advertisement

Croft integrated

A terrible hair piece on his head that I'm not sure about.

OMG - don't talk about the Doo. It might jump up onto your face and eat you alive. Oops!, I'm sorry I've exposed my one fear " Zombies ".

Where were we?. That's right breathing hair pieces - good one.

Paul,

When you get back stateside - you've to hit me up. There are quite a few concept I've to share that I think that you just might be open-minded enough to relate to - like said Isolation Devices from the likes of Shun Mook - Yamamoto Sound Craft and Symposium Acoustics that I'd then send you way to demo.

To me the greatest thing I can say about this hobby is " Hearing is Believing ".

And I'm an avid tweaker with said devices, as well as viewing each and every components as one - as they've to form a collective whole.

Keep me posted upon your DOA?. And you should know by now - I'm getting on you about your choice of tubes in your Croft - yeah it's coming.

So get ready for your time out period. Because you've been a bad boy - now go to your room.

I got your back on this one as well.

o_O scar

My wife is away as It is fall break for her and son and my music time as she hates my jazz . My time with music is important to me but she doesn't understand. Irish girl gives me a heedache .Abba music is not my thing.

My wife is away as It is fall break for her and son and my music time as she hates my jazz . My time with music is important to me but she doesn't understand. Irish girl gives me a heedache .Abba music is not my thing.

So, it's big boy time is it?.

Dude - I'm so happy to have a wife that was into jazz when we first met, and listens with me each and every morning after coffee. She has always pushed Vinyl and Tubes being part of our system since first hearing my first amp ( Quicksilver 8714 Monos back in 1989 paired with an Audible Illusions M3 afterwards followed by a few Cary Audio amps ( SLA-70 - Sweet 807 and finally a 300B-SEI ) and many more to follow based upon the use of EL34s - hence my username in one variant or the other used on various forums since 1999.

They don't have to love/appreciate our taste in music - in so much as letting us be - and not stress the issue of what brings their husbands pleasure - as my wife would tell yours

" I'd much rather my husband be enjoying himself at home with his music - then being underneath a woman somewhere in the streets ".

Run that option by her. Hindsight is - it's the truth.

:rolleyes:scar

Cheers Oscar
You have some fairly exotic kit!
Thanks for the tips - have Crofts, Prima Luna and Cayin on my list.
Good tip on the Line Magnetic Audio. Will keep a look out

Hi banjoman,

First off - it's nice to see/hear that you're at least open-minded enough to venture out towards tube integrated's - at present I've three of them as follows:

(1) AudioMat Arpege Reference 10

[ EL34 based - Designed in France, sold out of Canada. Puts out 30 w/pc and used three 12AX7s along with a quad of said EL34s, and I still admire/adore its overall sound - but..... ].

(2) Audio Renaissance LS-845-5

[ Chi-Fi amp that uses 845s driven with 300Bs along with 6SJ7s puts out 22 w/pc - as shown in this ad: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/455917 this amp weighs nearly 75lbs and just doesn't get moved in and out of the system much because of my shot left knee/ankle - I merely can't move it by myself as I just don't have the leg strength anymore to do so - beautiful sounding amp - enough so that I've gotten to offers on it - so we shall have to see what comes of it?. ]

(3) Woodham Audio Kalypso by CR Developments

[ This was an upgraded version of CR Develpoments standard Kalypso - uses EL84s - puts out 15 w/pc - not the best selection in transformers as several guys pointed out here awhile back - that I allowed to get under my skin. But in my mind - the sound I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with. And the wife approves of the affair. It's nice having someone whom understands our passion - is it not?. ].

If you're considering said Hybrids - then the only three worthwhile ones that come to mind at different price points of course are said Crofts - Pathos Acoustics TT or Classic One MK III and at the higher end of the spectrum - the one I'd own, if I hit the Lotto ( but seeming that I'm not into gambling - I won't happen ) is the Acoustic Plan Sitar ( $11.300 ) stateside - but oh what a sound.

Also, if you're considering sound vs price as well as reliability - look into Cayin or Prima Luna - but if you're willing to gamble on one that I think that in a few years will catch the world by storm - look into the Line Magnetic Audio line - these amps are causing many music lover to rejoice stateside and with good reason - they play music better then some of the big boys at a lower price.

Just the facts.

Come on over - I personally think that you're in for quite an awakening.

Regards,
o_O scar

Cheers Oscar
You have some fairly exotic kit!
Thanks for the tips - have Crofts, Prima Luna and Cayin on my list.
Good tip on the Line Magnetic Audio. Will keep a look out

Cheers banjoman,

Unlike some, I'm willing to admit 13 more or less system configurations later - that I've made my share of mistakes and learned from it. Earlier on it was more about an attempt to mimic what the reviewers or friends would have me believe were the only paths worth pursuing.

Yet - as it is intended to happen as some point with maturity I woke up and realized that after each listening session shared with friends - no matter their thoughts on what they heard?, it was my ears/senses and preferences to which I've to please more. I've heard my share of expensive pieces that would cause one to sell off enough body parts to obtain such luxuries - but as I've taken a look very closely at what I've see as my own set points of the laws of diminishing returns - it came down to not investing more then $5.000 on any given component. Or as some of the snobby dealers these days would've us believe as entry level.

Well......, I'm not buying it - because not so long ago ( 1984/97 ) one could put together a well matched and thought out system for around say $6.800 max is you believe as I do in the front end first rule of thought?.

My funds are vested more on the Source with say a cost of said table - cartridge - isolation feet/platform/stand - phono-cable and power cord ( yes...., I had it changed out along with the ac male plug ) is about $7.500 give or take a penny/quid.

So logic was to pursue a phono-stage at the price points between $600 - $1.500 tops and go from there.

As an Integrated Amp sort of guy - I read/look about/at ones within that $5.000 range and merely browse the second hand sections on any given site/forum and have been fortunate enough to find certain ones half their original prices - yeah I'm into researching - not settling.

Then when it comes to Mini-Monitors ( my size of choice, because of their disappearing act ) I've based my ultimate at a logical price point as Sonus Faber Auditor M's ( $6.700 more or less with stands ) then get out to hear speakers for myself and using said point of reference both sound and cost wise - I narrow it down to four options and then down to the one with the least amount of trade offs that I'm willing to tolerate.

Then - finally the cables, as Roy Gregory pointed out over the years - it does in fact begin at the wall socket and moves upwards - power cord(s) - speaker cables and finally that most vital of them all that either pulls it all together or causes you to rethink your methods - sell everything and start over again.

I've learned to trust in what I listen to in two very important ways - using both my ears and heart - because much like that very caring - loving woman you wish to spend the rest of your days with - your heart is going to tell you if she's real - fake or merely a waste of time/energy/effort.

Speak softly in my ears - there's no need to shout or be rude - that's how I see/view women as well as a system I can call my own.

Weird eh?, but it works - if you seriously think about it for a minute or two, it'll sink in - BS is very easy to see/hear if you know how to look/listen for it.

Cheers,
o_Oh

I know less is meant to be more - but ask any female about that, and I'd wager she would disagree.

o_Oh ( no he didn't go there?, yes I did ).

Simple path for our music is what I mean as that delicate signal should be carefully handled. A Bubba.

Paul,

Upon your return home - Dude to I've some items to send your way. As you seriously slept on the Clear Day Cables - but I don't mine letting you borrow a few items like them - tubes and power cords and the likes.

As I'm a firm proponent of the old adage
Hearing is Believing.

In say case - the front end is vital, but so is the interfacing between amps and speakers - hence the right cable. But we will make a believer of you yet.

Be well - as always.
o_Oh

If I buy anything else for my hifi my wife will kill me. I will have to wait until I get my feet firmly planted back in Florida. My local dealer and I trade things back and forth and I have some older Merlin VSM-MXE I want to sell when I get home.

If I buy anything else for my hifi my wife will kill me. I will have to wait until I get my feet firmly planted back in Florida. My local dealer and I trade things back and forth and I have some older Merlin VSM-MXE I want to sell when I get home.

Hey Paul,

Dude - I understand. Which is why I've emphasized I'd loan you several items once you got home - because I think that you seriously need to hear them for yourself.

Maybe then...you'll understand my point?.

Until then.

Hey Paul,

Dude - I understand. Which is why I've emphasized I'd loan you several items once you got home - because I think that you seriously need to hear them for yourself.

Maybe then...you'll understand my point?.

Until then.
I had a long talk with Frank Van alstine way back when I had one of his amps. When I brought up some of these little tweaks to him the conversation was over. He just wouldn't buy it. An engineer to boot.

I had a long talk with Frank Van alstine way back when I had one of his amps. When I brought up some of these little tweaks to him the conversation was over. He just wouldn't buy it. An engineer to boot.

That's because he's into solid state gear - and ask both of us tube lovers know - it's prefect to begin with. But as I continue to stress " hearing is believing ".

In due course upon your return, I shall show you what's what.

Paul, enjoy your weekend and I await your return home. We shall get you through this.

I think your room is the most important thing to get right.

I'd too agree - as I often try to inform others when asked about buying speakers, one should always look at what fits their room/space in regards to said speakers and then a amp capable of driving said room/space properly.

But then we here in the states must realize we tend to have larger spaces then most and must buy accordingly.

Once again - be thee well.

I am listening to my Kef LS 50S now and what wonderful speakers they are. I don't like little boxes for the most part but these with 50 watts sound very good with my rega brio r in office with Cardas neutral reference cables.

I am listening to my Kef LS 50S now and what wonderful speakers they are. I don't like little boxes for the most part but these with 50 watts sound very good with my rega brio r in office with Cardas neutral reference cables.

Paul,

As I've been an avid Mini-Monitor lover from the very beginning, I just can't see owing anything beyond the size of a lunch box. And most visitors have appeared to follow my lead. So in those rare cases " size doesn't matter ". But don't ask a female about that - as some might have their feelings hurt.

Lined with book shelves and records is very nice way to go .I am 53 and no beginner to this hobby of ours as my grey hair shows.

advertisement

Back