advertisement

Cricket 2023

Don't know why we have painted ourselves into a corner over this - bring in Foakes FFS and put Bairstow in at 3. Woakes is just the kind of back of a length, luke warm bowler the Aussies love to smack around and he has never succeeded with the bat against them either. Lawrence is a bag of nerves at the best of times and not up to the fight against our biggest foe imho.

The only way to stop being a bag of nerves is to play. Crawley was a big bag but looks to be a bit more settled now.

Ben Foakes test batting average is 32.2. How the hell is he not being brought in to replace Pope? He’d bring a bit of stability to the middle order, to counteract the chaotic Bazball approach. I wonder if there’s something more to his omission.

Don't know why we have painted ourselves into a corner over this - bring in Foakes FFS

Must admit I’m baffled by this, it’s not as if he’s a mug with the bat. He reads the innings well when it comes to what is required and it would certainly stem the flow of extras and improve the chances of avoiding missed chances.

Cricket, strange game. I'm not a big follower so I thought it was quite funny actually. The decision was absolutely clear within the rules and correctly called. Calling the Aussies cheats is loutish behaviour IMO. No wonder they hate the whinging Poms!
Well you admit to not being a big follower but still like to make an Ill-informed comment. The Aussies are actually cheats but just not in this instance. I think most people have moved on from this controversy & it probably didn’t effect the overall outcome of the game.

Brooks looks a one trick pony to me (admittedly I’ve only seen the first two Ashes test so maybe I’m missing something?) - the Aussies have sussed him out and he won’t increasing that average imo.
He’s actually played very well & been incredibly unlucky, especially in the first test. So yes, you seem to be missing quite a lot;)

Brooks looks a one trick pony to me (admittedly I’ve only seen the first two Ashes test so maybe I’m missing something?) - the Aussies have sussed him out and he won’t increasing that average imo.

He looks way out of his depth against this bowling attack. Fine averaging highly against county bowlers but this most certainly ain't that. That appaling shot/ dismissal (with his MLB stickered bat) seen enough for me right there, & his hook shot's the most suspect, with these 3 tests going to be packed with short stuff. A hopeless inclusion as he'll likely play, on the basis of 'give him one more chance', then he'll be dropped if he underperforms yet again. Likely.

Foakes/Bairstow is a marginal call, don’t see the former as a replacement for Pope. Pope has done pretty well of late & I am not sure Bairstow is a number 3.

Ultimately you pick players & back them, the old horses for courses chop & change approach has never worked. Doesn’t Woakes have an exceptional record at home?

He's scored 950 test runs and 4 centuries in his first 6 or so matches at an average of nearly 70, including centuries away in Pakistan. If you want someone with a better start to their test career your two options are, <checks notes>, Sunil Gavaskar and Don Bradman.

I reckon I could make a bomb selling sandpaper to the queing fans at headingley.. hmm.

Despite our differences chaps, it's all set up for a belting first session on Thursday. I can't wait.

He's scored 950 test runs and 4 centuries in his first 6 or so matches at an average of nearly 70, including centuries away in Pakistan. If you want someone with a better start to their test career your two options are, <checks notes>, Sunil Gavaskar and Don Bradman.

You're missing the obvious matthew. He hasn't scored any of these runs.. against Australia. Just crowned test champions. Ashes. It's up another level & 2-0 it is (& that's with -both- tosses won, &, with the weather conditions favouring england with bat & ball throughout both tests).

I reckon I could make a bomb selling sandpaper to the queing fans at headingley.. hmm.

Despite our differences chaps, it's all set up for a belting first session on Thursday. I can't wait.

Neither can I as me and yon lad have tickets for the Truman Stand. Cricket hat, sun cream and Sky radio thingy which clips to your ear all packed and ready to go. A cost free day for me too - the deal is I bought the tickets so my son buys the beer and food all day.

The only way to stop being a bag of nerves is to play. Crawley was a big bag but looks to be a bit more settled now.

Do you remember Jason Roy last time round - started confidently enough having just come off the 50 over WC high but by the end of the five test series against Oz he looked more like Bambie on the ice lake.

Set up a stall selling sandpaper, bags of soil, Murray mints, beer bottle tops and Vaseline.
That should cover all bases..

advertisement

Back