advertisement

Cricket 2024

I know we are generally test fans but the South African T20 tournament on now is exceptional, So much better than the Aussie Big Bssh. Amazing talent on display. Lots of Engidh players, Buttler, Roy, Sam Curran, Livingstone, Ali, Rashid and others plus De Kock, Klaasen, Pollard et al. Also, at stunning locations.

I'd prefer to watch Bangladesh v Ireland, play a silly one off bore-draw Test, at.. erm.. somewhere boring.

I honestly can't watch 5 mins of 50 overs, let alone bishbosh 20-20. I know I'm the only one, but I find limited overs cricket so devoid of intelligence that I just feel stupid watching it. Same with TV food adverts (or car ones thesedays), or CGI in films. I just find it too -dumb- that's it. Some recent final was an exception I admit (Eng v NZ? but only last 15 mins or so).

I did watch beefyB & viv richards playing for Somerset though, whacking sixes in the JPS Sunday League in my cotwsold town park (Gloucs ground for such 80's whack-fests, bizarrely enough) early 80's. Fun & my heros right there?! but pure braindead nonsense I thought, even as a 9 year old. I was watching Tests at this age! Mind you 1981 Ashes of course.. how can -any- cricket compare, to the Headingley test for eg?

Capt

Of course nothing is better than a good Test Match.
But watching (or even more important playing) cricket is a minority interest that has been reducing for decades.
The survival of the game in any shape or form depends on limited over.
Personally I find 50 Over has just enough connection to real cricket to reveal talent and tactics.

But watching (or even more important playing) cricket is a minority interest that has been reducing for decades.
Personally I find 50 Over has just enough connection to real cricket to reveal talent and tactics.
Most amateur players at the weekend play 50 over league club cricket (+ or - a few overs). It is usually where future County Players start. So, most understand that length of game.

I understand your point, it is a necessity. But like the hundred (still going? no idea) I think the format needs scrapping.

I have wondered if we could "mix test with one-day". What I mean is lengthen it a bit, & have 2 innings each. Say 40x4. Either continue the innings, with a break of the other team's 40, then back continuing a teams first inngs.. or have two full innings each. This would introduce the "3-D" aspect Test cricket has, more "meaningful" overs as it were. Then the toss is more even too; one thing that's so flawed to me about ltd overs cricket, is the team chasing the runs.. has a huge advantage before the game's even started. If there was a % of teams winning toss & bowling 1st, I bet it's 95%.

A mini test match. Ideally 50x4, over 2 days too.

Capt

WI 188 all out. ( Adelaide Oval, green seamer, overcast/ swing from the off too).

Aus 59-2 at stumps Day 1. Interesting watching from 11:30pm tonight..

Capt

84-3. Joseph has got all 3, young lad, legs it off twds boundary each time cockahoop.. his teammates all follow!

Khawaja there on 38, like a boring obdurate limpet. Head aimessly flailing at a few. Vaughan commenting. Good stuff.

Capt

I have just enough patience to watch a T20 match. I don't know how anyone follows a 5-day test match.

Aus all over WI in 2nd innings.. predictable. They were 0-2 at one point. I turned off.

Joseph though on his test debut, told his teamates "I'll get a wicket first ball". And then he bloody well did!

He picket up five wkts. And he got 36 at no.11 too, a WI record I think.

Capt

England 225/8 so far. Is there no BBC coverage of the test match vs India? Surprised not to see an evening recap on the schedule.

Crikey. Hartley's first 3 overs in Test crix.. 30 runs from them. Never known of a more expensive debut. Oooff. And given a 4th over, 1st ball 4 runs. JesusH. India scoring at 6.7 / over!?

You don't win anything with kids. Maybe this series has already been written off with an eye on rebuilding...

Very entertaining last hour, why Test cricket is so damn good.

WI were 65-5 earlier, & rallied with some outstanding lower order batting, to 266-8 at stumps.

Watching Starc & Cummins steaming in from huge run ups with a new pink ball, on a hot evening.. to get stroked for 4 by a WI no.9 = pure joy.

Some other game going on too I think.. Capt

Steve Smith is being a fkn master against a swinging pinky on a humid Gabba evening. 5 fours he's hit have been stunning.

190 odd to win. Kawajha out. Proper contest this.

advertisement

Back