advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Wiggle has finally stopped trading with a promise to be back soon as part of Mike Ashley enterprises. It'll become just another tired site selling the wares of companies that he's managed to trash.
Evans is to be rebranded Chain Reaction apparently. He’s controversial but he’s knows what he’s doing.

Evans is to be rebranded Chain Reaction apparently. He’s controversial but he’s knows what he’s doing.
Yes, whatever else you may think about him he can run a chain of sports shops. I buy a fair bit of sports clothing in Sports Direct, the stores are well placed, it's inexpensive, and the stuff is generally of decent quality even if the better quality stuff is generally absent or harder to find. I think it fits in well with his shops because SD was always light on cycling stuff. You could get the basics if you looked hard, but that was all.

I agree, exactly what I’d look at if I didn’t already have my Whyte Dorset, add mudguards and you’re sorted for a variety of use.

Worth pointing out that a lot of LBS aren’t very good & even the good ones can’t compete on price.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. With hydraulic disc brakes and electronic gears becoming ubiquitous, I was worried that finding a decent bike for less than £1500 was becoming impossible.
Not at all, mine wasn't much more than that and it has a titanium frame. If you are happy to have an ally frame I think the same bike comes in at £1200 or so. That said, I wouldn't be without hydraulic disc brakes these days except on a commuter or a light as you like pure road machine. Rim brakes are last century's technology on off road bikes. They don't work in the wet and mud, and they destroy rims. The main advantage with rim brakes is that they are easier to maintain and you can shove the bike in a shed for 5 years, take it out and the brakes will still work. Try that with a hydraulic braked bike, then try repairing it.

The main advantage with rim brakes is that they are easier to maintain and you can shove the bike in a shed for 5 years, take it out and the brakes will still work. Try that with a hydraulic braked bike, then try repairing it.
I've done that with hydro disk braked bikes quite a few times and rarely had an issue with the brakes when I wanted to use the bike again - especially with Shimano hydro's. They've been the most reliable of all the brands I've tried.

I've done that with hydro disk braked bikes quite a few times and rarely had an issue with the brakes when I wanted to use the bike again - especially with Shimano hydro's. They've been the most reliable of all the brands I've tried.
Lucky you. I've had Hope seals start leaking after disuse, dry stored, Avid likewise, and SRAM need bleeding after a short layoff.

Lucky you. I've had Hope seals start leaking after disuse, dry stored, Avid likewise, and SRAM need bleeding after a short layoff.
Hope I have had issues with - they're great when they're working but I've found them a lot less reliable than Shimano.

I used to use the Avid mechanicals back in the day and they were ok - don't think I've had any SRAM hydros yet either.

I've got Shimano brakes on some of my bikes that haven't been bled in a decade+ and are still working well. Not just the more expensive ones either - I've got Deore's on quite a few bikes and they've been great.

My hopes have only been bled once when i fitted them. Pads out, piston sides lubed with silicon oil on 00 paintbrush, bike only used half a dozen times a year, but run hard when it is, been through a few sets of pads. They're still razor sharp.

Jet washing does em no favours.

It was almost reassuring to see the men and women's race having difficulty ascending the Koppenberg on Sunday but it meant too many riders for no fault of their own lost contact with the front of the race. There are serious questions being asked as to whether it remains part of the course or gets retired again. I rode the sportive on Saturday through 7 hours of rain. Flanders was thoroughly drenched and anyone standing on the lower slopes of Oude Kwaremont would have sunk into the mud. The early long 2600m sectors of cobbles were properly bone shaking. Managed to get up quite a few of the cobbled bergs but grades over 15% defeated all but a few. A long flowing downhill section before the Paterburg left me in my biggest gear, so had to dismount as soon as I turned right. Changed into my smallest gear and had a friendly push from a local up the hill. The Flemish spelling of Descent is Decent and they were signposted accordingly. Most them were decent but the cobbled descents were alarming. All in all a wonderful but at times terrifying event.

Last edited:
It was almost reassuring to see the men and women's race having difficulty ascending the Koppenberg on Sunday but it meant too many riders for no fault of their own lost contact with the front of the race. There are serious questions being asked as to whether it remains part of the course or gets retired again. I rode the sportive on Saturday through 7 hours of rain. Flanders was thoroughly drenched and anyone standing on the lower slopes of Oude Kwaremont would have sunk into the mud. The early long 2600m sectors of cobbles were properly bone shaking. Manages to get up quite a few of the cobbled bergs but grades over 15% defeated all but a few. A long flowing downhill section before the Paterburg left me in my biggest gear, so had to dismount as soon as I turned right. Changed into my smallest gear and had a friendly push from a local up the hill. The Flemish spelling of Descent is Decent and they were signposted accordingly. Most them were decent but the cobbled descents were alarming. All in all a wonderful but at times terrifying event.
Sounds great, did you get a few beers as well?

What a difference a day makes...
Yesterday 3 deg on my Garmin, wind, rain, so many layers I could hardly move.
Today 18 deg, sun, and shorts for the first time this year. Cycling is so much better when you're not loaded down with jackets etc, though I do need to do something about that extra 5kg that seems to have appeared over the winter. I might even get the summer bike out of the garage for a check over.

advertisement

Back