advertisement

Covid-19 Response Committee : Cummings Tells All?

The session just starting is apparently the most damning account of the failings, as if the first few hours wasn't enough.

Just remember you are pinning your flag to Dominic Cummings' flag.

I’m absolutely not! I just think (actually know!) Johnson, Hancock and the rest of them are a bunch of lying crooked egotistical shitheads who have killed tens of thousands of the most vulnerable unnecessarily and stolen £bns of our tax revenue in the process. In any sane society they should be awaiting criminal process. Anything that helps expose their crimes and causes them damage in any way is to be applauded. Cummings is just enabling a spotlight to be shone on some of the things our corrupt kleptocracy/oligarchy usually manages to suppress. That doesn’t mean I like or respect him. I have no time for anyone who would enable a vacuous self-interested shit like Johnson or help design the disastrous Brexit his government has inflicted on this nation. I just want to see them get exactly what they deserve for the economic/social damage and loss of life they have so directly caused. All of them. Including Cummings.

Cummings: PM blocked 2nd September lockdown advice from SAGE. Even Hancock wanted a 2nd lockdown. No formal cabinet meeting to form this decision, it was PM deciding on his own against the SAGE advice.

Cummings just confirmed the PM said "let the bodies pile high" in his study. Sickening if true.

I never thought for a second he hadn’t said it. It all fits with the crackpot libertarian Trump ideology.

Cummings wanted to change the way Whitehall was organised and ran. He wanted to see Lions in the top jobs instead of the elitist privileged Donkeys running the ship. He could only do that from within Government and he got a commitment from BoJo on this. I expect that much of this went out of the window once BoJo was in No.10 with his feet under the table. That's all he needed from Cummings.

The Great British public have spoken... Though I suspect the questions were 'Do you trust the backstabbing snake Cummings?' and 'Do you trust poor Boris who bravely battled the virus?'

E2Uz5zJXMAUa4mG

And finally (and this is just me) we have a better sense now of what's involved in turning the ship around, in terms of how science informs policy decisions. So it's one thing for the scientists engaged in tracking things to get a sense that things are bad; it's another for them to build consensus with colleagues; and it's another to convince government to act on the knowledge. It seems that powerful figures in government insist on cast iron proof and more that the hell mouth will open before doing things that are politically difficult for them, and 5 weeks doesn't look like being enough time to provide it.

I think this would be an excellent subject for a book.

Some good new material for your book today.

It's hilarious but we must also remember his motive and that is attacking this Government from the right. Cummings needs to be held to account himself...

Well to be honest I thought he sounded quite the lefty today. Financial support for isolation, establishment suppressing the most able in order to preserve their own privilege, openness. I wonder if Sunak and Cummings could create a new opposition

I've only seen the first couple of hours, so there may well be stuff I've missed which will make me eat my words.

A few things seem quite obvious as far as I’m concerned, and are fuelling my interest.

• Cummings will put a spin on things.
  • Cummings is capable of grossly lying.
  • Cummings isn’t a particularly nice person, and isn’t interested in being liked.

But also:

• Cummings’ testimony about the inner workings of government and the conduct of key figures is mostly true.
  • Everyone in Westminster knows that last bit, hence the overwhelming media focus on the proceedings.

A few things seem quite obvious as far as I’m concerned, and are fuelling my interest.

• Cummings will put a spin on things.
  • Cummings is capable of grossly lying.
  • Cummings isn’t a particularly nice person, and isn’t interested in being liked.

But also:

• Cummings’ testimony about the inner workings of government and the conduct of key figures is mostly true.
  • Everyone in Westminster knows that last bit, hence the overwhelming media focus on the proceedings.
Nailed it.

advertisement

Back