advertisement

Croft integrated

Hi Paul,

It's a pleasure to once again - assist where I can?. What on earth made you get rid of the Merlin's?, I've found them very musical speakers. But as several friends of mine have told me just how much they're enjoying the Kef LS50 I can understand why you might enjoy them as well.

And being an avid proponent of Sound Anchors everything - I feel you on that end as well - but custom sized stands once, and become with it I'd say. But being a Mini-Monitor lover since my beginning, I've always known just how easy many of them have been to drive over the years since - and have always known that a good 15 - 38 w/pc in most cases is more then enough - even in the room sizes we've here in the states - not of the ones I've owned, have never felt as if they weren't capable of driving said space.

Let me know how things work out for you on one of the Sonneteer's?, as the owner of May Audio ( Nizar ) died awhile back - and it seems the company mightn't be a well organized as it once was, you might want to consider getting one there for American voltage consumer - after all it would be cheaper as they're double the prices here - whereas my old Campion cost me $2.000 here - but is a mere £900 there.

Just food for thought.

Regards,
o_Oh
I was thinking about the Alabaster and getting it from a dealer in the UK at a much better price then in the US even with the shipping. They look like a good UK made product.

I was thinking about the Alabaster and getting it from a dealer in the UK at a much better price then in the US even with the shipping. They look like a good UK made product.
No VAT to pay so it will drop the Uk price by 20 percent.

Please note that the Alabaster and the Campion and Orton have slightly different sounds whereas I'd have to say to my ears after owning the Campion ( and now admittly regretfully sold it ) found it on the warmer/richer side as compared to say something like a Naim Nait 2 ( olive ), but have been informed that the Alabaster leans more towards a direct sound vs the other two.

Also take into account the Campion has a excellent MM phono-stage built in just in case at some point you intend to use a Turntable via said system.

You can ask our own ArtK or Alco their opinions on these - as I'm aware both of them have owned both the Alabaster and Campion at different times - it seems that much like me Alco has a stronger preference for said Campion.

Just worth mentioning said differences in sound, as well as the phono-stage option.

Peace,
o_O scar

Sonneteer no longer manufacture the Campion.

Hi there hifi_dave,

Thanks for the update, not that I understand their way of thinking?, as some users would in fact see an on-board phono-stage as a luxury in that sense. But in hindsight - I guess forcing consumers to go after the two more costlier units seems to be the norm these days.

I for one am sadden to see it discontinued - I made the mistake in letting it go, when in hindsight I should've merely stored it for those moments when the weather called for a cooler running amp then tube based ones - as well as for the sake of having a different presentation within reach when needed?.

But you know the old adage - haste makes waste.

Cheers,
o_O scar

Apparently, they hardly made a bean on the Campion so, reluctantly, they decided to cease production.

Trust me, I do understand marketing - yet, they should think about those of us whom still use and/or often prefer a turntable as our main source - as not everyone wishes to own outboard phono-stages as this means extra cost not only for it, but then items like another power cord and pair of interconnects.

In which sense simplicity makes for a greater investment - but as I'm not a designer, but a music lover whom prefers having said options to buy as I see/hear fit.

o_Oh well.

Slightly confused by this thread, because I can't work out if you are/were interested in Sonneteer, Aussie 1. The Orton is one of those ss amps that wouldn't tire your ears, I can promise that; its a lovely and refined thing. It's not quite as good as a Croft 25R/7R - it doesn't have the same richness and depth, but then that excellent Croft pairing is a good bit more expensive. I haven't heard the Integrated R, although I've no doubt it's fantastic. Would be interesting to compare with the Orton.

Slightly confused by this thread, because I can't work out if you are/were interested in Sonneteer, Aussie 1. The Orton is one of those ss amps that wouldn't tire your ears, I can promise that; its a lovely and refined thing. It's not quite as good as a Croft 25R/7R - it doesn't have the same richness and depth, but then that excellent Croft pairing is a good bit more expensive. I haven't heard the Integrated R, although I've no doubt it's fantastic. Would be interesting to compare with the Orton.
I am needing a integrated for a different system and hear good things about Sonneteer . I have no idea what the Orton costs . I asked Oscar because I know he had one of their amps. The integrated R is one of the best amps I have had regardless of cost.

The Orton is £2k in the UK, and the Alabaster about £1200 I think. The Alabaster is quite a bargain. They almost never come up used.

EDIT: It seems the Alabaster has had a bit of a price hike - now £1495!

The Orton is £2k in the UK, and the Alabaster about £1200 I think. The Alabaster is quite a bargain. They almost never come up used.

EDIT: It seems the Alabaster has had a bit of a price hike - now £1495!
I have a Rega Brio R in the other system and it is a good amp but . I love some of the integrated's made in the UK as I think you guy's do them better then most. No VAT in my cost so the Alabaster looks even better.

I just find it hard to listen to ss amps for to long as my ears grow tired . At least most of them.

I have a Rega Brio R in the other system and it is a good amp but . I love some of the integrated's made in the UK as I think you guy's do them better then most. No VAT in my cost so the Alabaster looks even better.

Great fan of the Little BrioR myself

Its definately softer on the ears than Alabaster/Campion while Orton is another matter, as Andrew rightly points out.

In my ownership I thought the Sonneteers (except Orton) were quite hard hitting sound, great on rock and some jazz
Offcourse final result will depend on your actual setup, you might find the amplifiers just fine, maybe rethink if ears getting SS tired or at least listen first.
TBH I preferred the BrioR in my secondary room in that period

If I should point out another suggestion of good British amplication for secondary room without knowing rest setup:

Onix OA21
Ion Obelisk
Myst TMA
Early Nait or 62/110
Linn Majik-i
Exposure XV/XX
Sugden A21a
amo

I have owned the Alabaster, Campion and Brio-R. My wife is presently using the Brio-R. I owned the Alabaster and then had some financial difficulty and had to give it up and at present the Campion is my primary amp.

For sound I prefer the Alabaster to the Campion by just a hair. They have nearly identical sound with the extra beef in the power supply meaning more punch and a bit more detail in the middle for the Alabaster. Also the low end is better defined. I do love the internal phono on the Campion and for convenience it is a wonderful amp. Both the Alabaster and Campion are in a league far above the Brio-R, if not I would be running the Brio-R and my wife the Campion. The phono preamp in the Campion is light years better sounding and more quiet than that in the Brio-R. That said the Brio-R is a stunning achievement at it's price.

After having my Croft for just over 6 months now I am enjoying it more each day . A bargain as far as I am concerned.

Aussie, I think the Croft is a fantastic, simple looking piece of gear. This is the way I like it. With fantastic sound to match I am sure.

I wish that the "R" version of the integrated was available here in the US-at least I do not think it is.

Tim

A bit late in the day, but I have just caught this thread. The Campion although never quite officially ceased production and we have sold a few since this discussion began has been over taken by the Alabaster in popularity to the extent that we probably sell 30 or so Alabasters to every Campion these days. We do get the odd request to add the Campion Phono stage into the Alabaster and we have done so though at the cost of waiting as the phono pre-amp has to be (parts)ordered and built from scratch as we don't stock them any more. The demand for it though has not been obviously high. I am sure if there is a groundswell of opinion in favour then we would consider it as an official option there too. Always happy to listen to what you all have to say.

From a personal point of view and reflecting on the sound, the first Campion (which I have in my sound recording room at home) is a little softer and more laid back than later models. The later Campions, in my view, were more akin to the Alabaster anyway, which my favourite of all the amps I (we) have designed. The changes are subtle and really only noticeable if you take a Campion from say 1996 and one from this year. ROHS compliance had a lot to do with some of the changes.

If the way they are walking does the talking then The Alabaster is our king. One the UK's best dealers tell me that the Alabaster is their best selling amplifier (£1000 to £2000). I have recently graduated to an Orton.

Haider

advertisement

Back