). Just after doing so there is a big dip in in the road and fast roadie comes past me on the descent and goes up the other side reasonably quickly. The road levels out and then there's a road junction. Fast roadie slows down a few hundred yards before the junction, veers into the middle of the road and starts looking round for the remainder of the misery. As I maintain my constant effort I have to undertake him - because he's blocking the usual overtaking line :rolleyes:

Why do they do that? Doesn't he find it embarrassing that he's blatantly sprinted past somebody crusing along and then had to stop to wait for his mates? Especially as the 2nd time the guy was about half my age and he was on a bike that's probably 10% more efficient than my pea gravel bike!

Funnily enough, I have noticed it's not that easy to smile when on a drop bar bike. Much easier on an MTB where you don't have tip your head as far back (to see where you're going).
I’m trying to get fitter ahead of a Mallorca trip, more of a grimace at the moment.

A pal of mine did the Mallorca 312 at the end of April. He's done the Fred Perry the preceding 3 years, but got tired of the weather.

Needless to say - I have no intention of a day out riding with him!!

A pal of mine did the Mallorca 312 at the end of April. He's done the Fred Perry the preceding 3 years, but got tired of the weather.

Needless to say - I have no intention of a day out riding with him!!
A few in the cycling club have done the 312 & Fred Witton; the latter has never appealed, sketchy descents plus weather.

A friend of mine do the Trans Continental, makes the others look rather tame. He completed within the time limit, has done a lot of extreme events.

A few did Dirty Riever also, again, does not appeal.

Terrible for Kate and an indication of the attitude of far too many drivers. A small consolation is that the article talks about "hit by a 4x4 driver" not the far more common but ludicrous "hit by a car". I hope Kate makes a speedy recovery.
The WTOB is coming through here on Sunday, looking forward to seeing the race. I'd love to see Lizzie Deignan win but Kopecky and Weibes are pretty unbeatable at the moment.

Terrible for Kate and an indication of the attitude of far too many drivers. A small consolation is that the article talks about "hit by a 4x4 driver" not the far more common but ludicrous "hit by a car". I hope Kate makes a speedy recovery.
The WTOB is coming through here on Sunday, looking forward to seeing the race. I'd love to see Lizzie Deignan win but Kopecky and Weibes are pretty unbeatable at the moment.
The right wing media have stirred up the the confected hatred of cyclists. I’m utterly sick of it.

I was smiling cycling last night, especially on the downhill stretch after the lung busting chain ganging on the uphill out of town. Until that is I saw a few riders from the club gesturing to slow down. There'd been a touch of wheels at 70 kph in another group. One rider wasn't moving but was talking, he was the only medic there and despite concussion was able to talk through what to do. Ambulance took about 45 minutes and the paramedics were really great. No update but hoping for the best. Interestingly the lad who rang for the ambulance and arranged for the bikes to be picked up etc looked and sounded fine until he turned to one side showing that he had lost most of his kit, had serious road rash and needed stitches to a deep wound.
We didn't move the rider who was in the middle of the lane and I'm happy to report that the citizens of Kent slowed down offering assistance and goodwill.

I was smiling cycling last night, especially on the downhill stretch after the lung busting chain ganging on the uphill out of town. Until that is I saw a few riders from the club gesturing to slow down. There'd been a touch of wheels at 70 kph in another group. One rider wasn't moving but was talking, he was the only medic there and despite concussion was able to talk through what to do. Ambulance took about 45 minutes and the paramedics were really great. No update but hoping for the best. Interestingly the lad who rang for the ambulance and arranged for the bikes to be picked up etc looked and sounded fine until he turned to one side showing that he had lost most of his kit, had serious road rash and needed stitches to a deep wound.
We didn't move the rider who was in the middle of the lane and I'm happy to report that the citizens of Kent slowed down offering assistance and goodwill.
Ouch! Hope they are OK and bikes undamaged!

We had a plastic bottle thrown at us today from a car, just so sick of the attitude from idiot motorists. There were only 4 of us on wide straight road & barely any traffic.

advertisement

Back