advertisement

Cricket 2023

Headingley used to be a seamer's wicket providing it's cloudy overhead. Can't remember if it spins much. Anyway, Oz without Lyon so might go with four fast bowlers (Bolan could be very dangerous).

Headingley used to be a seamer's wicket providing it's cloudy overhead. Can't remember if it spins much. Anyway, Oz without Lyon so might go with four fast bowlers (Bolan could be very dangerous).

Flat as a pancake with the sun out.

Most pitches in the country are laid in the same way these days with Ongar/Surrey blended loam and dwarf perennial rye grass.

Looking back to 2019, England win the toss and fielded because of the clouds with Archer taking 6/45 as Oz scored 179. we were all out for 67 the next day in sunny conditions but my memory is the pitch flattened out after that as the sun got to work on it and it was very hot when Stokes did his day four heroics.

Cricket, strange game. I'm not a big follower so I thought it was quite funny actually. The decision was absolutely clear within the rules and correctly called. Calling the Aussies cheats is loutish behaviour IMO. No wonder they hate the whinging Poms!

He could be swapped out I guess. This squad was announced immediately after the game on Sunday

Yes, I think it's all part of the once you are in we will support you ethos, so they named them all and will give the injured chance to be fit even if it's quite remote.

Cricket, strange game. I'm not a big follower so I thought it was quite funny actually. The decision was absolutely clear within the rules and correctly called. Calling the Aussies cheats is loutish behaviour IMO. No wonder they hate the whinging Poms!

You are correct, it was within the rules, but some things are just not 'cricket' this being one of them. Please read Stokes' statement and maybe you will understand why many were aggrieved, but I would never call the Aussies 'cheats'.

Talk is cheap. Had the boot been on the other foot, Stokes would surely have gotten — at best — a mixed reaction from the same self-righteous spectators if he'd withdrawn the appeal and lost the game.

No-one complained about the spirit of the game in 1981 when John Embury threw down Kris Srikkanth's stumps. The batsmen himself said “Even today, I feel it was my mistake. I was out. Emburey was within the rules. Otherwise it wouldn't have been out. You have given an opportunity to the opposition to get you out, and they've grabbed it".

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/101473292.cms

Talk is cheap. Had the boot been on the other foot, Stokes would surely have gotten — at best — a mixed reaction from the same self-righteous spectators if he'd withdrawn the appeal and lost the game.

No-one complained about the spirit of the game in 1981 when John Embury threw down Kris Srikkanth's stumps. The batsmen himself said “Even today, I feel it was my mistake. I was out. Emburey was within the rules. Otherwise it wouldn't have been out. You have given an opportunity to the opposition to get you out, and they've grabbed it".

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/101473292.cms

As you implied earlier - you don't know much about cricket.

As a wise man once said better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you might be a fool rather than open it and prove them right.

Other threads on subjects which you also nothing about but, nevertheless you hold certain and forthright opinions on,are available.

Last edited:
I can't say I'm in the doldrums @Spraggons Den about Pope if so.. the most forgetful (me not him) batsman I've known in an england team. I can't even picture him, or even what bat he uses. Amazed he was (vc) in the squad.. not Broad.

I'd ditch Brook, another one whose not impressed me. Shift Bairstow up one, & then pop Moeen in: he has experience which -might- mean he doesn't go bazball potty at very silly times, & the tail -might- just take a leaf from his book if so & use their brains a bit more. Probably not tho.

I'm sure Stokes would have GOT a good reaction from spectators and fans had he withdrawn the appeal.

I would not change the squad apart from injuries. Pope injured? Move em all up on from Root. Anderson is a more interesting question. I would play Wood, for extra pace, so it will be interesting to see who they leave out.

Dropping Brooks will not happen. He's already shown he's the future, and this management don't drop after one poor test - quite right too.

Agree with everyone on Brook. He has all the natural talent in the world and is a big part of England's future. Also a bit of a wobble is not uncommon for young batters as other teams get more of a look at them and find ways to get after them.

I can't say I'm in the doldrums @Spraggons Den about Pope if so.. the most forgetful (me not him) batsman I've known in an england team. I can't even picture him, or even what bat he uses. Amazed he was (vc) in the squad.. not Broad.

I'd ditch Brook, another one whose not impressed me. Shift Bairstow up one, & then pop Moeen in: he has experience which -might- mean he doesn't go bazball potty at very silly times, & the tail -might- just take a leaf from his book if so & use their brains a bit more. Probably not tho.

Sure, Pope is the only one of the top 7 in the team not to have a score so far in the series but the management like him. The test will be won or lost on the quality of our bowling not our batting and hence who the selectors go with for the Headingley conditions.

Brooks looks a one trick pony to me (admittedly I’ve only seen the first two Ashes test so maybe I’m missing something?) - the Aussies have sussed him out and he won’t increasing that average imo.

advertisement

Back